2012 Supplemental Draft

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by ThreeApples, Jan 17, 2012.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Supplemental Draft starts at 10:45 today. The Quakes have picks 25, 44, and 63, and according the official MLS Twitter, they just acqured pick #73 from Kansas City in exchange for the rights to Michael Thomas (drafted in the SuperDraft 2nd round last year but didn't sign and went to Sweden).

2. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We traded Michael Thomas' rights for pick 12.

3. GrayBeard

GrayBeard Member+

May 9, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is that?

4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is so far deep into the college ranks that I have no opinion about any of these guys. I just hope that we get a good player or two out of this. Mostly, we're looking for depth. If we get someone who can become a useful contributor in the next season or three, that would be a win.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

6. Cornballer

Cornballer Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the draft chat in the 2nd (4th) round:

7. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He stood out at their local combine...but with most of these players, not sure if MLS quality.

Sure wish we could get a CD, but with each passing moment...it's looking less and less likely. Going into the season with 3 CD is a recipe for disaster, With Leitchie gone, I wonder which player Frank will force into that spot? Khari, Gordon, RAMIRO!

EDIT: David Tiemstra is a CD! We're gonna win the league!

8. Cornballer

Cornballer Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd pick for the Quakes:
    Heh.

9. Cornballer

Cornballer Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4th and final pick:

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Welcome to the Quakes' Tyler Krumpe era, everybody!

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So ...

Cesar Diaz Pizarro (UC Riverside) Position: FW

David Tiemstra (Ohio State) Position: D

James Kiffe (UC Santa Barbara) Position: D

Tyler Krumpe (Loyola) Position: D

So a forward to push guys in practice and maybe be a long-shot backup player, and three defenders because we need another defender. Probably one of these three sticks, even if only for one season.

GO QUAKES!!!

- Mark

12. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering we had no pick in the first round, I think we did very well today. I have not seen these guys play aside from Kiffe but based on what I have read I like them.

Cezar Pizzaro 9 goals in 19 games, good not great, and he was co-offensive player of the year for his conference. Can come into camp and try to challenge Mcloughlin for 4th striker.

Tiemstra 6'2, 200 pound centerback from Ohio State. Fills a need. #46 on Mauceri's top 100 seniors at start of 2011 season:

James Kiffe - left back from UCSB. Fills a need. Good assists guy in college. 6 assists last season. Looked decent at the combine. He was not on the field when his back line coughed up 4 goals in the first half of game 2.

13. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    SJ - can you expand a bit more on Kiffe and his defensive skills? Sounds like he was good going forward, but how does he defend? Is he mobile, does he bring any speed?

Even though these guys are late draft picks and absolute longshots to make the team, there have been successes by guys taken late in the draft. Wondo was #89 in 2005, so stranger things have happened.

14. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 defenders selected- two of which are CB's. seems like we're looking for one of those, though i guess the outside back could impress and make it but that would mean #4 on the depth chart at CB has to come from the current roster like you or somebody joked; ramiro, ring, etc.

15. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kiffe does not have elite speed but he still gets up and down the sideline very well. Pretty good technical skills. Haven't seen enough of him to comment on his tackling/marking other than to say that he did not stand out for making any mistakes at the combine like Polak, Estridge, and other defenders did. I don't know if he has enough to make the roster but I think he was a great pick at that late of round. Here are some video highlights of him:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/video/2012/01/12/james-kiffe-ucsb-d

16. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Why wouldn't both one of the CBs and the LB drafted today make the roster? The Quakes have plenty of open slots to use. In addition to the two guys drafted today, they also have Kyle Davies in camp on trial, and he is a central defender. So they have several options at a #4 central defender that don't involve using someone already on the roster.

17. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure why the cheap shot on the sideline at the combine made the highlight reel, but he kind of reminds me of Wade Barrett on the offensive highlights.

18. Gaucho95

Gaucho95 Member

Dec 13, 2004
    Oakland, Ca
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Kiffe is a left-footed converted defender. Until he filled in for our left back (Tetteh) when he got injured, Kiffe had played as an attacking player at SB City College and in high school.

The last two years, he has played as an attacking, box-to-box wingback, particularly this past year. Kiffe woulod bring some versatility on the left side.

He has a great left-footed shot, good enough to shoot lay-offs on free kicks. He scored at least one this year on a shot from outside the box (at UC Davis from Luis Silva).

His speed (both acceleration and pace) were a great advantage for him in college.

He injured his ankle as UCSB headed into the playoffs, and that partly explains UCSB not getting past the Sweet 16.

If Garza and/or Kiffe start getting some PT, I might just feel compelled to drive down the 880 and catch some matches :)

Go Quakes!

Go Gauchos!

19. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your not in LA anymore... Repeat this now: "Drive down 880" not "Drive down the 880".

20. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the Kiffe pick late was a great value. Given we sorely need depth at left back i think he'll stick. We'll at least keep him in the reserves.

and i LOVE that we brought Kyle Davies in to compete, i really like the guy as a depth option.

21. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Tiemstra, i just remembered that name! lol, i like him too. Hes one of those guys that has rediculous jumping ability like Opara. Hes got good size too i really like that pick.

Tiemstra and Kiffe have the best chance to make the roster for me.

22. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If any of the supplemental draft guys make the roster it will be a huge win.

I wish them all well, but most of our dead weight is already gone.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

23. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we enough open spots, dont see why we cant keep em all around.

I really think Tiemstra and Kiffe have the best chance of making it. But if we can get em all on the roster, then why not i say.

and i like Kyle Davies as a trial guy who can make it.

24. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup, and Kyle Davies was a U-20's captain, he'd be a fine #4 option as well. really happy we brought him in for a look that was a good decision.

Kiffe may need two-three years before he's MLS ready but thats what the reserves are for. Gives him valuable gametime. But since hes a left back he will be given that time to develop. I do think Tiemstra is the most ready of the bunch.