2012 NASL Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by ceezmad, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might be a troll, but that's a good point. The cosmos don't have much of a team yet, but the season just ended. Players at the NASL level at least are only now becoming available. MLS playoffs are ongoing, although can't imagine too many players from the better playoff teams there would be a consideration for the Cosmos.

hope to see some movement from them soon.

2. NorthernWall

NorthernWall Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I hope so too, I'm excited to have a villain back in the league - and it's a shame if they collapse after the energy the league has put behind them.

3. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    regardless, how long will they really be around? They either become MLS NY#2 or they become overshadowed by whichever other ownership group does get MLS 2 in New York. How long would they stay in the NASL if they don't get that MLS spot?

4. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    The used steel, or the relocation costs?

AndyMead repped this.
  5. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's NY2 in MLS or bust, no doubt about it. Honestly I can't really see it going any other way. Their timeline seems to coincide with that of the new stadium pretty nicely. And the NASL gets 2 - 3 years of exposure out of having them in the league. Good for everyone all around. And enough of the "if the Cosmos actually play" nonsense from some of the posters. Come on. I know long time lower level fans have a certain amount of cynicsm built in by now, but let's not fall below the completely stupid line on this one. Yes it will be a scramble to get things assembled for the start of the season, but it's not like it hasn't been done in less time before. By the by, has anyone heard anything more about whether or not they're going to get the football lines off their field?

6. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The lines are supposedly "stitched" into the field, so unles they paint over them, yes.

7. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I think that's old information. Hofstra recently redid the entire field for field hockey and lacrosse use (link). It'll be distracting, but much less so.

[​IMG]

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No... It isn't old informationz tbe lacrosse lines are permanent. While they are less distracting than gridiron lines, they will still be present unless the cosmos paint them green.

9. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Alright, but the original question was whether there would be football lines, and your response was that there would be. My response was that they have since removed the football lines and replaced them with lacrosse lines (which I said, and which we agree will be distracting).

Given the overlap between lacrosse field dimensions and the minimum FIFA pitch sizes, it looks like the Cosmos should be able to play within the existing side lines and end lines. In my book, that's a huge plus.

I did some checking, and the old soccer lines that used to go down on the field gave dimensions of 120x70 (which is pretty ideal). The old lacrosse lines look to have been quite a bit smaller: I would say about 110x60. So really whether these lines will be very distracting will depend on whether they went with a bigger lacrosse field than they used to use for these new lines. From the picture above, I think they may have gone somewhere between the old soccer and lacrosse dimensions I listed. That would work fine for soccer, though the team would be playing on a smaller than average field (think Jeld-Wen, which is 110x70).

That just leaves the wing lines, the goal crease, and the goal area. Of those, I think the most distracting will be the goal area, as its size is just different enough from the standard 18x44 penalty area.

EDIT: After really zooming in on the picture above, I can see that there might be a blue back line which extends beyond the white end line. It's unclear whether this line would be used for soccer, since all of the lines within lacrosse the goal area are also painted in blue. If this blue line were used as the soccer end line, I can see where it might look a little confusing, as it would have a white line just in front of it. But the end line is generally pretty tough to misidentify, considering the goalpost sits on top of it.

10. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The blue lines are for women's lacrosse.

11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I see the problem. The post you responded was before someone posted that they had replaced the turf with only lacrosse lines. :) This is being discussed in far too many threads. Perhaps continue this discussion in this thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/new-turf-field-at-hofstra.1977956/

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    FWIW

Those Beach Boys seem to have been an extremely big draw in the old NASL, 50,000 fans in RFK stadium after a Team America vs FL Strikers

[​IMG]