(2013.03.26) FIFA World Cup Qualifier: Jordan vs. Japan

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Whispered11, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    By the way, we are actually already qualified. The goal difference between us and Jordan is abysmal, and only one team from Iraq or Australia can surpass us. Oman can't do more than 12 points. So that's it. I still hope we'll play full force against Australia. Then we'll probably play with a different team against Iraq.

2. -Kodemari

-Kodemari Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Trento, Italy
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Japan is at least qualified for the playoff match.
    - Oman is eight points behind and only has two games left, so they will never be able to reach Japan.
    - Jordan still has two games and is six points behind. They need to win twice and have Japan lose twice to reach them, and we could still win by points difference (not that unlikely, as we have +10 and they are at -6). Two wins for Jordan means they win against Australia, and that the socceroos won't be able to reach us. The socceroos are seven points behind and have three games left- losing their Jordan game will mean they will get to 12 points maximum. This works the other way around as well: if Australia beats Jordan, Jordan won't reach Japan. Then there is Iraq. Iraq is eight points behind Japan and to reach us in the table they must win every game. To do so, they would have to defeat Australia, and again this means we would be safe from the socceroos.
    The only case in which Japan wouldn't directly qualify is:
    - Japan and Oman lose all their remaining games, both Jordan and Iraq win against Australia and Jordan beats Japan in points difference.

This said, I hope they will play the Australia game with the "not yet qualified" mindset. It's not a criticism towards today's game (which I didn't see and therefore can't judge), but what I hope to see in football in general.

Whispered11 and Pjdawa repped this.
  3. SkyPiercer

SkyPiercer Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Algeria
    He's in a very good form lately, but he has his weaknesses.

I haven't read all the thread, I am only talking about what I've seen today and earlier games.

4. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Height has nothing to do with the second goal and the guy who gets burned is Yoshida, not Konno who had a faultless game.

Otherwise, everybody has its weaknesses, sure.

5. CND_MARINO

CND_MARINO Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Ontario
    Club:
    Yokohama F Marinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    G.Sakai, was also a bystander on that goal. Yoshida had one option, a red card would've saved a goal but it's all hindsight. It's never easy playing in such an atmosphere, my Country usually is subject to urine bags being thrown at them when playing in Central America. I expect Japan to lock qualification versus Austrl.

6. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Imo there wasn't much wrong in our attack other than Maeda hitting only the woodwork or Endo missing the PK. The game today was lost in defense. And I don't mean Maya, he was only at the end of the line, conceding the CK for the first & losing out to Jordan's second scorer. Although I agree about Endo, I think Sakai losing possession when the team still was in attack mode after Kagawa got blocked in front of their penalty area, was the crucial miss.

In the longer term, I indeed see our biggest problem in DMF, not only because of Endo being slow, but because of our dependence on him. Hasebe doesn't play on this position at Wolfsburg (if at all) so if Endo has a bad day, I don't see these two building up, let alone covering up DF for our sidebacks (which should be a minimum requirement).

7. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yes Sakai didn't move behind Yoshida in case the Jordan's attacker passes him. The reason for that was, that Sakai before that moment has tried to win the ball with a tackle after a sprint and then followed with sprint behind the attacker...but stopped after seeing Yoshida taking over - naturally way tired by that point cant begrudge him

Also I think Yoshida took the guy too lightly as well

8. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    well that's why he was subbed, I suspect. I didn't see the match so I don't know if he looked tired but clearly he got Zac concerned.

9. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Not the first time eh? That was a major brainfart by him. But if we look closely, there were no movement or covering as well, and that lead us to the fact already discussed by others here.

Hasebe - Endo wont do since they cant perform their defensive game at a high tempo. It doesnt help that Japan sometimes attack like an Rugby team and there´s no recomposition whatsoever when they are getting countered.

10. Pjdawa

Pjdawa Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Winning Asian cup + qualification to WC almost a formality by 2013 spring + high profile wins vs Argentina and France don't mean nothing.
    I heard Josè Mourinho about to leaving Madrid,let's give him a call and see if he's good enough to do the job

Whispered11 repped this.
  11. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    don't bother, Pjdawa. People just like to play coach and forget about what has been done at the first mistake.

12. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    That was a huge blunder of the whole defensive block. Yoshida still could foul Yordan player and get yellow/no card... Komano wandered too high, captain wasn't where he should be in that situation. Sakai lost the ball, so did he earlier and so did Atsuto on the other side of the pitch. And they didn't look too safe throught the game (but when did they? the game against France was good also?).
    It's even easier with Zaccheroni because sooner or later it will turn out that Japan won't win WC and they could always write 'See, I was right!!!' :)

13. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Well, after getting the spinal cord of the team ready after the Argentina friendly, what did he actually do in terms of formation/selection of players in 3 years?

This isnt going anywhere. You (among others) think he´s a good coach (just like Zico), i dont. Moving on.

14. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Imagine if he fails to win the Confederations too... oh boy that would be embarassing. :giggle:

15. Samurai Warrior

Samurai Warrior Member+

Dec 2, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Missing Matsu's post match reports:cry:!!

16. Blue-San

Blue-San Member+

Jun 21, 2011
    Club:
    Kashima Antlers
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Dont remind me...

I love these debates actually as long as people voice there opinion, if possible in depth. Perhaps you dont agree but it is a good read anyway and sometimes some people see things differently and make you realize some things you didnt see before

17. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Maybe he´ll pass by later to drop a word.

18. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg

What he really had to do is just contain him. As soon as he made a step towards the ball, the other player rushed forward and that was it. There was too much space between those two.

TODOROKI_11 repped this.
  19. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm disappointed in this match for several reasons.

1) Japan didn't qualify.... yet. they had that chance, but missed it. it was their own undoing as Japan created several chance that resulted in bad finishing. However, this makes the Match against Australia all the more exciting. if they do defeat the Socceroos @ Home, the stadium with be in jubilant mood, celebrations all around. it also put the Samurai Blue under more pressure, but they needed it.

2) While Japan had to deal with the absence of 2 bonafide Superstar, Honda and Nagatomo, the Nagatomo's alternatives were more or less successful. In regards to Honda's case, his absence gave the young playmakers, Kagawa, Inui and Kiyotake a chance to shine, but they didn't do anything great to stamp their authority on the game like Honda do. They just couldn't take the playmaker role from Honda, not yet. sorry to say that but I expected much from Kagawa. They weren't very bad, but it's forgettable. until then, Honda > Kagawa.

3) I hope Japan take this loss as a painful lesson. They weren't overwhelm or dominated, but their wayward finishing hurt them. they had several chances and couldn't put the game to bed. I hope this is a blessing in disguise and that all of the Samurai Blue take it to heart and work on their finishing. They need to be like real samurai and start becoming lethal in front of goal.
    and Zac needs to starting looking at other FW options. I guess Okazaki can stay and play as FW often. if he calls Otsu, at least let him play or drop him. Needs to start looking for a replacement for Maeda, drop him once in a while, plenty of young FW in J.League to choose from with similar abilities, or call and play Hisato Sato.
    as for Havenaar, I dunno, I know his height is an advantage, but does add much to the passing game, he could be wild card, but dropping him and call in another young striker is fine with me as well.

20. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Come on, it's like against Brazil and Canada, this is ALL part of the mighty Zac's plan to deceive our opponents in CC2013 like in WC2010 and OG2012. :cool:

I really hope none in Brazil, Italy and Mexico check my post! :eek:

21. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    on an unrelated note, I saw a gif of a green frog/toad wandering the stands. Is that frog hold any significant related to the JFA? I don't think it's a mascot for the JFA, probably a fan but why the frog suit? I'm just curious....

22. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It's Ippei-kun a mascot of a local restaurant in Ehime. It's not Ehime FCs mascot but their fans have adopted him. And he happens to travel a lot to see the JNT overseas.

Whispered11, BigDnm01 and TODOROKI_11 repped this.
  23. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Hmm, he's been at games over at least 2 rounds so far this season, possibly more. F-Marinos v Shonan, a Cerezo game as well, and even a Gamba game from what I've seen mentioned around various places.

24. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    He seems to have an affinity for Saito Manabu, from his time at Ehime...

25. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Word.