2013 CFU Club Championship [R]

Discussion in 'Caribbean' started by EvanJ, Feb 9, 2013.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope details come out soon. Last year it started on March 25.

2. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I hope to see Jamaican team after long absence (last 4 editions).

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA wrote about how two days ago Old Road won the league in Antigua and Barbuda.

4. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Any news on this? We are 10 days in March already. :)

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
  7. Blastow

Blastow Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    And how many professional teams in the Caribbean islands? All will be reduced to the fact that from year to year in the Champions League clubs will be from Trinidad and Tobago and Puerto Rico Islanders or Antigua Barracuda.

8. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The CFU are getting as bad as the AFC. Why dont they just nominate who they want to play in the champions league?! Would save a lot of teams hassle.

I dont see the point in separating professional and amateur teams. So what if amateurs do better than the professionals?! Thats an issue for the pro-leagues/teams to sort out, not for the CFU/CONCACAF to come to their rescue and excluded the amateurs.

Its a champions league. Not "champions league for professional teams only, if you are a amateur team - **** off, even if you can beat professional teams we dont want you"!!

9. Blastow

Blastow Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

I totally agree. How they want to develop football in the islands when they are already not very popular? So it also infringe their rights. Became the champion of his country - and you're sent to the Amateur Tournament from which no benefit.

In Oceania for example, all member countries are connected to the continental tournament and was not watching: a professional, semi-prof. or an amateur you. In CFU/CONCACAF satisfied circus divisions and teams refusing entry to the tournament just because you do not have that status which by definition is not possible to have a small and sparsely populated countries.

Each year CFU operates all worse. Some stupid ideas, change the calendar and list of participants after the group draw, no normal schedule of tournament (CFU CC) - every year to different dates, no information of the preparation for the tournament all learned only after the draw, date is usually not even published for example on their website.

10. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    There are no professional teams in Oceania, most of them are amateur sides with few semi-pro teams like Auckland, Waitakere, Hekari. ;)

Puerto Rico Islanders won't operate this season so they will not take part in NASL or CFU CC, so there are no professional teams in Caribbean beside teams from Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica.

I agree, it is ridiculous. Even UEFA allows amateur teams to take part in their official competitions (Andorra, San Marino, Liechtenstein teams beside Vaduz...), and all of us know what does UEFA stand for - organization that only wants money.

I am sad with fact that this competition isn't improving as time goes by. Every year different format, every year different rules, no info until competition starts...

All teams must have right to compete and they (CFU) must implement format that will last for at least three years with no changes.

11. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Anything new related to this?

12. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I have found something. :cool:

Group 1
    W Connecton (TRI) host team
    Baltimore SC (HAI)
    Bayamon (PUR)
    Inter Moengotapoe (SUR)

Group 2 (April 26-30)
    Boys' Town (JAM) host team
    Antigua Barracuda (ATG)
    Caledonia AIA (TRI)
    Valencia (HAI)

Group winners QUALIFY to CCL directly.
    Group runners-up will play in two legged PLAYOFF to determine third team to represent CFU in CCL.

Jamaica returns after long absence. Only one group-stage round. Six countries involved.

EvanJ and fridge46 repped this.
  14. Blastow

Blastow Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine

It's all Professional teams? Or of mixed?
    I am glad that Jamaica again in the tournament. Really sorry that only one team represented. But am feeling that one team from Haiti just get into the Champions League :)

15. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Great find!! What is your source?

I dont know whether to be happy or sad. Happy that we finally have something about this competition. Sad that only 8 teams from 6 countries are taking part!!

Its nice to see Jamaica back, but why the Runners-Up and not champions Portmore?!

And why have Guyana/Curacao/Bermuda/etc... been excluded.

