2012 Roster changes

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by pasoccerdad, Oct 29, 2011.

1. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philly's Backs are fine, Estelle had several games against Top notch players and for the most part shut them down. She works well with the centerbacks and Rarely gives up any huge runs on her side.

After the 2009, I would be in agreement, but her game improved alot last year and I think she will be better next year

I do not recall her turning the ball over in the Def 3rd and giving up a goal

There were 3 games last year where she was a beast and the best player on the field

2. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right— she's fine. But if you want to win a championship and not second place again you need better than fine. Ali Riley was better than fine and the difference between the outside backs of WNY and PHI was palpable in the championship game. A top flight outside back should be able to play good defense and contribute to the offensive side. I can't remember a dangerous run she made all season long.

When you look at WPS outside backs, where would she rank? I would say Ail Riley, Candace Chapman, Alex Scott, Stephanie Cox, Brit Taylor and Marian Dalmy are all superior to either of Philly's outside backs. Only Atlanta's outside backs were inferior in my opinion. And if they have a chance to grab Camille Levin with their first pick next Friday, they should jump at it because they appear to be pretty set at F and MF.

3. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Riley talks about his draft strategy in this article. He mentions his first priority is getting another forward, but says that could come in the first or second round. Also says he wants another keeper and a MF but makes no mention of defense which I find odd. Could be a dodge on his part— some coaches don't like to come clean on draft strategy.

He also hints and signing more internationals and we know he's not bringing back Del Rio or Sanderson so he could be talking about Miyami.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...looking_to_bolster_strike_force_in_draft.html

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    never believe a coach who talks about his draft plan before the draft!

5. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I guess I'll just go ahead and start this a list of current roster players. Since I'm obviously lazy to find out whose under contract and all the past signings, can you guys update me and I will add them to the list.

6. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I've been keeping track as best I can in the FA thread in the main forum, this is the list I've got:
    Where did you get McNeill & Bucz?

=edit=
    While looking for the ref articles on Chalu, etc., I saw McNeill & Bucz as the newest article (dated tomorrow?) on phillysoccernews.com. Plz link next time ya got new news. ;-)

7. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. That's why I mentioned it. I remember when the Eagles hired Buddy Ryan in 1986, he was asked who he would draft in the first round and responded "Anyone but that medical reject Keith Byers." Guess who he wound up picking.

8. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, you can't compare any of those to Riley, she was Exceptional, like comparing anyone to Rampone.....

Chapman is about Johnsons level, but Johnson does not have the mental mistakes Chapman makes in playing defence... ALex Scott gets caught up the field too often... I think Cox had a really bad year last year (both in WPS and WNT)... I rate her as better than most listed...

9. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    I'm just keeping track of the Philly Roster here as that other thread is for FA only and I'm not sure if it keeps track of already signed players.
    Also, is the Chalupny and Boquete signing official?

P.S: I got the news about Kia and Bucz from twitter so sorry I don't have a news article :)

10. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think you would be hard pressed to find many other folks you agree with your assessment that Estelle is one of the best outside backs in WPS. She is nothing more than serviceable as a starter. But to say she is better than someone like Cox or Scott is a real reach. Those two have just accomplished so much more in their careers than her.

11. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brotherly Game, a blog on the Union that I read regularly, has committed to writing more about the Independence. The reporter comes off kind of like a cheerleader for the team but did provide one piece of information. in a post today. Philly has signed Meghan Lenczyk, a second-year forward who played with Atlanta last season is probably a depth player. As an aside, she was a college teammate of Sinead Farrelly's at Virginia. She's also tall at 5-9, which gives the team a badly needed presence in the air.

http://www.brotherlygame.com/2012/1/9/2694505/the-philadelphia-independence-offseason-so-far

Here is Philly Soccer News' take
    http://www.phillysoccernews.com/teams/independence2.php?article_id=8002

12. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    i was the one who said philly would get wrecked and they didn't. why? because the difference in the game wasn't estelle vs riley, it was A-Rod not framing again. she frames those shots and riley is 1-1 in the championship game. it's as simple as that. as far as young defenders, i'd have riley, scott or estelle, esp with their ability to recover against forward. none of them are that good at dribbling, but they don't let many get behind them. in fact i saw more forwards get behind riley last season.

13. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that it's necessarily going to carry over at the next level, but Lenczyk was a superb player for the W-League Freedom.

14. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    She was much less so last year with the Beat. Not a lot of pace and inconsistent around the goal. But as stated, she's got size and is a big target, something Philly needs for a change of pace.

15. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I posted this link in the WPS 2012 Draft thread but wanted to get a little more Philly specific here. Jeff Kassouf just came out with his draft preview and Riley had some interesting things to say as usual. Kassouf seems convinced that with its first pick at #5, the team will be looking for a forward to fill in with Kai when ARod is at the Olympics (not sure of ARod is a mortal lock to make the Oly team with only 18 players on the roster but that's for another thread).

At #5, Melissa Henderson and Leroux will most likely be gone. Hagen would be a risk because she is signed with a German team and Ochs and Lindsey Taylor would seem to be reaches there. So do you take the third or fourth best forward or possibly the top defender. I'd go with the defender (my choice would be Camille Levin if available) or possibly even the keeper in Henninger with no proven backup for Barnie on the roster.

Riley also told him he plans to re-sign 12-14 players from last year's team in addition to FA (Chalup, Lenczyk). I am assuming (not all announced yet) ARod, Kai, Farrelly, Vero, Tina D, Bucz, Robinson, McNeill, Nikki K, Estelle, Frida and Barnie are 12 but wonder who else? Maybe Adams, Gina D, Robyn Jones, Falk? It's been said that Val, Sanderson, Del Rio, Fowlkes, Barnes, Lindsey and Lohman are gone.

