2012 San Jose Earthquakes Reserve League thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Feb 20, 2012.

1. onemormor

onemormor Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. They aren't being paid.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  4. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quakes up 2-1. The Turk with a brace. One from midfield.

5. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The TURK with the hattie!

6. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Just saw part of the match, but Sercan was on fire! Looked like a men amongst boys at times (which he kind of is I guess from an age perspective). He scored his first goal from about 10 yards from the center line in the Quakes half! Caught the keeper off his line and hit a monster shot. Didn't see his 2nd goal but his 3rd was a breakaway after a defender completely blew the 1v1. But it wasn't just his goals. He looked dangerous and quick and made good runs. The only other guy that stood out for me a bit was Husted, who made a few central attacks with the ball in traffic. Seemed like the Quakes side was a mix of academy players and a few roster guys. Portland controlled the run of play, but I think Sercan was the difference in this one. Oh, and Bingham >> Jackie Gleason or whatever his name is (Portland backup keeper).

[​IMG]

7. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Neuwerld repped this.
  8. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The entire Portland match is available on YouTube:

Neuwerld repped this.
  9. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The goal from past midfield.. WOW.

Looks like Bingham had a good game. Nice to know we have him on our roster!

10. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    I had the game on the computer while watching the NY/KC match on tv, so I missed some of the Quakes/Portland action. What I saw in the first half was that the Quakes were getting mostly outplayed, but Sercan made a nice play on the shot from midfield. As JazzyJ describes, if you haven't seen it, it was actually from several yards past midfield and it was a great shot. Both of Sercan's other goals were similar to each other - balls behind the defense that he ran onto and finished nicely in 1v1 with the keeper. It's good that he's getting some confidence and composure on the ball and scoring, but I just can't see him getting any time in an MLS match with the way Wondo, Gordon and Lenhart are playing. But in case there are injuries or other suspensions, it will be good to have Guvenisik as a viable option off the bench.

I think the best that can happen for Sercan is that he does well enough in Reserve play to earn a spot on the roster next year, and maybe he'll get more of a chance next year (particularly if the Quakes get into the CCL next year).

This was a good win for the Quakes Reserves, as they were playing a very young team with a lot of academy or guest players, against a Portland team that was mostly regular MLS players. Here's the match report

Lineup for SJ:
    SJ: GK Newton (Bingham, 45), D Suggs, D Ventura^, D Zayner (Knutsen*, 75), D Hustedt, M Clark^, M Ring, M Garza, M Mendoza* (Padilla*, 45), F Cruz* (Morales*, 71), F Guvenisik

11. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    More on my point about Guvenisik getting some confidence back...saw this on twitter from him tonight:

12. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, hard to say whether he should be on the roster next year. Sometimes he looks pretty good out there, and other times not so much. He's got a bit of a burst that the other forwards, with the possible exception of Lenhart, don't have. And he seems to have a great attitude. Whether he's here or not next year, I'd just like to see him score one goal in an MLS game before the season's over.

13. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    So I'm saying this half in jest, half seriously....but Guvenisik has done well now twice up at Jeld Wen field - once in the preseason game and today in the Reserve match. Maybe Frank should start him when the Quakes play the final game of the year up in Portland! Hopefully that match won't mean anything to the Quakes (other than maybe Wondo clinching the Golden Boot), and Sercan can score a goal :)

soccerbone repped this.
  14. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All three goals were pretty sweet. What a delightful Turk!

15. elvinjones

elvinjones Member

Jul 4, 2011
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <ponders intently for 30 seconds, slowly looks up>....Turkish....Delight!?

Seriously though I think he's a very good player. I am the only one surely with this opinion but I'd have rather seen him out I believe two games ago in the waning minutes for Wondo, who seemed so sluggish to me. The guy will bring a great amount of energy especially if it's for 10 or 15 minutes. But I understand if that may not be the best method for Wondo.

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the Sercan 65-yard goal he was overheard saying, "to the moon!"

DotMPP repped this.
  17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Sercan scored again? His sixth goal in eight reserve league matches? I wonder if he will work his way back into the 18 one of these days... I really hope he has simply been choking during his first team appearances; I'd like for him to be a real backup threat.

20. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see how he does agains San Luis FC tomorrow night.

21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Sercan!

22. alexiskool1991

alexiskool1991 Member+

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    He was in the 18 vs chivas.

23. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    Pleased for Sercan, kind of reminds me of Wondo ripping up the Reserve league

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The other forward in the reserve match, #43, looked like he had some promise. Based on the team's postgame report, it appears he is a trialist, Matt Fondy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Fondy

Are trialists eligible for action in international friendlies?

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trialists have been used, i think we used one against Swansea.

I wanna know if the ole Der Hammer thing is still going on.