2012 NASL Attendance Thread

Discussion in 'NASL' started by ceezmad, Mar 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2011 Numbers from:

http://www.kenn.com/the_blog/?p=4353

NORTH AMERICAN SOCCER LEAGUE...G..........Total..........Avg.
    Montreal Impact....................................14.........161,102..........11,507
    Ft. Lauderdale Strikers..........................14...........52,769...........3,769
    Carolina RailHawks...............................14...........46,942...........3,353
    FC Tampa Bay.....................................14...........42,138...........3,010
    Atlanta Silverbacks...............................14...........40,117...........2,866
    Puerto Rico Islanders............................14..........30,247............2,161
    FC Edmonton.......................................14..........25,434............1,817
    NSC Minnesota Stars............................14.........23,463............1,676
    NASL TOTAL.......................................112........422,212.........3,770

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok so Montreal is gone to MLS and San Antonio is the new team.

with a week away how about we guess the final 2012 #s?

San Amtonio…………….….5,000
    Ft. Lauderdale Strikers…... 4,000
    Carolina RailHawks …….…3,500
    FC Tampa Bay...................3,500
    Atlanta Silverbacks............ 3,000
    Puerto Rico Islanders........ 3,000
    FC Edmonton.....................2,500
    NSC Minnesota Stars.........2,500
    2012 Total……………..……3,375

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Islanders are going to have to play at a smaller facility nearby while the renovations to Loubriel are ongoing. The secondary place supposedly only seats about 1,000 people and it may be late July before Loubriel is able to host matches (by which point the Islanders may only have four home matches left). 3,000 might be optimistic for them, we'll see.

4. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the other hand, I do think the trend will be upwards for most teams, and I doubt the Islanders will have any trouble at all with selling out the small stadium.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is fine, but which won't help them financially and will hurt the league numbers, obviously. With more lead time, Carolina should continue its upward trend. I don't know how Atlanta, Minnesota and Edmonton are going to have great advances, but maybe they will.

And we're all curious to see if San Antonio is the new Rochester, the new Syracuse or the new St. Louis.

6. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup.

I think it'll be a lot like Carolina's tornado game last year, only for a good fraction of the season - terrible numbers that entirely do mean exactly what they sound like for the club's bottom line, but don't mean enthusiasm is flagging.

Yeah. I don't think over 5K average is likely, but I wouldn't expect games much below it outside of utterly foul weather. And of course the mean will be helped by the occasional very big crowd; we did break 6 a few times last season. But, well, the occasional foul weather is part of the reality of the season.

I expect modest advances, but not great ones.

Yup. And whether they can actually turn a profit and make the whole thing actually work as a charitable fundraiser.

7. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    I wish the Islanders would play this season in San Juan in one of the two stadiums there. Then attendance would be brought down as bad.

8. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guesses for averages this year(what do I win if I hit one right on the button? :cool:):

San Antonio: 4,891
    Fort Lauderdale: 4,577
    Carolina: 4,489
    Tampa Bay: 4,467
    Atlanta: 3,937
    Minnesota:3,451
    Edmonton: 3,123
    Puerto Rico: 2,878

I'm being cautiously optimistic, looking for a modest uptick in general. San Antonio's first few games should be big turnouts and that should help their averages. PR will be hurt by having to play at Bayamón Soccer Complex most of the year.

9. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll post my predictions later this weekend. But I'll just say that as long as we see modest increases and the league becoming healthier overall, we should be happy.

Should be interesting to watch.

10. Heggis27

Heggis27 Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Florida
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    I won't pick numbers, but I'm not particularly optimistic this season...I hope I'm wrong.

11. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go:

San Antonio…………….…. 4,500
    Ft. Lauderdale Strikers…... 4,400
    Carolina RailHawks …….… 3,900
    FC Tampa Bay...................3,800
    Atlanta Silverbacks............ 3,200
    Puerto Rico Islanders........ 2,500
    FC Edmonton.....................2,300
    NSC Minnesota Stars........ .2,300

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

and d3 team Orlando will probably outdraw San Antonio

13. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so? They are not representative of D3 as a whole.

14. Maza1987

Maza1987 Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And?

15. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    And some of the USL teams averaged less than 1000 fans per game last year - New York, Dayton, and LA(not including the 3 Puerto Rico teams).

D3 is still D3, not D2, no matter how much one of their teams draw.

16. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That and Orlando, along with Rochester and Charleston, are basically D2 teams masquerading as D3 clubs. All used to be in the second division. All are operated on another level then most other D3 clubs, and as a result draw better and generally perform better.

17. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expect Atlanta to be over 3,000 this year. They seem like they are really making a good amount of investment in the club to improve the on field product. They also had a full offseason to drum up support.

18. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

i hate this nasl vs usl rivalry

teams like orlando and rochester belong in d2

19. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the Strikers, Rowdies and RailHawks all gaining in 2012. Especially the RailHawks, since their attendance last year was depressed by early-season storms. Fortunately, the cicada plague never happened. :p

20. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    It seems the bleachers they will install in the Islanders temporary field will be up to 3,000. But it still going to be hard, since it's not that easy to get to the BSC and people will have to be shuttled to it from the JRL because of lack of parking.

21. XaviusX

XaviusX Member

Mar 21, 2001
    Tampa, Florida
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bayamon Soccer Complex (before any bleachers are added):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't look that hard to get to. It's at one end of one of Bayamon's major roads (Ave Zinia). Then again, I don't know traffic patterns in Puerto Rico. Looked to me like the major problem was the parking.

23. bullsear

bullsear Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    I agree in theory, but part of the reason those teams are doing so well is that they don't have to meet any of the very strict D2 standards. Again, they could meet them in theory, but the fact that they don't have to in actuality is a big plus (and the primary reason they'll never move up).

24. Intru

Intru Member

Mar 16, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Not a lot of people know where it is, wouldn't be a mayor inconvenience for people in Bayamon but for us from San Juan or Carolina, it is now deep inside Bayamon instead of just of the expressway. Then you have the whole parking situation and the shuttle. It makes a 30min trip for me normally into a 45-50 minute one. They would have been better off playing in San Juan in my opinion, but politics down there make it difficult.

25. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any minute now, Kenn is gonna come along and set you straight on just how not so different the two leagues are :)

Other than somewhat increased travel costs and the requirement of a decently sized bond, there isn't a great deal financially separating a team like Rochester and NASL teams. I doubt that they'd have much trouble satisfying those requirements.