Kassouf also discusses Riley’s strategy of drafting local players in later rounds, saying the logic being “these players drafted late on will more than likely not make the roster, so it makes more since to give a local player a shot than fly somebody in from far away for two weeks only to cut them.”

What happened to just picking the player that has the best chance of making the team? I love having local players on the team. I was psyched when he took Farrelly and signed Barnie last year and was disappointed he didn’t take Becky Edwards in 2010. But it sort of confirms my view that he is throwing darts at a board after the first round rather than trying to uncover a player that might be able to help the team in some way.

I know many of you say he prefers to build with proven pros rather than rookies. Fair enough. And he's certainly been successful with that philosophy. But if that's all it was he would simply trade all his picks for proven commodities. But he's compiled and then subsequently wasted (Rutledge, Stoltenberg etc...) lots of picks in the past few years. That's why I previously used the word "disdain" to describe Riley's attitude toward the college draft process. To me, it's more than just preferring vets to rookies. Regardless, I hope he does well on Friday as the team could use some depth to go with the aforementioned returning core.

http://equalizersoccer.com/2012/01/11/2012-wps-draft-preview-forwards-and-more-forwards/

Check out AWK reviews of Philly's drafting in 2010 and 2011. Note that they think he did a pretty good job with the expansion, international and dispersal drafts. But the college drafts, not so much.

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=8571

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=8569

16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think, the main problem is there is not much stability in rosters in the WPS and to pick up rookie for a long term value when you don't know what will happen the following season is a tough bet. Except of course if the girl is exceptional like Press or Morgan and performs at the right level straightaway. It is easier to mould players into a competitive side with experienced one thank young kids. It is quite pragmatic for me.

17. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again, why does it have to be an either/or situation with veterans/rookies? Why can't you have your veteran core and then draft good players as well to add star power (first round) and depth (later rounds). I'm just saying if he's compiling picks, then make the best of them and don't pick duds simply because they have a local connection when there are players still on the board who might be able to help the team. You never know when you are going to find a late round gem who could step in and play a key role at some point during the season.

Ironically, Philly has just officially re-signed its only successful draft choice in two seasons, Sinead Farrelly.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/philadelphia/news/general/120111-farrelly-signing.aspx

18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Draft picks, discuss

19. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hagen and Henninger are locks to make this team. I think Henninger can be the #2 and can play when Barnie is on Oly duty. The rest of them depends on who else Riley signs. Goodson was rated the best CB in the draft by many. I can't see her not making the team either and Pressley is has talent and U23 experience. But this is the best of his three drafts. Nothing wacky like Rutledge or Stoltenberg.

Riley gave a vintage interview touching on several topics to AWK. The guy is a reporter's dream because he has no filter. Of course, that gets him in trouble from time to time— "Pia ruined her."

But the newsy part of the interview was that he said that a USWNT attacking player is close to joining the Independence. “We’ve got a really good national team player almost wrapped up.” Any other hints? “She can play in the midfield, and is good on both sides.”

Blaze and I were discussing this on the draft thread. Any of you have any idea who he might be talking about? Cheney? Heath? Rapinoe?

The most shocking thing is what he told Lori Lindsey in her exit interview at the end of last year. "I go ‘I see you more as a coach than as a player for the Philadelphia team.’ Doesn’t mean she can’t play, but in our midfield, I just don’t see her getting into our midfield." Yikes. No wonder she left.

He also solved the Aya Miyami mystery, saying she's not coming her and was probably confused with a potential tryout player from Franklin Pierce named Aya Noguchi.

Also interesting that he came out and said he wanted Hagen at #5 and took her. No pre draft swerve.

He described the draft as "a nice day out" and that FA is where he will continue to build the team. But he actually had some good advice for the kids who get picked and are saddled at the bottom of the roster with no playing time. Wait for expansion in 2013. Great read.

http://www.allwhitekit.com/?p=8597

20. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is a known fact that Rapinoe wants to come back... I would guess it is her that will be signing... (praying it is not BOXX)

The only negative is that something is coming out about the club, but that Paul should not worry about it.... sounds like financial issues like looking for a partner to share the losses but I am just speculating

21. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Not going to be Rapinoe, I think it will be Cheney. Re the Lindsey info - I take what Riley says with a grain of salt... He likes to talk...

22. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ???

where did u hear this?

23. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...y-surrounding-Womens-Professional-Soccer.html

Quotes from the interview With Paul Riley

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  25. philafan

philafan Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, based on Riley's description of the player, it is not Boxx. He is talking about an attacking player who "can" play midfield. Looking at the USWNT players still unattached, I limited the choices to Cheney, Heath and Rapinoe. One of you thinks Rapinoe and the other says no way it will be Rapinoe. SCCL, why are you so emphatic in your thinking it will not be Rapinoe?

Heath is reportedly negotiating with Sky Blue, so she's probably out. I'm hoping it's Cheney, though not sure where she would play if ARod comes back because Kai and Hagen will also be in the mix for playing time. I guess she could play AM or wing but they do have Vero, Farrelly and DiMartino (we think). Are we 100 percent positive ARod and Tina D are coming back? There was an article recently where he said all of the core from 2011 was coming back save for maybe ARod, with whom they were still haggling over $.

And SCCL, you are correct, Riley likes to talk. But that's one reason why he will have a tough time landing the USWNT position that he apparently covets. He speaks before thinking and that job requires some level of diplomacy and tact. According to AWK, he was still yammering on at the draft about how Pia misuses ARod. It's fine for him to think it but just don't harp on it with the media.

And what he said about Lindsey, while he might be right, doesn't exactly endear him to other players. I think he made the right call in playing Vero over her last year, but Lori was a valued member of the team who is respected by other national team players. He would have been better served to just thank her for her service to the Independence and wish her well with WNY.