2012 RSL Player thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Sep 5, 2011.

1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Wasn't sure where to put this discussion and we might merge it later, but until then I wanted to start something new.

We have had a lot of talk recently about Robbie Russell and Andy Williams, and if they will be here next year. We also have wondering about our depth, be it PJ or Arnoux or Warner.

So I figured it would be interesting to talk about it, see where ppl think we are.

I personally feel Russell might retire after 2011. When it comes to depth, Tony and Robbie have been sharing that right back spot since 2009. So it seems nature for Tony to lineup with Wingert on the other side after Russell steps out. Blake Wagner did decent. Not sure he is much more than extreme depth at this point. Just seems Robbie is hurt a lot, seems a touch slower every year, maybe its time. Its possible. Apparently he is good enough to start for RSL but not good enough for a expansion team since RSL leaves him out for every single one and everyone from Philly, Portland and Vancouver feel they have better options (I doubt that).

The rest of the defense seems solid. Olave (30) and Borchers (30) are stalwarts. Schuler and to a lesser extent McKenzie seem to be heir apparents. But will they last expansion drafts and such?

Williams I can see staying for one more year then retiring. He seems to have more in the tank, but he is slowing down a bit too and is pretty gassed when doing a full 90. Can Warner replace him? Grabs? Luis? Gonzo? We do seem to have some depth here, so one of these might/could/maybe replace him. I would love Andy to join the staff in 2013 when CJ Brown leaves to coach Chicago (haha).

Speaking of Gonzo, does Nelson's loan get extended? I don't think so. I think 2011 will be the last we see of Gonzo. Sorry. Too many injuries. Maybe I am the only one, thats my feel.

I am not sure where we are with Sabo (29) and Espindola (26). They are both seasoned but not exactly old, yet. I think Paulo has solidified the 3rd striker position. I think. But do we protect PJ in the next Expansion draft? If not do we lose him to Montreal? Its possible. Is Arnoux ready for the 3/4 spot? I liked what I saw there at the end against Philly. But we have been fooled by one time brilliance before.

I am not really going to talk about Rimando. He is young enough, and solid. He is going no where for 2012 for sure.

What do you guys think? Am I way off, spot on, completely missing something? Shoot off!

2. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Russell and Williams could help RSL as subs next year. The fact that we've had to rely on them to start might not even be what Jason would ideally do, but I'm grateful they've been there.

I could see them playing that role another year. Russell's playing hurt I'm sure. His legs are not right.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so... this is, in one way or another, a thread about the expansion draft?
    I just want to point out it wasn't me who started it...

my protected list:
    Rimando
    Olave
    Borchers
    Beltran
    Wingert
    Johnson
    Javi
    KB
    Espy
    Sabo
    PJ
    - thats assuming Gil is auto-protected given his GA status or whatever it is

- I'm torn on protecting Schuler or not. I think with the amount of time he has put in, he'll be very high on Montreal's list (and other teams) as a good CB. Who do you replace on the list, though, to protect him? Wingert? PJ? tough choices

Players I'd like to see next year:
    Reynish
    Schuler
    Grabavoy
    Gil

Players I feel need to leave at the end of the season:
    Arturo Alvarez - way too much money to be making such a little impact
    Nelson Gonzalez - came into camp out of shape in the year that decides his contract? stupid stupid STUPID move
    Robbie Russell - I wouldn't mind him being here next year, but his time as a regular starter is done. His speed isn't anywhere near what it was supposed to be and his marking cost us, you could argue, the CCL.

The rest are kinda in that indifferent stage with me. Not that I don't like other players (Andy comes to mind quickly) but this team showed multiple times this year that sticking with the same guys isn't necessarily always the best decision. Some fresh blood keeps competition high, no matter how talented you think the player you are losing is.

4. blitzzfan

blitzzfan Member

Jul 25, 2000
    St. George, UT
    Love that pic.

Espindola has to stay. He might be our all-time leading goal scorer.

Someone tell me that Johnson completes enough passes to get onto the protected list. Not sure I buy it right now.

5. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't feel too bad about it 15, I am a sucker for expanison talk as well. I agree with your list for the most part. Like you, I am really stuck on what to do with Shuler. I think I am to the point that I would protect him. I am just not sure who on your list that you take off. I guess it depends on what PJ does for the rest of the year. If he plays just so-so, he is the man. If we start to see his PJ magic again, the call gets a lot tougher.

If I keep PJ, my thought would be to leave Wingert unprotected. I would have to imagine who ever gets unprotected will probably be picked which would really suck. But who else would you rather lose?

Although, if I was an outside GM looking at this team, I would really think hard about taking Reynish.

6. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    For as much as we needed shuler this year I definitely would protect him. He knows the position very well and an expansion team would definitely benefit from his experience.
    paulo jr has a history of being hurt and hadn't really shown much to be worried that he would go to expansion.
    protect

rimando
    beckerman
    johnson
    espy
    olave
    borchers
    wingert
    morales
    shuler
    beltran
    grabavoy

7. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil will be automatically protected, outside of the 11, as long as he doesn't graduate GA. Does anyone know what graduates a player from GA? I thought it was games played, but I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

I largely agree with your list. keeping the core defenders and the spine of the midfield are essential. I would say that hopefully Garson can yet again work some crazy magic to make sure that RSL really come out on top in the expansion draft. It seems that every year they come up with some amazing way to make it out practically unscathed.

