2013-2015 U-20 Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by jsk14, Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Player rotation was bad but Japan had fatigue issues as well (along with one of the best player in the tournament out against Korea).

2. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Still seething. Goddammit I had such expectations and we lost to a team that lost to China and almost drew Vietnam. Fck everything Kim Sang Ho might be more retard than CKH.
    Fuuuuccckkkkkk this

Did Japan top the group? Goddamit they better lose to UAE or whatever.... OMG a win could have been Ez ticket to u20wc. .
    HOW THE FCK DO WE MISS OUT ON THE U20 WC DUE TO JAPAN HOLY CRAP

3. Kid L

Kid L New Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    sorry u guys :D
    we can't win China. I think that Korean team deserve to pass this group. China team is so poor. We led them 1-0 but unluckly, we let them come 1-1.

Do you guys notice our mid player Nguyen Tuan Anh (8)? He is the best player of U19 - Viet Nam :D

4. taukhua

taukhua New Member

Oct 13, 2014
    China PR
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How unlucky Korean is! But we can't deny the fact that U19 China got no lose in this group => Korean must blame themselves b/c not play better to defeat us. So our team is more deserve to pass.

5. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #405 Chaminator, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Looking back at the total playtime coming into today's game/the starting lineup of each teams:

<KOR>

1 gk Lee Tae Hwi - 2 games full time

2 df Park Jae Woo - 2 games full time

5 df Kim Chang Yeon - 2 games full time

22 df Pak Min Gyu - 2 games full time

20 df Lim Seung Gyeom - 2 games full time

6 mf Kim Hyeon Uk - 2 games full time

17 mf Kim Seung Ju - 2 games full time

8 mf Seol Tae Su - Rested against Vietnam, 70 minutes against China

19 fw Kim Young Gyu - 36 minutes against Vietnam, rested against China

14 fw Suh Myung Won - 66 minutes against Vietnam, full time against China

10 fw Kim Gun Hee - Full time against China, 83 minutes against China

<JPN>

1 gk Nakamura - 2 games full time

4 df Uchiyama - First game of the tournament

5 df Miyahara - First game of the tournament

12 df Nakatani - 2 games full time

21 df Ishida - Rested against China, 56 minutes against Vietnam

7 mf Kawabe - 46 minutes against China, 83 minutes against Vietnam

20 mf Ideguchi - 46 minutes against China, full time against Vietnam

15 fw Kaneko - 62 minutes against China, rested against Vietnam

13 fw Minamino - 2 games full time

14 mf Sekine - 2 games full time

19 fw Kitagawa - First game of the tournament

As it can be seen, Japan rotated half their squad in preparation for this game while only Kim YG and Seol TS for us got any real rest (and in Kim's case, only due to injury)... while our wingbacks and the two DMF's/CB's that play cover all played full 90 for all three games... in terms of defensive side of things at least, I blame the lack of rotation and fatigue playing a huge factor, and honestly think that they would have performed much better in that final game with more rest. For Kim Sang Ho to lay the main blame on the players' "overconfidence" afterwards as a main factor for the exit afterwards... just makes me shake my head :mad:.

Things offensively never really clicked either though, and to be fair to the coach, yeah, that plain lack of cohesiveness is definitely mainly from not having enough time to prepare the team. You could see all the players just trying to dribble their way through for themselves, with no real teamwork play going on (even the goal fest vs. Vietnam & Kim GH's goal against Japan was from basic, simple cross/individual plays). Interestingly enough that's the area Kim SH focused mainly on rotating, which in hindsight actually probably just contributed to things being even more out of sync in terms of attacking. The struggles of our OMF links in Lee JB and Seol TS, as well as wingers in Kim YG (who really disappointed) and Suh MW (Who did very well for the first two games then kind of faded for this one) definitely didn't help either... the substitution of Kim Shin (who was also out of form + even more out of sync with the rest) over more in-form Shim JH and taking out our most in-form goalscorer in Kim GH when we need a goal the most were mistakes too IMO. Baek SH I can't even really judge much on due to such little playtime he got, while Hwang HC looked out of form as well to be honest (albeit we already knew that coming in due to his recent injury)

Ultimately, I believe that Kim SH's indecisiveness against China was what lead to his failure in getting out of the group. I knew once China unexpectedly beat Japan that the things would become tricky (kinda like how things ended up in the 2006 WC). He either needed to go all-in for the 3 points or just rest the main core of players to focus more on the Japan match but he did neither... he had the wide GD lead as a safety net and yet he still went overly cautious, and ultimately paid the price.

