2012 Hot seat or getting warm seat

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Cliveworshipper, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Hey Anson - you've proven you're ability to pull out minutiae, Eddie, well, I guess if you want to be totally accurate, UMBC is in there somewhere . . . on the other hand, it's pretty clearly not something that gets highlighted. Also, it doesn't change the fact that UMBC made no discernible effort to keep her and has been unable to identify folks in their pool who could help that program to the point that you have to think they really don't care (although if you just figure they're just stupid, to be fair they haven't made too many good hires across sports over the past decade in anything - it may not be a "soccer thing").

2. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    I'm sure many of us have years, experiences, seasons, we'd rather forget or just wonder how it ever happened. I've met Cromwell but have no idea if she personally states that she regrets those 2 years at UMBC or not. It seems that way but maybe she would not have stayed long anyway, maybe she wanted to leave. Since she's from the DC area, it seemed like a good place to start I imagine. What I do know is plenty of college coaches who would be happy to have 2 10-win seasons in a row and if they did, they are certainly putting it prominently on their resume and website bio. We all know some who would still have their jobs if they could win 10 games a year.

Interesting that maybe someone at UCF saw something and was willing to work with her (maybe they didn't care much about WS, I don't know that admin at all). She played pro soccer seasons in DC and CA while coaching in Florida! That's crazy really but UCF benefited in the long run with some very successful seasons (and UMBC was apparently less tolerant of her poor office hours!). Maybe the moral of the story is - If you want to play pro soccer and still be a head coach, one of the first things you have to do is hire good assistants. I'm sure there are some other examples out there, especially with the new league restarting with low salary budgets. Maybe a new thread on "moonlighting in college soccer"

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats and good luck to Cromwell. I'll be very interested to see how thing go for her there.

4. TXstar12

TXstar12 Member

Dec 16, 2009
    DFW
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Will Colby Hale make a come back at UCF?

5. hilltopsoccer

hilltopsoccer Member

Aug 24, 2007
    TX

6. DrGoat

DrGoat Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Hoppa just signed an extension at Auburn that will pay her more than UCF could match.
    http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/032213aaa.html

Hale could be a candidate, but this is really a Mid-Major job that has exceeded almost everyone's expectations in C-USA. My best guess would be Donna Fishter getting the shot as HC at UCF as Cromwell is told to keep UCLA assistants for the 1st year.

Cromwell was the best female candidate on the UCLA shortlist and good luck to her. Was a qualified list with many D1 SoCal coaches in the mix. Does C-USA success equate to PAC 12 success and recruiting dominance?? Doubtful. But I have been wrong before.

7. Volssoccer

Volssoccer Member

Oct 26, 2008
    NO way Donna Fisher gets a look? Does the UCF staff go with Cromwell? The interview process starts next week as phone calls have already gone out.. Look for Georgtown, Tenn Assistant, Arkansas, and FL assistant, to be considered.

8. cali.soccer

cali.soccer Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Throw Chris Petrucelli in the UCF mix, as well as a few SEC assistants?

9. Wayne Famous

Wayne Famous Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Petrucelli to UCF would make zero sense. Lateral move (at best) in the same conference.

Plus, obviously none of my business, but when you are getting educations for your children (daughter a freshman at SMU this year, first son a freshman at SMU next year - both playing soccer) it's no contest.

Can't blame him for talking to UCLA though if there is any truth to that rumor.

10. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Posts like this remind that sometimes there are other factors for a coach leaving or staying other than just the soccer part. That being said, Petrucelli (why his name is being thrown out after doing so poorly at Texas is beyond me), Hale and Nolan seem like stretches for a UCF. Is it a great spot or a good spot where someone did a great job.

11. luvthegame

luvthegame Member

Oct 17, 2005
  12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    2012.... The infinite year.