2013 Chicago Red Stars

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Dec 12, 2012.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Red Stars need a goal scorer and a good defender. Can't wait to see how they do when they come in.

2. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Youtube video on Red Stars offices and staff.

For those of you saying this team doesn't spend money, yes they do.
    A full staff. Not borrowed from an MLS team but out of their own pay roll.

3. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

All teams can only spend 200K. And since you mention Portland, I'm sure you have figured out ticket sales has already covered the salaries for the year.

4. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    200K is only the limit for the non-allocated roster. I've never heard of a limit on other spending.

5. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    I haven't heard of any other way to make payroll but allocated salaries ( which the confederations pay) and contracts that total under 200k.

As far as I know, everyone else must be an amateur under league rules.

Enlighten us as to what these other means to make payroll are....

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is a confusing between you 2.

Your original point could read as teams are only allowed to spend a total of 200K in all salaries (staff, players, sales reps, etc.)

Siberian is just saying that the 200K is the player salary only.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  7. westcoast ape

westcoast ape Member+

Nov 27, 2000
    Portland, OR
    MRAD12 was pointing to "staff", not players. Probably to address any concern about whether Chicago's owners were investing the proper amount of money into the operations side of this franshise.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  8. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    ForeverLOST108 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was actually talking about money spent outside of player payroll. Sales, Marketing staffs, etc.

One thing that Portland has over others is that they share some staff with Timbers. That's a big money saving thing in itself. So for those that say Red Stars are cheap and not spending money is not true. That was my point.

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  11. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
  12. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Apparently Quon is the 'mystery call-up' hinted to earlier - to the CanWNT.

13. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm hoping our new Germans will be cleared to play this weekend in WNY.
    It seems no one thinks the Red Stars will win a single game this year.
    Things need to start coming together.

14. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think people really think that, because there is always Seattle.;)

I didn't realize that Grings actually smiles.

holden and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  15. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read on Twitter that Grings and Fuss will not be available for the WNY game, but should be ready to go for the Portland match. On the injury front, Osborne is out with a sprained MCL, and McLeod is questionable with a fractured metacarpal.

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My understanding from talking to people is that the Red Stars players are very close to each other on and off the field.

The Ella and Carm Show: Ep. 3, Special Guest Erin McLeod

17. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    that was fun.

...and the ladies can sing!!

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, another loss. There is still time, but the window is closing.

I know we have injured key players, but that is no excuse any more.
    IMO, we need better professional players. There are only 8 teams in the league with tons of talent out there. I like the girls on the team and we have some very good players, but to me Lori Chalupny is the only one out there showing real top professional skill at this time, IMO.

I'll probably give this season a pass because there really wasn't time to prepare.
    But next year when we have the chance to pick a real impact player or a skilled player or the best player on the board, I don't want to hear how she doesn't fit into Rory's coaching style.
    Rory is now coaching professional players and should be able to pretty much coach any one.

The rah, rah, mentality and we must all be accountable and all that jazz is good but it only gets you so far.
    Soccer is a game of skill and skill needs to take over at some point to get you over the top to win games.

Next year in the draft or free agency lets get some players with ball skill and/or best player on the board, not just players that Rory can coach or fit his coaching style.

If Christen Press is available, you go get her. If Kealia Ohai or Crystal Dunn are available on the college board, you get her.

19. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the news keeps getting worse.. from Lauren Fowlkes twitter:

"Just wanted to update my Tweeps, I've decided to hang up the boots in order to pursue Physician Assistant School at Northwestern University. Although I know I will miss the game I love, I know this is an opportunity I cannot pass up. I want to thank my family and friends and all. Of my coaches, teammates (aka best friends) and fans for their support. Thanks for all of the memories! I also want to give a special thanks to all involved with the @chicagoredstars . I will be supporting you all throughout the rest of your season! "

20. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was the last thing I expected to read this morning. Best of luck to her in the future, but damn. That came out of nowhere.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well 1 less player to cut to get the Germans in the roster, I am sure is not one of the players the CRS would want to drop.

Good luck to her.

22. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fowlkes is a great and versatile player - I had the good fortune to meet her parents at a Flash game last year - great people. Best of luck to Lauren - her future patients will be in good hands.

It seems that Grings and Fuss have arrived in the nick of time.

23. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to wonder if this isn't going to be the last time we see this happen. With salaries as low as they are, there may be some more players who decide that it's not worth the hours of blood, sweat, and tears to toil away for very little gain.

holden repped this.
  24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As big Notre Dame fan I wish Lauren Fowlkes much luck. She obviously knows what she wants to do in life.
    Lauren has had a great soccer career. U-20 USWNT World Champion. NCAA National Champion at Notre Dame.
    I too have talked to her family, especially her dad on several occasions over the last two years. Very supportive family.

And you are right BlueCrimson, there may be more players who may say, you know what, I've had enough. Time to move on with life and start a real career.

25. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we should only be surprised by the timing of this; ie if in August a player says she is going to or back to grad school and that if it works out it would be difficult or impossible to play in the '14 season, we would not be surprised.
    In Fowlkes case, not knowing her course background or when the PA program begins, but if she also needs classes as prerequisites (such as chemistry, microbio, or anatomy, each with labs), to take them now in summer sessions would be nearly a full time effort.