Sadly no U-20 WC for this group, but these guys will likely be a core of the Rio Olympics group so hopefully they will redeem themselves there. With the coach likely being Lee GJ for that one, it'll be interesting to see what kind of changes he brings....

Seol Korea, Hodori, Jitevra and 2 others repped this.
  6. Keren

Keren Member+

Feb 15, 2013
    France
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Just to clarify about Japan, Ishida was not " rested against China " but just on the bench. Hirose was the starter but injured himself vs Vietnam.
    Okugawa would have also started, if he was fit.
    Kawabe subbed out vs China due to a little injury (Ideguchi on).

This turnover wasn't always a real choice. Quite the reverse.

Radu Razvan and takeuchi repped this.
  7. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Throwing his players under the bus talking about their 'overconfidence' when he failed to properly rotate...stay classy.

8. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC

hehe, you beat me to it. :D

9. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    In which case, I stand corrected on those :oops:

I suppose it ended up working in your team's favour anyways though. You guys outpaced and outran our guys all the way through. Plus the motivation of a must win game helped too I'm sure. You guys now get a decent rest before the important Quarterfinal game, wish you the best of luck against Qatar/Iraq/NK.

Kanuck repped this.
  10. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Just remembered what Lee GJ this in a interview after his Asian Games win:

" 리우올림픽 세대에는 우주성, 연제민 같은 능력있는 수비수들이 많지만 공격 쪽에서는 아쉬움이 많다."

, saying that we have good Defensive talents from our previous generation like Woo JS, Yeon JM, Song JH etc. but lacking in offensive side of things for the Rio Olympics. Hopefully many of our guys from this squad fill that void and become the offensive base for that squad. Looking forward to it.

jinseokyang repped this.
  11. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    oh yeah this is a good point... I could definitely see this happening but idk man it's LGJ so...

As for today though... why the FCK was PSH and HHC not played? Can someone find a rational explanation as to why arguably our two most talented players, who had a shitton of rest, missed a must win match against JAPAN OF ALL TEAMS and never started a single group stage match? With all the fcking depth we have you wouldn't think this would've been a problem (really should've rested the defenders + CM + KGH and SMW vs china)... goddammit KSH you're a moron

12. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    With Hwang HC, he was actually coming off an injury coming into this tournament so I can at least somewhat understand his utilization as a sub (though perhaps he should have been tried centrally as well instead of a WF). As for Baek SH, it was almost as if Kim SH never really figured out where and how to utilize him within the team. He seemed dead set on his DMF pairing of Kim Seung Ju and Kim Hyeon Uk all the way through, and only brought in Baek in late in offensive positions so I can only imagine that he didn't have much faith in his defensive abilities and only saw him as an OMF, but then he already had two other OMF's in Lee JB and Seol TS. Both were terrible overall and I can't really imagine Baek doing much worse in there, but maybe he was either mentally not ready or physically in bad shape, or perhaps a seniority thing...? Who knows how things were behind the scenes. And also to be fair, Kim SH never really had too many opportunities to try Baek out in pre-tournament friendlies, tourneys, etc. His under-utilization was baffling though after all the pre-tournament talk about how he wanted to build the midfield around him...

I think overall Kim SH just didn't have much faith in his bench, which explains his total lack of any meaningful rotation during this 3 games-within-5 days schedule. Again, I can only see how ironic all that was after how he boasted about the team's supposed "depth" pre-tournament.

13. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    so the "most talented" generation is the one that fails to qualify for the U20 WC for the first time in 13 years in the GROUP STAGE... at the hands of fcking Japan at that.. oh man the irony ... something obviously needs to change considering how fcking poor we've been in the recent U16/U23 games as well but knowing the KFA nothing's gonna happen

(on a side note didn't this same generation also fail to qualify for the U17 WC in 2012? Even after beating Japan 3-1? Dafuq is going on here... it all points to KSH..)

14. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    perhaps it isn't just the coach (easy scapegoat, i get it) but the players were bit overrated & overconfident? for example, Hwang Hee-Chan looked greedy when he came on as sub, Kim Shin looked flat in front of goal against China (most talk about Lee Jung-Bin's clear chance but Kim Shin had few chances of his own, but he fluffed it) and so forth.

edit: also, this team had the same issue as Korea U-16, 23, and the senior team. but it's a system issue more than just the coach.

15. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    well no shit they were overconfident and didn't quite play to their potential but overrated? You obviously haven't seen these guys play in the past

16. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    you guys need to calm down. we all knew going into this tournament that the team was extremely top heavy. while more lauded than the previous cycle the last cycle had a good mix of individual talent but had solid defense as well which this team lacked. they also had LGJ who is an extremely experienced coach who despite his cautious approach in the knockout stages of tournaments does a good job of building a solid team. this group could prove themselves individually but as a team they really lack the stuff needed for the next level. so while on paper yes it was full of talent over in europe it was no better than last cycles team imo.

17. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    true but how can you calm down after being knocked out in the group stages by Japan... it's embarrassing as hell and I'm still seething at this shit

18. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    no, i have not but didn't they (Hwang Hee-Chan at least) miss previous U-17 WC? i watched this tournament with interest based on early hype but excluding Seo Myun-Won & Kim Gun-Hee, the players did not impress.

19. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #419 Chaminator, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    When it comes to Japan, I can accept that it'll always be pretty much a 50/50 affair in regards to who's going to win, so loss in itself isn't hard to accept for me. In 2008 and 2010 (very hard fought match) it was us who denied Japan a WC berth at the last hurdle, two straight times at that so imagine how they felt. It's just the obvious lack of basic management by Kim SH that really bothered me. How this guy got this job after failing hard in both 2000 U-19, 2007 U-17 WC at home as assistant coach and Relegating Gangwon FC in the league, I'll never know.

This group was most unfortunate at the U-17 level in that they went out on Penalties to eventual champions Uzbekistan after winning all three group games (that was a different coach back then, BTW). They honestly looked much better than this current squad, actually. What's more unfortunate is that this is kind of an "in-between" generation, meanining that the generation before them will be the core of Rio Olympics, while they'll be too old for the Tokyo Olympics... So qualifying for either the U-17 WC last yr and U-20 WC next year was their only real chance to get a sniff at the world stage, but they have now unfortunately missed out on both. But as I said earlier, the previous generation has lack of offensive talent which this generation can fill, so hopefully we can still see the likes of Suh MW, HHC and KGH for the Rio Olympics.

jinseokyang repped this.
  20. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    this is what happens when u draw china. there was 2 clear cut chances that anyone of us here coulda put away

21. octavii

octavii Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This boils down to the level of player quality. I'm not sure that this U20 team was the best that Korea could field, considering that there were only 4 players that plays for a K-League club. I find it hard to believe that a rag-tag team full of University students are the elite of this age range.

22. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That brings another question - why do Korean players go pro so late

23. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This idiot said he played the Japan match to get a draw. He probably went for a draw (as it did) against China. What more is there to say. He is an idiot.

The players must be devastated right now. If over-confidence was an issue (who can blame them when you score 6 goals in first match) then he should have been the one bringing the calm to the players. What kind of U-19 manager blames over-confidence as the reason for failure? They are U-19 FFS.
    I still dont understand what his tactics were. Actually I dont think there was any tactics.

jinseokyang repped this.
  24. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    get an education in case football doesn't pan out I guess.

25. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The only failure(?) in that resume is the semi-finals in 2010 AFC U-19. But even then, he got the tickets to the world cup for the year after which really is all that mattered.

It's Choi Jin-cheol not Choi Moon-shik.