2012 Roster changes

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by pasoccerdad, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    According to Jeff kassouf on twitter, that player is Lauren Cheney. I haven't seen anything official yet.

2. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it is Cheney, I would be perplexed, seeing as she adds to a very crowded Forwards group... Adams in December said she was coming back.. and WIth Cheney being on NT duty with Arod....

3. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blaze, what kind of cupcake are you getting Riley?

Great news about Cheney. An elite and versatile player who will bring more variety to our attack. So our presumed players (including draft picks) so far are:
    F— Cheney, ARod, Kai, Hagen, Foxhaven, Spencer
    M— Vero, Farrelly, Tina D, Bucz, Frida
    D— Robinson, Nikki K, McNeill, Estelle, Goodson, Pressley
    G— Barnie, Henninger

Did I miss anyone?

Riley did a post draft video interview, discussing his draft picks. He described Hagen as Casey Nogueira with more speed and hunger around the net. He said she should be here by late June. He also compared Goodson to Alison Falk and said both she and Pressley should make the team. Then he compared Foxhaven to Tina D with more speed.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...alks-about-the-Independences-draft-picks.html

I have not seen Hagen play tons but found this youtube video and she is a terror in the air at 5-11. She scored 26 goals last year in college and half of them appear to be with her head.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m2YoLEkxHE"]Sarah Hagen 2011 Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philafan, I'm originally a Philly person, used to watch the semi-pro Ukranians (men). (You've got to be pretty old to have watched them.)

I'm betting they're looking at Foxhoven as a possible attacking mid-fielder.

5. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    looks like abby to me, a lot of balls off of her head, misses a lot with her feet and kind of big and slowish. well, we know philly isn't signing abby after the olympics.

6. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I really wanna see Philly play this season. Things are looking really interesting with Philly and Flash.

7. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like you've got my on age. I remember the Philadelphia Atoms when I was a kid. Bob Rigby, a Philly native and the goalie on that team, does color commentary now for Union broadcasts.

8. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Yep, Meghan Lenczyk to add to the crowded forwards pool :)

9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Updated Roster

10. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right those are the officially signed players. But I was looking at the presumed players, which include those who Riley said would be re-signing like ARod, Barnie, Nikki, Tina D etc. Also, I think you can add the draft picks to the roster because Philly officially owns their rights for the next year.

11. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I agree with you but I just don't want to include players on that list when its not official yet. As we've seen this offseason, you can't really be sure of anything until its in writing even then things may change.

12. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, but the rookies are officially property of the team until they are cut.

13. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    or traded.

and riley trusts fa's more than draft picks.

that sounds like 'rileyspeak' to me. i've never heard anyone accuse hagen of anything remotely having to do with speed. casey is a lazy player, but even on her slow days she seems faster than hagen to me.

hagen is undoubtedly a goalscorer supreme. but she might still be a bust at the next level. so when riley starts talking that way, other gm's who he might want to trade with should start clutching their pocket books.

14. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Couldn't he trade vets just the same?

He's already said Hagen will be on the team, Henninger is his #2 keeper and Goodson and Pressley will probably be on the team. So I would be shocked if you did not see at least three rookies on this team. He'll have more rookies on the team for the simple fact that he drafted good players for the first time in three years. All I was saying is they are officially Independence players right now, so I'd include them on the roster.

15. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    True but unless there is confirmation that a contract was signed I'm not adding to the list. I don;t want to be removing names that were dropped thats why I'm only adding signed players.

P.S: I think Robinson and Johnson have resigned according to twitter but I'll wait for the official WPS announcement

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Edited to add Robinson, Johnson and Chalupny

17. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the keeper situation, with Barnie slated for Olympic leave (U.S. should qualify), and Val being promoted to a full time starter for the Beat?

18. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They drafted Bianca Henninger from Santa Clara— the best keeper in college soccer. Riley already said on draft day that she's #2. She's on the short side (5-6) but saw her play this year and she makes up for it with her athleticism. I think she might wind up being an upgrade over Val when everything's said and done. Many people think she'll be the ultimate successor to Solo on USWNT in a few years.

Here is more on her and the rest of the draft choices.
    http://www.phillysoccernews.com/teams/independence2.php?article_id=8019

19. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the opportunity to see Bianca play a number of times, since I'm a Portland fan. She's very, very good and has a tremendous presence on the field.

20. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see her play much until this past year. I was a little skeptical due to her height but another Portlander poster, Cliveworshipper, told me he thought she was as good as anyone not named Solo in the US. After watching her a bit, I think he might be on to something. Still love Barnie but she's a great second option.

21. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Current Roster

P.S: I know the Cheney deal is good as done but haven't been announced yet and we have not heard anything about Arod. After seeing what they did to the Domincans last night, I hope we keep Arod.

23. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheney was asked about her WPS status and would not confirm or deny. But it's not a signed contract so.. But what I thought was cool in watching USWNT last night was that Cheney assisted on a few of ARod's goals. I bet they make a nice combo for the Independence once they both sign.

Looks like we are still waiting on Barnie, ARod, Tina D and Nikki K from last year's starting core.

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    if some of these girls havent committed to contracts, i'd see what dan has to offer with his 7-8 game schedule since they'll be playing a full schedule and camps with the national team. i guess a-rod back to philly because she is a bit of an icon on that team but the others can jump around including cheney. if i was her, i'd be on magicjack's roster this year.

last season was the first season in which a championship really mattered since wny is back and defending w/out marta.

25. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Don't get too excited Cheney to Philly is a done deal. The Philly head office just lie to announce things in their own time.