(2013.10.15) International Friendly: Belarus x Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by teioh, Oct 14, 2013.

1. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Honda's postgame quotes shed some light on the current internal outlook:
    http://zasshi.news.yahoo.co.jp/article?a=20131016-00000004-footballc-socc

Samurai Warrior, Pjdawa and AKITOD repped this.
  2. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That's very interesting from Honda. Seems like he's still very much behind the coach, and something is attempting to be changed.

I'm not sure what exactly the new idea is but I didn't expect those quotes talking about previous style versus a new style.

3. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Give that man a medal

4. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20131016-00000011-ism-socc

Here's different outlook. Yamaguchi criticising everything from the midfield, goes to saying that some players maybe don't want to see Kakitani's movements, poor counters, not much help from the coach etc. Pretty brave for newcomer.

5. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I share some of the things he said, even if Kakitani himself isn't exactly doing perfect movements(how many offsides was he called off in these matches?) I had the feeling that sometimes he could have been served but wasn't. One example the first shoot by Okazaki at the beginning of the match...
    Overall it's a bit too hard for me to read in some parts =(

btw I'm not sure if you're talking about the same quote in the 2nd question but I would translate it more like they "weren't able to capitalize Kakitani's characteristics"

I also kind of share this part :
    「自分があれをできないと、ここに入っている意味はないと思う。あれをどれだけできるかというのをもう少しつめて、周りの守備の負担を軽くすることがもう少しできればいいと思うけど、どうしても1人でいき切って取るというのは難しい。今日は周りが連動していなかった、すごくばれていた。例えば、(ハーフナー・)マイク君が入って、ロングボールを入れるかどうかっていうところでも、いまいち定かではなかった。最後の方になって、みんな「入れろ、入れろ」という感じだったので、それだったら最初に入ってきたときから放り込んだらいいんちゃうかというのは何人かと話をした」

I'm not sure what he means with 「入れろ、入れろ」 though

6. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what she said!
    Um, it means to launch long balls/crosses at Mike.

7. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He means to feed Havenaar. And yeah, why did the players not do that before the final minutes remains a mystery. That's why I thought Kiyotake should have been subbed in together with Havenaar, because he is used to cross for the big guys at his club.

8. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    huh as I suspected from the context then, thanks. Which is why I felt the same...

9. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    He also says that they shouldn't have kept going through the middle when even Spain struggled to breakthrough Belarus' defensive block.

At the same time, Zac didn't give him many instructions, according to Yamaguchi.

With a strategic brain like Endo who manages to change the team's system within the game (remember vs Denmark 2010), I don't really understand that they are not capable of taking these on the pitch-decisions now, in a friendly in front of local school classes.

10. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I wouldn't mind at all. Other members? That's a different question. If you think I hate Japan, just look at my previous posts in Bigsoccer Japan. Should be self-explanatory.

Bashing? More like a criticism, and imo a valid one too. If you think that's bashing, then read my comments in some of the BSK threads.

And I was one of the very few sensible members who actually thanked him and defended him.

I would. Because I try to be as neutral as possible, I've had spats with some BSK members regularly.

12. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Good, then I offer my apologies. I can only suggest criticism to be more match related than "when was the last time the defenders weren't amateurs"... otherwise it could be seen as a provocation by some and yes, we all have to live here.

13. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Sure. I only managed to watch about last 30 mins of the game but I've noticed that Uchida was helpless against Belarus' counterattacks down his wing, and it's not anything new that Uchida has problems when it comes to defense, though it seemed to improve this season for Schalke. And that horrific backpass? I can't remember who it was from, but that could easily have led to another goal for Belarus. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that the defense is the biggest liability for Japan right now.

14. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Having watched both the games against Serbia and Belarus, I'd say that in these away games specifically the attack was a bigger problem than the defense, considering we were also playing away. In the first half Uchida was really good - in attack - though. The attack usually works decently, which means that playing away is an hurdle currently.
    The backpass maybe it was Endo's when Morishige got a yellow

Defense problem have been evident at the Confederations Cup & against Uruguay (and in Brazil's friendly). After that some improvements have been seen in the Ghana match, but it was at home, and Yoshida not playing for the club hurts this.
    Btw some pages ago naopon posted Konno's comment and he talked about this, how it was difficult to have the perfect line instinct, etc.

15. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  16. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    too bad, because the article also explains what he and the team tried. From his words himself.

17. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    well, yea.. im reading it now..
    not sure i actually saw what he implied..

my japanese isn't good but i don't remember Endo pushing up & change position with Kagawa/Honda (okay, at least in 1st half that i saw)

18. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    dunno, you can rewatch it if you're curious if the link I posted some pages ago still works... there's some more in the other pages too

19. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I have read your previous posts on BS Japan and they are self-explanatory. While I don't get the impression that you actually hate Japan, you are pretty obsessive about posting negative views. That's alright though as long as...

... you'd base your opinion on actually seeing the whole matches. You said it yourself, you didn't watch the Serbia-match and watched the last 30 minutes of the Belarus game. For me, picking out a part of one game and basing a general opinion on second hand info is "bashing". Having read your stadium report about Korea vs Japan, I know you can do better.

Read your post again and if you think this is valid criticism, then you surely can't be helped.

20. takeuchi

takeuchi Member+

Jan 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ahh, thanks. found the justintv link :thumbsup:

21. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    I can accept that. But that's common in all my posts, not just restricted to Bigsoccer Japan. What I was trying to say is that I am not deliberately being harsh just here. If anything I have a positive view on Japan since one side of my family comes from Japan though they're all Korean.

What I had said may be a bit of an exaggeration, Japan are not exactly performing up to their standard, are they? I wouldn't criticise your national team if they didn't have the talent. I expect better display from arguably the best team in Asia right now (didn't expect to hear that did you? ;)).

22. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Japan won't be a favourite in any game played against outside of Asia. That's the truth. A team like England just earned a WC spot and you know how many away games they had won in qualifiers? One. Against Moldova.

seolseol repped this.
  23. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I know San Marino is always laughing stock but... :cry: :D

24. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It doesn't really matter to me what else you post on other threads as I am just reacting to what I read here. Although I am the last one to point to nationalities, I think it's common to talk differently about other countries (with people from there) than about my own, so that's why I doubted your intentions.

Well yeah... JNT's certainly not in its best shape and we all expect better. Personally I have expressed my dissapointment a few pages earlier. Still I think it's generally a better situation than pre-2010, because we still have time, most of the players are regulars at their club, and we (hopefully) won't have these panicky change of the whole system like under Okada.

25. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Sorry, but that's harsh reality - I don't count them as a serious team ;)