2013-2014 CCL Qualifiers/News [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Nico Limmat, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Balam

Balam Red Card

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There really was no point in Copa MX except to bring some attention and revenue to Ascenco MX and for Liga MX to play their reserves but starting this upcoming edition the winners of Copa MX Apretura and Clausura will play for a berth in Copa Libertadores 2015.

2. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming the Clausura winner doesn't also qualify for the following CCL, I guess (that still has yet to be cleared up).

3. Tejano

Tejano Member+

Sep 25, 2012
    Puro ATL
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    I wish they would get a berth for CCL. An Ascenso MX team would plays balls out. I bet they would win a championship. Copa MX has some high quality football.

4. Balam

Balam Red Card

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yup. CCL berth would be better for Ascenco MX. That's about their level.

5. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you believe that the 4 Mexican teams are the overall 1,2,3,and 4 seeds. So they should have easy brackets, not one with an American team in it.

6. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010

I have never said I believed Mexican squads need to be protected. I am not sure how you could even come to that conclusion but just to clarify any misunderstanding that is very far from what I believe. There is nothing to protect Mexican squads from they are clearly the strongest squads in this competition.

My point was more about which clubs should be seeded and protected from them in the group phase

7. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they should get the weakest competition in the initial brackets. That's what seeding is.

8. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010

USA 4 would still be in the weakest competition category so there is no problem putting them in their group. At this point Canada's representative tends to be a tougher draw for a seeded team

9. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada? Now your bias is overcoming your judgment.

10. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010

Not bias just saying Canada based on coefficients. Of course again it comes down to what criteria is being used to seed teams which should be something beyond just what country they represent.

If the USA had been sending 4 teams to the KO rounds all these years then I would feel they should all be seeded it has nothing to do with an anti USA bias

11. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

Based on my coefficient, Canada has been slightly better through the first five editions, but that number is going to change dramatically in the very near future.

12. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Why do you guys keep putting protection in quotation marks? You can take them right out because thats exactly whats going on. Canadian, Central American, Caribbean aren`t getting the same protection(no quotation marks) against mexican teams.