2012 NASL Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by ceezmad, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he has you on ignore he won't see this post. ;)

2. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Who cares!

3. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only have one member ignored and it's been so nice not even seeing the troll's idiotic comments. Who ever this is really adds nothing to the boards and I think we are all dumber for having read anything they post.

4. MLSinSTL

MLSinSTL Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 20, 2009
    Ohio - near a city
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone in Tampa have a prediction for the final attendance figure?

5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going with 4800 or so.

6. Jossed

Jossed Member+

Apr 23, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    How has the local media coverage been in Tampa? Radio? TV? Anything? Even a tiny bit of media attention could drive a few more to the game. Just checking online it seems there was just a small paragraph about the loss in Minnesota a couple of days ago and that was it.

7. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I might have to revise my guess upwards.

Rowdies ads all over the radio today, player appearances on multiple radio shows and apparently many more are planned for the rest of the week. Local news has been doing segments on the upcoming game with more planned apparently. Group sales are going extremely well and if I had to guess, the new marketing firm is already paying off.

One of the local news stations will be doing the weather from Al Lang tomorrow between 9 and noon (I think its tomorrow), silly stuff like that but that is alot of exposure.

Rumor is that ticket distribution already surpasses the semifinal with several days to go plus walk up (weather forecast for Saturday is great, but keep an eye on the storm in the tropics.)

Might crack 5k! :D

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Media buys got to be very expensive right now, with the election going on and the parties/Cpacs paying top dollar for air time, specially in swing states like Florida.

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. RutgerATL

RutgerATL Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't have to be the case. ATL has given season ticket holders the tickets in the past. Last season they gave us tickets to the extra international friendly match.

11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    6208 sellout in Tampa Bay tonight. Kudos to them.

Antique and eclipse02 repped this.
  12. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have we finally solved the mystery of Al Lang's capacity?

13. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I believe it was going to be a 'sellout' no matter how many tickets they sold. Capacity is probably closer to the original 7,000 figure that was thrown around when they moved in. Honestly, with SRO it could seat even more.

It was a great crowd. Very happy to see this team sell some tickets. Hopefully it will carry forward to next year.

Antique repped this.
  14. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    [​IMG]

15. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Thats beautiful, a great crowd, a great game, a great ending to the final, congrats to the 2012 Soccer Bowl Champion Tampa Bay Rowdies!!!

16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we have.

The vantage point looking into the crowd showed empty seats, especially in the front rows (red seats), which weren't even half full. Essentially, the whole 5400-seat capacity thing was full of crap. It should have been qualified as "which sections they weren't selling or counting". I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't counting the seats "behind home plate".

Given the actual capacity, which is 7,227, I absolutely think the 6208 crowd is accurate.

17. The Stever

The Stever Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Congrats, Tampa/St. Pete soccer community... now, having carefully reviewed the stadium photos, can we PLEASE move this team into a better facility? Perhaps a stadium with more than half the seats within 30 yards of the pitch (ideally the touch lines)? Crew Stadium might be replaced soon...perhaps we negotiate a deal to relocate the used steel and seating?

speedcake repped this.
  18. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    That would be great. You offering to pay for it?

Macsen repped this.
  19. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was understood the whole time that when the Rowdies made that statement regarding capacity at Al Lang, they were clearly just lowering the threshold for what they could call a sellout. The building obviously holds closer to 7k when stuffed full, even after one of the berms was flattened.

20. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hopefully Saturday night inspires management to push to fill the joint up next season. A good start would be to have a true sell out on opening night.

speedcake repped this.
  21. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be great for home opener against Cosmos

speedcake repped this.
  22. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO the marketing firm they hired could finally be the major step forward the Rowdies needed to take in order to really get noticed in Tampa Bay. And now they have a championship to work with, should be very interesting to see how the team is marketed now.

23. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I wasn't able to make it to the First Friday thing tonight. Anyone make it?

The Rowdies have certainly gotten more press in the last three weeks than they have in the last three years combined. I take it that it is the marketing/PR firm's doing. The team has been all over the papers, web, and television. They are being treated like a real sports team. Before last month, they couldn't get noticed to save their life. This championship story certainly has proven to have legs in the local media. That shows hope for next season.

brentgoulet and WhiteStar Warriors repped this.
  24. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They're the champs (ugh does it suck to say that) they don't need the draw of the Cosmos for their home opener. If the new marketing firm is competent at all, they could have Edmonton and still should have a huge crowd. One of the lower drawing teams should get the Cosmos for the home opener to give them a bump, maybe the Stars and their new ownership group could get them.

25. NorthernWall

NorthernWall Member

Mar 1, 2012
    We'll see if the Cosmos even have a team to field by the home opener.