2012 Season Ticket Renewal thread

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Buzz Killington, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No it's next year, they gave away some for the dc or Dallas game, bit it's supposed to be next year for the majority.

2. ComeOnYouWIZ!

ComeOnYouWIZ! New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    No, it's there to be used next year. They offered the Suite for FCD at pretty late notice which makes me believe that they might have had more renewals than expected.

Atleast that's what I want to believe.

3. eminer

eminer Member

May 17, 2006
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know what the $40 per seat tax actually pays for?
    My ticket rep has been unable to find out (or unwilling to explain it.)

"It is Village West and Sporting Tax" - I pay sales tax, property tax, income tax etc... In every case I can look up to see where or what the tax supports... except this "tax"

4. Merlin172

Merlin172 Member

Mar 16, 2000
    Kansas City, Kansas
    The STAR Bonds used to build the stadium, I believe.

5. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the same as the sales tax, however sales taxes generated in the Legends district are all earmarked for repaying the bonds that were used to build Legends.

EDIT: I should add I'm referring to the state sales tax; the city/county sales tax is most likely charged as normal, assuming there is a sales tax in the UG. I would be surprised if there weren't. I have been advised before that it isn't a surtax, because I originally thought it was, but I'll see what I can dig up to confirm that because I'm curious about that too. It does seem to me that a surtax would kind of defeat the purpose of what the tax district is supposed to do, because it would make prices there artificially higher than anywhere else. Earmarking, otoh, would help explain the hostility to the stadium in certain quarters, because it used up unused budget funds that could have been reappropriated to the state coffers, yet if the taxes are earmarked for bond amortization it wouldn't generate any state revenue for many years.

6. eminer

eminer Member

May 17, 2006
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure? If I buy something at the Legends, I see a sales tax on my receipt and if it was based sales then, the tax would vary depending on the price of the ticket.

SKC is not calling it "sales" tax....

7. eminer

eminer Member

May 17, 2006
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be... but the STAR bonds built the whole complex and people that shop there pay taxes on purchases they make in Village West. They don't play a yearly tax.

If it was part of the STAR bonds then wouldn't it be tied to the ticket price?

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd heard it was a type of event tax.

9. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.examiner.com/argentine-in-kansas-city/pros-and-cons-of-the-kansas-city-kansas-sales-tax

Make of this article what you will. It sounds pretty complicated to me, but assuming this is all true, and I can't vouch for the source, there is some mildly surprising stuff.

So now I'm a little lost. Why is the UG volunteering to help pay off the state's STAR bonds? Strange behavior if you ask me, and it just points to the fact that the financing is pretty complicated. Clearly the UG has some kind of obligation there that I don't fully grasp. What I think I understand is that the state is in dire financial straights, they were hoping to start collect the sales tax revenue in 2014, but then the stadium happened, the sales taxes were plowed back into the project, and since it was already budgeted in the original plan there was nothing Topeka could do to stop it.

10. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make an excellent point, you would think it would be a percentage of the sale. You are saying that no matter which ticket package you select, the charge is a fixed amount? That is interesting indeed. That throws me for a bit of a loop. Apparently I don't fully grasp the nuances of the financing of LSP, but then I already knew that anyway.

Buzz may be onto something with the event tax, I know some municipalities will soak tourists with taxes like that, hotel taxes, etc.

11. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is what threw me off - that it was a fixed amount versus a percentage. I was under the impression that this tax was applied to all of Legend's including retail and restaurants. I just figured Sporting made it a fixed amount to max it easier from an administrative standpoint. I was also under the impression that this was not related to the stadium but something related to Village West as a hole.

12. glenthas

glenthas Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I understand it, all events that take place in the Legends are being assessed a fixed fee per ticket. So, it's not the stadium per se, but it won't impact retail sales tax.

13. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Shreveport, LA (temporarily displaced from KC)
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, how long is the wait list for Field Club? (honestly will probably end up in either 102 if I can find a position I like or in the cauldron, but pimp seats with all the amenities certainly has some appeal - especially since I live ~90 miles away and won't likely make every game - those seats would be easy to give to family and clients and know they wouldn't be wasted.)

14. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this gave me a chuckle.

15. musean

musean Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Kansas City
    They are sold on a per season basis and the back row starts at 2500 per seat i believe.

16. Lebowski

Lebowski BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I started 2010 in 102 and lasted one game before moving to the Members Stand. If you think you might want to stand at times other than when a goal is scored, then 102 may not be for you.

As for extra tickets to dispose of, I do not think that one would have any problems with Members Stand tickets. I think 102 would be different. There were empty seats there for games.

If you do get Field Club Season Tickets and everyone says "no", just ping me. :D

17. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a big expense, to be sure, but when you look at the per-game cost vs. say, Chiefs tickets you're not even going to get into the club level at Arrowhead for that price per game, much less get the free parking that LSP has and all the other treats the Field Club gets you.
    Now, when you compare it to the cost of other LSP options it's a huge difference. But.. I dunno... I always look at those Crown Seats at the K and think "yeah, if I win the lottery someday" but for LSP you can have the equivalent for a price that, while high, is not completely unattainable.

18. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I may end up in the members stand just up at the back (or in the desert of the East annex if I'm desperate for a different angle.) I've only been in there a couple of times this year - is it even possible to go from the members stand to the rest of the stadium? Do they allow you to use that back door into the big stairs behind the East stand, or what?

19. Lebowski

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    The East annex gets full, but a great price for the view. The back of the MS is good too, since one gets a decent view of the entire field. Sitting lower makes seeing the action near the South goal difficult to see.

Yes, one has access to the rest of the stadium via the stairs you described, but do not lose your ticket stub, since it is needed it for re-entry.

20. uncre8tv

uncre8tv Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I didn't mean desert as in population, but enthusiasm... maybe I've not seen it when it's rocking, but usually I look over there and it's mostly "how did I end up here"/"why did I buy the cheapest ticket" families. This might be an un-fair characterization, just based on a few glances that direction.

21. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The back of the MS is so far superior to anything offered in the East Annex -- it was ghastly sitting over there. Those are avoid at all costs seats for me now.

22. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a sport where you really need to see almost the entire field at all times because things happening away from the ball can be just as important if not more important than what is happening with the ball. This is one of the reason why I do not sit in the Cauldron. I just need some elevation to be able to see the game the way I want to view it. I need to be about 15 rows back so I can see everything in perfect view.

I have say in the East annex while eating a couple of times and it is an odd place as far as the fan vibe goes and I am not a fan of the view at all. It is probably one of the last places in the stadium I would choose to sit.

23. Abracadabra

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The East annex is God's waiting room.

At the back of the Cauldron you get a pretty good view of the near half, but I've trained myself to switch to the stadium screen when the ball crosses the midfield stripe. That system actually works out pretty well for me.

24. Lebowski

Jan 23, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I tried the the East Annex a couple of times and it isn't my thing either. I did not like the brunt of the sun. Although seats there are not reserved like East Stand sections 126-128, I think that someone that wants a quieter atmosphere and accepts the view gets a great value sitting there @ $260 for at ST, versus $500 for East Stand in comparable rows. Plus, one gets access to the MC for cheaper concessions and some A/C.

25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're spot on. It will remain that way until it's it fills up with the type that usually sits in the north end.