2012 TV Situation

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Eastern Bear, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    OK, now that we've made some good off season signings (minus a good LB) we've only got one thing left to panic about. How many road games will not be televised this year? What's the HD situation? Who replaces Rongen as color guy? Will we have a totally new TV team since Dave Johnson missed about half the games last year covering the Wizards?

I really want all HD and every road game covered. I'll take Ray Hudson as color guy. Anything else is gravy.

2. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    half the road games will be on... 75% of those will be in HD.. the rest will be blacked out on direct kick because CSN will have the rights to them, but choose to show a redskins magazine show instead.

sources: none, but im probably right.

3. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    That is why I love living outside the home team viewing area. I pay for Direct Kick and there is no reason why I can't watch DCU play.

4. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If United is winning, the TV situation will take care of itself. Even last year CSN picked up a few games towards the end of the year, probably because United was in the playoff hunt. Of course, some road games are probably better left unseen, such as Dallas, Houston or KC in July/August, or any game in Colorado any year.

5. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they show all the road games live and only a few of the home games live - but I always hope that :) I do hope all the home games are available via tape-delay in the DC market so I can watch them when I get home, whether they're live or not.

If you want to see them live in the DC area, you should go to the game, or order DirectKick or MLSLive.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    CSN has been programming for CSN+ a lot more recently. Both channels are HD. I won't accept excuses. Every road game should be shown live. I also don't want to get home from matches and watch home games called from a studio.

The following is the current television schedule from the team website:

March Mar 18 - Sun
    7:00 PM at Los Angeles Galaxy 7:00 PM MLS Regular Season
    Galavision
    Mar 30 - Fri
    7:30 PM FC Dallas 7:30 PM MLS Regular Season
    NBC Sports Network

April Apr 22 - Sun
    6:00 PM New York Red Bulls 6:00 PM MLS Regular Season
    ESPN2

May May 12 - Sat
    4:30 PM at Houston Dynamo 4:30 PM MLS Regular Season
    NBC Sports Network

June Jun 16 - Sat
    7:00 PM at Philadelphia Union 7:00 PM MLS Regular Season
    Galavision
    Jun 24 - Sun
    7:00 PM at New York Red Bulls 7:00 PM MLS Regular Season
    NBC Sports Network

July Jul 15 - Sun
    9:00 PM at Houston Dynamo 9:00 PM MLS Regular Season
    Galavision

August Aug 19 - Sun
    5:00 PM Philadelphia Union 5:00 PM MLS Regular Season
    NBC Sports Network
    Aug 29 - Wed
    8:00 PM New York Red Bulls 8:00 PM MLS Regular Season
    Galavision

September Sep 20 - Thu
    8:00 PM at Philadelphia Union 8:00 PM MLS Regular Season
    ESPN2
    Sep 23 - Sun
    7:00 PM Chivas USA 7:00 PM MLS Regular Season
    Galavision

October Oct 27 - Sat
    4:00 PM at Chicago Fire 4:00 PM MLS Regular Season
    NBC Sports Network

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate Galavision broadcasts - they should be forced to offer SAP English audio at least. But they are a tad better than absolutely nothing.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    In the past, some national Galavision broadcasts were also broadcast on CSN in English.

Is Galavision available in HD locally?

Is there any chance Telemundo has any rights to matches?

9. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Since I've moved from the area I've finally gotten DK and I highly recommend it, even if for someone in the DC area where it would only come in handy for a handful of DC games. There's a lot of good soccer around the league worth watching, and there's always someone to root against once the playoff picture is set.

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm a fan of MatchDay Live.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Galavision is a national cable/satellite channel that is available to any subscriber in the US, depending of course on said local/home provider and individual subscription level of service.

Nationally, Univision (with Telefutura/Galavision) has the Spanish-language rights to SUM/MLS content through 2014, so Telemundo does not.

I do not know if that prevents local DC Telemundo25 from becoming a local DC United broadcast partner, if they wanted to do so. Although I doubt if any local broadcast affiliates have an interest (in any language) of devoting airtime to United matches. It would be great if that were the case, as that is starting to become the trend in other MLS markets, but it seems like DC United seems content with and prefers CSN (and/or that might be their only interested partner).

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm aware of what Galavision is and where it is on my program guide. I don't have the channel in HD though. I always get to see the HD logo so I know it exists somewhere. I was wondering if it is available in HD anywhere locally.

I asked about Telemundo hoping for a stretch because of the NBC deal.

13. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    Are games show only live or can I log on and watch them later?

14. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    CSN+ doesn't seem to be active during the summer, or more specifically when the Caps and Wiz are out of season.

Also, CSN+ is not in HD on DirecTV.

Thx,

Jay!

15. nick

nick Member+

Nov 23, 1998
    Potomac Falls, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in the area and have Direct Kick. I have had it for years. Direct Kick is a terrific deal and is a great way to not only follow DC but the league as a whole. Watching those out of market games gives you a real sense of teams in the League.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    MDL has matches live and then they can be watched whenever shortly after the match is complete.
    I'm not sure what CSN's plans are for the station, but they've had a lot of programming on it recently. A lot of college sports have been on the station. It is HD on local cable providers and FiOS.

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Who's your provider?

Contact them and ask about getting the channel in HD.

Dish Network offers the channel in HD (as does DirecTV, I believe).

18. DCUnited82Fan

DCUnited82Fan New Member

Feb 14, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Direct Kick allowed every game. I guess if it gets blacked out that's out of the picture. I really home they show every game for DCU.

19. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the DK package last year because I don't have access to CSN. I live within the blackout area of DC (harford county), though I didn't know this at the time, which caused me to miss all of DC's games except for a handful. The price is good for the number of games you get access to but if you're only getting it for the DC games, I wouldn't recommend it, if you live within 70 miles of DC.

20. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, to say you're in the blackout zone, and not offer you the channel it's blacked out because of seems painful and wrong.

21. 6 ft. Leprechaun

Dec 9, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're telling me. It was a rather frustrating number of calls with my cable company but they ultimately told me they couldn't do anything about it as they had no control over when the games were blacked out. I won't be getting the package again.

22. bordelais7

bordelais7 Member

May 13, 2003
    Centreville, VA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Curious, since I'll be moving to the area in a couple of months...are ALL of the DCU games blacked out on DK in the DC viewing area?

23. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Yes. You need to watch the games on Comcast Sportsnet to watch them. Most cable and satellite providers carry it though. My beef is that Comcast usually would broadcast in low-def where DK would have the game in HD. Very frustrating.

1 person likes this.
  24. Grasscutter

Grasscutter Member

Jan 21, 2003
    Atlantis
    Club:
    DC United
    Only games offered on the D.C. regional ComcastSportsNet are blacked out. But telecasts produced and aired by ESPN, Galavision and presumably NBCSports are not offered to DK to begin with, so they aren't blacked out.

Edit: Pretty much what Eastern Bear just said.

1 person likes this.
  25. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    :confused: Don't you have Comcast in HD?

My DK was only LD (low def). Was your's in HD?

I have Fios.