8. Hardtcore

Hardtcore Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Kearnshaw
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd protect Schuler over PJ. My thought is this; I feel better about Gil, Arnoux, or even Jean being or 3rd striker than McKenzie being our 3rd central defender. Schuler has played way too much and way too well for him not to be picked. PJ has been very meh this season and I don't see him turning it on by seasons end.

Rimando
    Beltran
    Olave
    Borchers
    Wingert
    Beckerman
    Johnson
    Morales
    Espindola
    Saborio
    Schuler

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grabs? Not sure we need to protect him...
    I know you aren't a big fan of Sabo, but watching the Philly game it was very obvious how important he is for us to get an attack started once a team applies some higher pressure.

10. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    grabs is a hustler that knows the system and I thought with sabo's large salary, a team might not take him..

11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    With only one team in the expansion draft that should make a deal like RSL had with philly more of an option one would think.

If only RSL had a player a Canadian team might find great game andmarketing potential if aquired. Maybe a player on the Canadian national team?

I bet a pretty good deal for both sides could be worked out.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He makes less than Javi and KB. To remind people, his salary is only DP this year because of the buyout. Next season he'll just be another player.

I don't think Montreal will worry too much about a player with a 200kish salary that finds the net as much as Sabo does. You'd be crazy to leave the guy out there.

I agree that Grabs is a hustler, but he is not the type of player (I think, at least) that Montreal will be looking for in the expansion draft. Saborio is. Strikers in this league are hard to come by

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to lose our Canadian, sorry

14. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As with every potential player move, it depends on the price. If Montreal gave RSL $400k in allocation money, I'd move Will in a heartbeat. With that kind of money, RSL could buy pretty much any two midfielders in MLS.

15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I wouldn't want to lose Will either but if I'm Montreal I would probably pay a premium fora player like Will considering he also plays for the Canadian National Team.

If RSL could work a deal that benefits both teams why not? Maybe another team leaves a better player exposed thinking they are too expensive or not a player Montreal would want but RSL sure as he'll would like to take. Montreal picks them and trades with RSL for Will.

It's a long way off but I would take a deal if it improves RSL.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no offense to Will, but Montreal won't be putting that kind of money on the table for him.
    I get what you are saying, but realistically nothing of the sort is going to happen.

There aren't many players in this league that play the position that Will that I would want over him. Its very unlikely that any of them will be left unprotected, thus making a deal with Montreal (they pick that player then we trade them Will) isn't going to happen.

If we work a deal with Montreal like we did Philly, it'll likely be with a bench player as it was then. Schuler comes to mind quickly as a player that would be moved like Seitz.

17. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Sabo becomes just another player next season, does that mean we may be seeing a DP type striker in our future?? I know "the team is the star" but shit would it not be nice to see a Klose type striker at RSL.

18. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt we pick up a true DP. While it could be nice with the right player, I'd almost rather have a solid core of people in the 100k range with a few good options off the bench.

19. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think Montreal would be crazy not to want a player like Will Johnson who would be instant lead by example captain material.

Some of the intagibles that Will would bring would definitely be worth the money.

The other thing is that it's not about replacing Will but finding a better player than him that could be exposed in the expansion draft.

There is a good chance some very good, but expensive players, will be available for RSL to try and work a deal for with Montreal.

If I had to choose between protecting Schuler or trading Johnson I would trade Johnson. Loosing Schuler can not happen.

20. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but I'd rather lose Schuler. To me Will is part of the core of this team and still young enough to have many more quality years. If a team is leaving someone unprotected they're likely either expensive, old, or not that good. I highly doubt you find someone exposed that is better than Will at a similar age/wage.

21. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way in hell the front office won't protect Johnson. No way in hell.

#11 is consistently one of Schuler/Paulo/Wingert here.

We need to cooperate with the El Salvadoran PR people and put a glossy dossier together on Arturo - in both French and English.

22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just mirror existing footage so it makes it look like he uses both feet?

23. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea, you're on the production team.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so a backup CB is more important to you than a starting midfielder?
    Interesting...

If Montreal is willing to put a large sum of cash on the table so we can pick up another player like Javi/Espy/Olave from south america then I am all for it.

Truth is, though, Johnson isn't the poster boy (or even close to) for the Canadian national team. I see Johnson as the Canadian version of a player like Torres. Sure, great skill, but the name isn't going to make people jump out of their seats.

There are a few Canadian national team players that could do that: the De Guzman not on TFC, Dero, and maybe one or two others. Johnson isn't a "name"

If we convince Montreal to take Alvarez it would be the most ridiculous thing ever. That would cement Garths status as an elite GM.

25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Actually, yes. I think that both Johnson and Schuler should be protected and I believe that Schuler is more important to the future of RSL if only by a very small amount.

I think that RSL needs to make a move to aquire more talent and working a trade with Montreal for players or allocation money for Johnson seems like a possiblity IF Montreal has any interest in Johnson. It's my assumption that they will.

Even though Montreal is a Canadian team there is NO WAY in HELL that they even think about taking Alvarez the Albatross.