2013 CWC: Raja Casablanca - Auckland City (Quarterfinal Playoff) [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #1 Nico Limmat, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Date: 11.12.2013 (19:30 Agadir)
    TV Coverage / Convert Time Zone [​IMG]

With less than two weeks to go Raja Casablanca are showing nerves by relieving coach Mohamed Fakhir from his duties after poor domestic results. Tunisian Nabil Maaloul and the Portuguese Jose Romao are both contenders to replace him. I'm sure the developments at Raja Casablanca have the full attention of CWC regulars Auckland City (5th appearance) who would love nothing more than to frustrate yet another host after 2009.

The winner will face CONCACAF champions CF Monterrey in the quarterfinals.

2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #2 Nico Limmat, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

Raja announced Tunisian Nabil Maaloul as their new coach. Maaloul coached the Tunisian national team this year and Espérance Sportive de Tunis at the 2011 CWC. I guess it's a perfect fit since the Arabic word Raja, much like Espérance in French, also translates into hope. :D

Auckland City just gave themselves a perfect send-off by beating rivals Waitakere United in the ASB Premiership. Before entering Morocco they will have a short training camp in Barcelona with a friendly against La Liga outfit Espanyol. Let's see how they fare in that.

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    How they got here...

Auckland City (OFC Champions League)

Club Honours:

- 4 New Zealand League Titles
    - 5 OFC Champions League Titles

Of Note: 5th place at the 2009 CWC

CWC Participation: 5th (2006, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013)

It's a bit strange that Auckland have not won the domestic league since 2009 and instead continue to dominate the continental competition with now three consecutive titles, surpassing their entire total in domestic football. I don't think there is any other team globally that has managed to accumulate more continental titles than domestic ones. One for the trivia box?

Raja Casablanca (Moroccan Botola)

Club Honours:

- 11 Moroccan League Titles
    - 3 CAF Champions League Titles
    - 1 Afro-Asian Cup

CWC Participation: 2nd (2000, 2013)

4. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    Raja have everything to trample Auckland, but you never know what can happen with them. Sometimes they choke from nowhere even playing better than their opponent...I think Raja will win by a 2 goal margin.
    If fact, I would say that Raja is probably a higher threat to other clubs than japanese ones - a packed stadium with their supporters can change a whole game, and technically speaking they are better overall.

5. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    So, Raja have been here before, back in 2000, Brazil.

Three defeats in three games. Will they break their duck? They've lost to South American, European and Asian opposition. Is Oceania next in the line?

Any indication of how good Raja are? Last time out in CAF Champions League, they lost to Berekum Chelsea of Ghana 5:3 (lost away 5:0) and last continental action was in the 2012-13 UAFA Cup - a tournament for North African and Middle Eastern sides - losing in the semi's to Al Arabi of Kuwait - a nation that doesn't take part in the Asian Champions League until next year.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And yet, according to Mouhssine Moutouali, Raja fans look back fondly on their experience at Brazil 2000 - in the then group stage format.
    Link: http://www.fifa.com/clubworldcup/news/newsid=2231223/index.html

7. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    Believe me, good enough to be a surprise and even get to final. I follow Botola and specially Raja since 2004, and I can say they have a solid team. The team who played at last CAF CL isn't there, and their loss to Al Arabi was more unluck than anything - they were winning by 2-0 and suffered two strange goals at 88' and 92'. Acutally they also lost the Moroccan (Throne) Cup to DHJ at p.k., playing better the whole match.

But as I said, they are unlucky. By logical means I expect a win against Auckland and a tight match against Monterrey. If they reach the Semi, I think they have talent + supporters to win Atlético Mineiro, but not as favourites.

8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #8 Nico Limmat, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    RCD Espanyol 1-0 Auckland City:
    http://www.aucklandcityfc.com/news/article.asp?ID=801

While only a scrimmage against a mixed Espanyol side that is still a respectable result for a semi-pro team like Auckland. The Navy Blues are traveling to Morocco today and will be the first club to arrive.

Found footage of the aforementioned Raja - Real Madrid match in 2000:

9. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    But this is the odd thing I guess about Raja. They go into this tournament as complete unknowns effectively. We don't have any Champions League performances to base them on. All we really have is their history.

But, they should be better hosts than when Al Ahli and Al Wahda of the UAE were hosts. I don't know if there's any pressure on them at home to go far or if the lack or continental action will show this to be too much of a step up for them. Would actually be interesting if they were to win the Botola again and compare with a potential 2014 performance.

But as always, this first game won't tell us much. Auckland as ever have nothing to lose and might cause a surprise.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  10. freeman1

freeman1 Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Oslo
    Change of coach again for Raja because Al Jazeera Sports Channel (!) wouldn't let Nabil Maaloul terminate the contract he had with them as an expert at the studio! They have now given Faouzi Benzarti, also a former Tunisian NT and Esperance Tunis coach, the task of leading Raja to a decent result in the CWC.

