2012 schedule

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by NedZ, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick glance.

10 Saturday games

4 Sunday

3 Wednesday

Seattle, Portland and Vancouver twice away.

LA, RSL and Colorado twice at home.

And it shows our two Colorado home games are on successive weekends, Aug 25 and Sept. 2nd.

2. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA at Stanford in June.

at Buck Shaw in October.

3. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    June 30. Fireworks?

So where do we super-impose the 13-game winless streak? :)

4. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    mls cup in Dec!

STUPID

5. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  6. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only one game at Standford ! :(

7. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Glad to see the league is taking a break (for the most part) during the 3 FIFA breaks for World Cup Qualifying (June, Sept, and Oct).

That means the Quakes don't have to worry about playing without Bernardez, Chavez, or Wondo (a stretch, but who knows what could happen) on those dates. The guys could still miss time for other friendlies, but at least not for those 3 weeks.

Other thoughts on the schedule -

- Quakes get what looks like an easier home opener than the past few years, against New England
    - Team travels to the Pacific northwest 6 times, and to LA only twice....
    - No trips to Houston, DC, Columbus, Chicago or New England
    - With the early June break, and the fact that the Quakes have a "bye" the weekend of June 16/17, they have a very long break from May 27 to June 20- The good news is when they play June 20 @Colorado, the Rapids are coming off a 3 day rest while the Quakes are coming off 23 days of rest!
    - Early part of the schedule is heavy with long road trips (to Toronto, NY and Philly all during a 6 game stretch from late March to late April)
    - But that means the good news is that the second half of the schedule is very "travel light", after the June 23 match at Salt Lake, the team only has to leave the West Coast 3 times the rest of the year (Colorado, Dallas, Montreal). Yes, you read that right - over an 18 game stretch, the team only leaves the West Coast 3 times, and one of those is a relatively short trip to Colorado

1 person likes this.
  8. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looking forward to at least one away game in the Northwest. went to Seattle two years ago and it was awesome. with friends and now family in vancouver will likely make the may or july date- maybe both!

9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I are expecting a baby on opening weekend, so I won't be making it to the home opener this year! ;)

Nice to see another game at Stanford - and the date makes me expect it to be another "fireworks extravaganza."

I hope someone at the FO coordinates with the Stanford parking coordinators to make things better this year. It was a disaster last year, as PD and parking workers created a huge mess of backed-up cars, bottle-necked into two entrances and delaying many people from getting to the game before kickoff. They need to handle things better this year, especially if we get a similar 40k+ attendance.

10. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's a good review. with better depth this year, hopefully we won't struggle as much with injuries, fatigue, etc late on. Once again, I'm full of optimism but it could be the booze since i'm a happy drunk.

11. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    should we also expect a friendly in june during that break?

Quakes v. (fill in your favorite team here, but be realistic) :)

12. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Typo, should be Chivas on 09/02, they probably already fixed it.

But that does mean home-and-away vs Chivas 09/02 and 09/15.

13. jetdog9

jetdog9 Member+

Nov 14, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday and Sunday home games are not good for me. Had I known in advance I would have reconsidered season tickets. Now I will miss multiple games.

Data may be off (correct me if wrong), but trend is something like this for reg season:

2012 3 Wed, 4 Sun
    2011 1 Wed, 0 Sun
    2010 4 Wed, 0 Sun
    2009 1 Wed, 1 Sun
    2008 0 Wed, 2 Sun

14. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first two weekends of June are FIFA dates, and then the 3rd weekend the Quakes are the odd idle team in the 19-team league. Euro 2012 begins June 8. I wouldn't expect there will be clubs actively touring for friendlies at that time.

15. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ok, so it looks like we play:

Home twice: Chivas USA, LA, RSL, Dallas
    Away twice: Vancouver, Colorado, Portland, Seattle

Not bad.

16. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    The problem is that's probably too early to get any of the European teams (they tend to come over during July for any preseason matches). I think two years ago when the league took a similar break for the World Cup, the Quakes scheduled a "friendly" against Chivas or someone like that. Wasn't that the game in Sacramento?

17. leocal

leocal Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Fog City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    kinda odd, but this year with my schedule, more sunday and wednesday games work for me.

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey one is better than none. I like this schedule. I can even combine my already planned trip to Emerald City ComicCon with the Seattle v Quakes away. Couldn't have worked out better.

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank God that it's no more than that! [​IMG]

Watching last year's game on Stanford's too short, too narrow playing field was absolutely painful.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

20. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me it works the other way around, now I be able to attent more games.

21. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping that the first two games in April would've been on the road since I'll likely have to be out of town those two weekends. Nonetheless, at least I'll only have to miss one home game rather than two (as far as I know right now).

Besides the aforementioned Stanford game that's scheduled to be broadcast on ESPN2, ESPN2 HD and ESPN Deportes, I was pleasantly surprised that one of the Quakes' three scheduled appearances on NBC Sports Network and NBC Sports Network HD will be at Buck Shaw Stadium, as I thought that perhaps they wouldn't have wanted to broadcast a game from our current minor-league quality facility. However, depending on how the current appeal goes, we may or may not have to worry about that come the 2013 MLS season.

Hopefully either CSN Bay Area SD/HD or CSN California SD/HD chooses to broadcast the two games that are also currently scheduled on Galavisión, as DirecTV still doesn't carry Galavisión in 16:9 HD. :(

Sadly, the Montreal Impact won't be visiting here this regular season. :( Hopefully they will next season.

-G

22. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Always on-message, heh!

23. proud smurf

proud smurf Member

Jul 30, 2005
    Uranus
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point, but that compensate with the amount of fans in the stands, I for one, will prefered 16 games at Stanford and one game at Buck Shaw then the way it is right now.
    :cool:

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the playing field sizes, I prefer that it stays the way it is now. ;)

Assuming that the current appeal doesn't succeed or at least doesn't cause a massive delay to The Epicenter's ground breaking, though, we hopefully won't have to worry about that next season.

-G