2013 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Or maybe she just had enough of whatever she had enough of.
    Or maybe she saw one of her teammates about to get cut because of the Germans coming in and said you know I'm moving on anyway, maybe I should quit and let one of my teammates who wants to play pro soccer keep her job.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Here is a question, who are the Red Stars cutting for the other German spot?

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the girl they drafted that went back to school (Hoy?) so 3 new players, with the departure of Folkes that means only 2 players would need to be cut.

4. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PA program at NW is two years with classes starting June. (I should have searched earlier).

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

holden repped this.
  6. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    Any ideas for a possible line up.

7. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am an engaged fan of the Chicago Red Stars. I don't think they have many fans who are first in line to buy season tickets, root with emotion for the team and/or spread the word to Chicagoans about coming out to a ball game.

But I also do not hesitate to voice my opinion and concern on an occasion.

It bothers me that the Red Stars have to advertise opponents stars in order to get fans in the gate.
    We have to advertise Abby coming to town and Morgan coming to town, etc. in order to attract fans.
    That's our problem, IMO. Other then Chalupny and Mcleod, we don't have top talent. We have some good but mostly average players. Or we have aging former stars.

I'm not second guessing Rory for chosing Bywaters. He had his reasons. he needed attacking players.
    But Mewis is a pure soccer player. A baller. I've watched her several times live this year and she has real soccer sense and ball skill. You don't pass up on good creative soccer players.
    And BTW, yes she can score as well.

Jen Buczkowski was there for the taking. A Chicagoan. Played for the Red Stars last year. A gutsy, work horse that could have been a perfect partner to Chalupny. I know they didn't know that Osborne would be hurt or Boxx would be gone most of the season. But Buczkowski is solid.
    And a crappy allocation doesn't help as well.

It seems to me that FCKC has made the right decisions and it is paying off for them.
    They have real, skilled on the ball soccer players, not just runners. Vlatko Andonovski is a European raised coach. He understands that speed and just running everywhere is not all there is to soccer. You must have players with ball skill that can hold the ball or put the ball on a dime.
    We have only one of those.

This season is pretty much gone for the playoffs. I don't see the CRS making it.
    Here's hoping that we get some good draft picks and talented free agents.
    For in Chicago we know well the saying, "wait till next year".
    Just my .02

8. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Mewis is a player right-out-the-box while Bywaters is developmental and in the mini-player (I spoke about how hard it is for forwards under 5'5" except for Marta) club. If I was looking for a forward/scorer, I would have passed on both.

Mewis is an ok club mid-fielder, not really better than Tymrak. I'm not sure where the scoring comes from, because she only has one goal off of a ball, just sitting in the box that anyone could have cleaned up on.

9. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    In speaking of Washington yesterday, someone on another board mentioned their efforts to bring in local talent and how that had to stop. Chicago also fell victim to this. U can argue Mewis and Bywaters all u want all u want but it tough to argue Tymrak and Quon. Quon was as big a reach as Bywaters. Most mock draft had her low 2nd or high 3rd. The same drafts had Tymak low 1st. They picked a local girl they knew. They did the same with Vancil in the 3rd round but she worked out. Next year they will likely have two of the top three picks. Again there is a good local girl in Vanessa DiBenidetto. Without knowing how her senior year goes she is prolly a low first or high 2nd rounder. She's a solid player who will play in this league. I believe they will take her with one of those two top picks because she wont be there for the 2nd round. U will then spend the season watching a player or two who they didnt take do better than DiBenidetto does.

I think what KC has isnt a European coach, but an American sports mentality in their front office. While a European coach brings a knowledge of the subtleties of the game, they dont really understand American sports management. Their r no trades. Instead they have a transfer window. There is no draft in Europe. They simply sign the players they want. The KC front office did better in the draft and has done better with trades because of their mentality. They turned Cuellar who was a ten minute player for them into a serviceable player in Noyola, the #2 pick in the supplemental draft (Krzysik) and the #10 or #11 pick in next years draft. They also did a great job building their team around the allocation they received instead of building to a set plan and trying to force players into a system.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There have been many posters on the various boards who have commented on how well FCKC controls the ball.
    That's because they have skill on the Ball soccer players! Red Stars have runners.
    Watching the Red Stars sometimes is like watching a pinball game. You never know where the ball will go next or from who it will bounce off of.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So Ella has a new Co-Host.

It's the Ella and .....show!

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    who's this dibenidetto? are you talking about the u20 midfielder?

her name is dibernardo.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    btw, do any of you red star fans know if jackie santacaterina is mike magee's cousin?

just saw an mls show about him which included his uncle michael santacaterina. I then checked the red stars web site which indicated that her dad's name is mike santacaterina.

14. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Found this tweet from Mike Santacaterina:

Mike Santacaterina@MJSanta
    Awesome having Mike Magee at Jackie's game today, after we all went to Mike's Fire game last night; amazing cousins!

15. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000

answers it. thanx.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is this Adriana Leon's family's business in Canada?
    LEON'S FURNITURE on her Twitter.

http://www.leons.ca/

I like the way this kid plays and I hope the Red Stars protect her and she stays in Chicago for seasons to come.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Now that the season is over, I'm wondering who is staying and who is going?
    Does the bulk of this team stay or is there going to be a turnover?
    Are the Germans coming back next season?
    Are the Mexicans coming back next season? Maribel Dominguez started playing more toward the middle-end of the season and scored some critical goals for the CRS, Dinara Garza got very little time on the pitch.
    Was it worth it for them? The Mexican coach is already voicing his concern over the lack of playing time for his players.

The Red Stars have some draft picks to consider in the college draft. What will Dames look for going into the college draft?
    Is Boxx coming back?
    Is LePielbet going to play for Chicago next season?
    Will offseason trades be made?

A lot of questions to be answered going forward to next season.

20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Mexican federation will meet with the USSF/NWSL people in September to see if they want to sign up next year, Cuellar (the Mexico womens NT main dude) is not (did not sound) very happy with the PT for his players.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Don't forget that CHI gets a USWNT player from SEA as well. The Red Stars could be very dangerous next year even if the Germans don't come back (though I really want Fuss to return...)

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He has every right to be. His players should have gotten some and/or more playing time especially with those teams that got knocked out of the playoffs. What would have been wrong for Dinara Garza to play the last 2 games for the Red Stars? The Red stars were playing for pride. Let her be part of that pride - win or lose.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I want Fuss back as well. Grings can go if she wants.

What USWNT player are we going to get from Seattle? Amy Rodriguez?

Obviously we want Lori Chalupny back. Red Stars Captain, best player, MVP, etc, etc, etc.

But I also want Adriana Leon back. I love the way she plays. The best move the Red Stars made this year was getting her, IMO. And Jen Hoy is on my list as well.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If we're evaluating everyone, I'll add Jackie, Taylor, and Taryn. (And I completely agree with your three.)

=edit=
    Quon is developing. I'd keep her. Mautz and Masar are on-and-off, but they've done well enough I'd like to see them back as well. Maybe Julianne and Lydia (the latter may be my Athletica alliance bias speaking...)

McLeod I've never been incredibly fond of, even if she is relatively good. Boxx and LePeilbet seem too much like question marks to me to be worth keeping.

25. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really good article on Boxx, mostly focuing on her life with Lupus, but there were some nice quotes about the Red Stars as well.