I think it would be a good idea for 1 host (on a rotation basis) to hold a competition with around 16/24/32 teams, like we saw in 2007. That way we see all the top caribbean teams and travel expenses kept to a minimum

16. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Blastow
    I don't know exactly, but I would say that teams from Trinidad and Tobago are professionals, Barracuda is pro, and I am also sure Jamaican team is pro team. Those from Surinam, Haiti and Puerto Rico should be semi-pro teams.

fridge46
    Portmore United decided not to enter due to lack of funds. Boys' Town entered as they were next in line to take part, and they, obviously, have funds.

When you already asked this, here it goes:
    Haiti
    2012 league winner Valencia and third placed Baltimore entered; runner-up FICA gave up their spot
    Trinidad and Tobago
    2012-13 league winner W Connection and third placed Caledonia AIA entered; runner-up T&TEC gave up their spot
    Antigua and Barbuda
    this FA is represented by their only pro side, that play in USL Pro, third tier in USA
    Jamaica
    2011-12 league runner-up Boys' Town entered; winner Portmore United gave up their spot
    Puerto Rico
    2012 league winner Bayamon entered
    Surinam
    2011-12 league runner-up Inter Moengotapoe entered (and is about to clinch title in 2012-13 season); winner Robin Hood gave up their spot

So, out of 8 teams, there are three national champions, two runners-up, two third placed teams and one that plays as only pro side from that FA.

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I gave dinamo_zagreb rep. Neither CONCACAF nor Wikipedia has that information. The next thing to find out is the schedule.

18. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    ceezmad repped this.
  19. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Costa Rican legend Walter Centeno joined Bayamon in their quest on CCL qualification. :thumbsup:

I have to praise that club and it's PR and website.

It seems like Antigua Barracuda gave up their spot and will be replaced by Jamaican team, but there is no official statment from both clubs, both national FAs or CFU.

20. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Groups listed above seem to be re-aligned:
    Antigua Barracuda and Caledonia moved to Group 1 and Bayamon and Inter Moengotapoe moved to Group 2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_CFU_Club_Championship

No direct berths for groups' winners as both winners and runners-up qualify to semifinal, as stated by this portal from Trinidad and Tobago http://www.guardian.co.tt/sport/2013-04-22/w-connection-caledonia-kick-cfu-campaign-friday

This portal, also from Trinidad and Tobago, gives something different on CCL qualification http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/CFUClub-confusion-204205801.html

People at Reggae Boyz forum say Portmore United will take part in Group 2.

CIRCUS!

fridge46 repped this.
  21. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    You seem to be one step ahead of me lol

One of the forums say Inter Moengotapoe have withdrew, which is probably why Portmore is potentially taking part.

Now with 2 Jamaicans added to the 2 Trinidad teams, the Haitien clubs have been screwed over big time, as I fancied one of them would make it through. Now they have to play two games essentially away... but lets see what happens

dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  22. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Who knows what teams will play?! :( LOL

Bayamon FC seems to be ahead of all teams that are taking part here... they just had press conference tweeted, presented team for CFU Cup and we can say that only they take part for sure... everything else is unknown.

They added Eric Reyes to their roster, NT goalie (if I am correct), along with Centeno and one player from Dominican Republic... I would be delighted if they qualify to CCL.

23. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I dont think the teams themselves know whats happening, fixtures have changed more times than I have had hot dinners.

The CFU need someone to take charge, maybe a fresh face, and who is committed to this tournement only. That way, things wont be announced at the last minute; teams want to know exactly where they will play, when they will play, and who they will play a decent amount of time before hand, say 1-2 months or so.

That will allow teams and players and officials to plan well ahead, organise their squad, rise some money, book flights and hotels, rearrange domestic fixtures.

I might just throw a spanner into the works and invite all the teams to play in my local park for a week, im sure I could offer more money than the CFU are offering, more people would probably turn up to watch it all as well.

24. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Yes, I share your opinion.

It is ridiculous to work nothing for whole season and then try to make it all in just few days. Give them draw, give them regulations, give them rules and what-to-dos 50-60 days prior start and you will see great competition... after all, those are best teams from Caribbean.

This looks ridiculous, disguisting.

fridge46 repped this.
  25. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia