2013-2014 Columbus Crew Offseason Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't see half a season slowing Barson's development all that much if MP has to move into that role at game time. It's not like Barson will be mowing the grass while MP is playing.

I don't think Seattle having a better soccer mind has anything to do with the deal. It was a business choice. I hate losing Chad but I would bet 90% of clubs would make that move with all the factors involved. Seattle just has the money to throw around and take that gamble on him.

2. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont think anyone would say MM what connections but after doing deals with players, agents, and clubs he ought to know a few people he could call in regards to South American/Central American players.

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago won the lottery for Joya.

4. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did we put our name in the hat?

5. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    The Eyetalian Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This type of statement is the worst. Different teams, different situations. What makes sense for one team doesn't make sense for another. Sure, some players are worth it no matter what, but most MLS acquisitions are cast-offs from another team.

Seattle is trying to win a cup this year, and will do whatever they need to make that happen. They also have plenty of name recognition. They also also have (/had) a central defense that blows.

We don't expect to win a cup this year and need some big names. Parkhurst will have more infinitely more name recognition (especially if he makes the WC squad), a better/longer future, is more flexible, and costs about the same amount as Marshall.

6. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    And Parkhurst is starting in the middle for our friendly today

7. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nope

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Just Seattle (surprised right?), Chicago, and RSL. Chicago had like a 69%, Seattle 28%, and RSL 3%

9. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Interesting lineup for the 1st half:

#Crew96 lineups for first half vs Malmo FF:
    Lampson;
    Sweat, Slogic, Parkhurst, Barson;
    Baiden, Trapp, Anor, Higuain, Jimenez;
    Finley

(EDIT: Jardy just confirmed it's a 4-5-1... interesting)

10. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. We're so cutting edge offensively that we're playing a 4-6-0! Its exactly what they wouldn't expect!!!!

11. NewEnglandClamChowder

Jul 28, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Via Jardy: "The plan is for 22 Crew players to see game action. Each team of 11 will play for 45 minutes, and Berhalter said there will be no first or second team. Offseason addition Michael Parkhurst will play, but fellow new player Waylon Francis posted on Twitter last night that he will not play due to a minor injury."

12. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    So how much do we estimate we have left under the cap right now? I thought it was around 500k, but I must be off. We would need 700k to fit another DP and Marshall.

13. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    If we had to pay marshall 500k wouldn't that have made him a DP?

14. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I think the 500k kicked in 2015 didn't it? He was due around 350k for 2014, but I may be wrong.

15. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Anyone have the lineup for the first half? Easier for me to check this thread on my phone than look around for it.

16. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus Crew ‏@ColumbusCrew 18m
    For those following: R-L formation for Crew#96. Lampson; Barson, Slogic, Parkhurst, Sweat; Jimenez, Trapp, Baiden, Anor; Higuain, Finley.

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    You're right. Marshall isn't a DP in Seattle.

18. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a guy who is apparently getting less than a 25k bump this season, him getting a 150k bump in one season is ridiculous. Talk was that the trade netted us the equivalent of 500k factoring in next season... i bet we got like 100k allocation and he was scheduled at 400k next season.

19. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    You're right, he should call up Brian Bliss and GBS. They are his only connections. Let's see how far that gets him.

McCullers has no player personnel experience. NONE!!! That's right, NONE! Everything went through Bliss. McCullers is pretty useless on both sides of the soccer business.

P.S. I heard McCullers' nickname is "The Connection" because of all his player personnel resources.

20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless his contract was bought down with allocation $$

21. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    It would be nice if this preseason game wasn't being played in Silent Hill.

zman31 repped this.
  22. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My AM radio keeps crackling, now I know why.

23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Well nobody knows and the league is mysterious about how much of a player's compensation counts toward the cap. The union will release player salaries and guaranteed compensation a couple of times later this year. Williams, Oduro, and Arrieta have new contracts. It's been reported that Arrieta took a big cut from last year's 216K base pay. Oduro got a good raise and Williams probably got a modest one. Parkhurst, Francis, and Clark are new to MLS. Jimenez made 46.5 last year in LA and Paladini made 86.6 with Chicago. Players not on option years typically get 3-5% raises from year to year. Parkhurst has been said to make 300K, Francis at 120K, and Clark's salary is unknown (Gruenebaum made 93K for comparison).

We lost or dumped the following players with their 2013 base and guaranteed compensation;
    Drew Beckie - 35125-35125 (not on the cap)
    Glauber Berti - 215,000 - 263,333
    Eddie Gaven - 190,000 - 195,000
    Andy Gruenebaum - 92,220-93,887
    Aaron Horton - 65,000-85,500 (not on cap)
    Kyle Hyland - 35125-35125 (not on cap)
    Chad Marshall - 330,000-361,250
    Danny O'Rourke - 170,000-175,000
    Matias Sanchez - 190,000-230,000
    Shawn Sloan 35125-35,125 (not on cap)
    Konrad Warzycha - 46,500-46,500 (probably not on cap)

So we lost a minimum of 1,187,220 in salary from the cap. Perhaps as much as 1,318,470.

I'd ballpark Oduro+Arrieta in 2014 as probably less than they made in 2013 but with Dom getting much more of the total. Williams probably got a raise to Wahl money, ie 85K. Let's say Parkhurst makes 300K, Francis gets 120K, Clark makes 100K, Paladini makes 90K and Jimenez at 50K. That would leave something on the order of 504K at a minimum to 635K. That doesn't account for raises built into current contracts and of course can be increased by releasing players not living up to their contracts (Tchani, Meram, Finlay, or whoever you hate). Additionally the team received a large (250K) allocation for not making the playoffs. That money can be used to pay transfer fees for non-DP players we bring in or buy down cap hits. It also expire at the beginning of the 2015 season. We gained allocation money in the Marshall deal and paid some in the Parkhurst deal. So, all that said, the team should have 700-800k in remaining 2014 cap space to go shopping with.

The union's 2013 salary numbers are here:

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/September 15, 2013 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

24. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Ok 700k seems about right from what I was adding it up before. I think Arrieta and Oduro probably combine for a similar amount, they probably basically swapped salaries.

We've also got about five unsigned players don't we? I'm sure some of those are off the cap, but if even 1-2 sign at minimum it takes 100k away from us.

500-700k is not a lot to play with. Possible to sign both Marshall and a DP, perhaps. But Marshall goes down this year and retires and we get nothing for him. If he plays well nobody is going to want him at his 500k price tag at that age next year.

It's a tough decision on losing someone like that but I think in the end it's the right choice. Now we have a little more room than before. Our back line certainly isn't our biggest worry at the moment.

25. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He negotiated all of the deals. I cant imagine that he never managed any kind of connection from that.