All these off-field problems at the top of an already weak season domestically, and a coach that got like 5 days to get to know the players before the match doesn't really favor Raja. This episode really reflects the state of Moroccan football in the last couple of years.. Just to complete the joke that Moroccan football has become, i wouldn't be to surprised if a hard-working Auckland City actually got the victory in this match ;)

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    You do have to wonder how much the whole coaching circus will impact Raja. For a semi-pro side Auckland have been punching above their weight. By now they know exactly how to prepare for this tournament and their key players are largely unchanged. The defense is still led by Kiwi legend Ivan Vicelich, the most-capped player in New Zealand history. Their finest hour of course came in 2009, when they spoiled the competition for the UAE's Al Ahli before beating TP Mazembe for 5th place. Yes, the same Mazembe that wrote history the following year.

The Host-OFC curtain raiser doesn't always fascinate but could be interesting this year if Raja don't get an early goal. That said, I don't think Auckland have faced this kind of crowd before. Raja is by far the most popular club in Morocco and their fervent supporters will be on another level compared to the J. League crowds Auckland is accustomed to. The fact that the match isn't in Casablanca won't lessen the intensity, Raja will feel the Vox Populi (Latin: 'voice of the people') in the entire country.

12. JLSA

JLSA Member

Nov 11, 2003
    Nottingham Forest FC - 1 English Title - 2 European Cups

J

Nico Limmat repped this.
  13. freeman1

freeman1 Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Oslo
    I think a team from the other side of Casablanca would disagree on that, Wydad are just as popular as Raja.
    But even though these two clubs are the most popular, i'm pretty sure the local people of Agadir would rather buy tickets to watch Bayern instead of Raja. The spectators will be mostly Raja-fans taking the 4-hour trip down from Casablanca to Agadir, so the intensity will definitely be there. ;)

Auckland City has no injury concerns and the same goes for Raja, so both teams will be playing with their best XI!
    Players to watch out for; For Raja the star player is captain Mouhcine Metouali in midfield, with youngster Abdelilah Hafidi at the wing, central defender Mohamed Oulhaj and forward Mouhssine Iajour making up the rest of the players to watch out for.

In Aucklands case, can't say that i know to much about them but if i would take i wild guess some of the interesting players seem to be captain and central defender Ivan Vicelich , former Villareal player Cristobal and Fijian striker Roy Krishna.

I think we're in for a tight and entertaining opening game in this CWC. :thumbsup:

14. FocusXport

FocusXport New Member

Dec 11, 2013
    Club:
    Guangzhou Yiyao
  15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well according to the organizers they have sold more than 40K for this match. So either the road to Agadir will be jam-packed today or Raja has some local fans as well. Unless of course Agadir has a huge New Zealand expat community. :D

30 minutes to go. Unfortunately my attention will be divided with the UCL Schalke-Basel decider happening at nearly the same time.

16. freeman1

freeman1 Member

Sep 19, 2013
    Oslo
    I was serious when i said that most of the spectators in the stadium actually came from Casablanca, so i guess the road was jam packed earlier today :D The Raja fans are really passionate about their team and do travel in their thousands during away games in the league, but since this is something bigger then a normal league game they wouldn't have any trouble getting with them tens of thousands of fans. I would estimate that between 25-30k of the stadium are actually travelling fans ;)

Really bad timing by FIFA, putting the match up at the same time as CL. :unsure:

17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #17 Nico Limmat, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
    And we have the opening kick-off. The Raja fans are quite vocal already.

This must be the best attendance to date for the Host-OFC playoff match since it was introduced in 2007.

18. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  19. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    1-0 Raja in the 39th minute!

Now Auckland have to change their tactics....

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Football in Oceania seems to have regressed this last cycle. I cannot describe how bad The Nix are in the A-league. And now this...

22. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    HT: Raja - Auckland 1:0

All in all a well deserved lead. But Raja can not get complacent, with some of the taller Auckland players all it takes is a set piece to get back into it.

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And Auckland equalizes in the 63rd minute!

The pressure is back on Raja. This one's not over yet.

24. Bonizzoni

Bonizzoni Member

May 4, 2004
    São Paulo - Brasil
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkmenistan
    What I said about Raja being unlucky? :devilish:

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And Hafidi saves Raja from overtime in the 92nd minute!

FT: Raja - Auckland 2:1
    39' 1:0 [Iajour]
    63' 1:1 [Krishna]
    92' 2:1 [Hafidi]

Heartbreaking for Auckland who once again did not embarrass themselves. Far from it.