2012 Harrisburg City Islanders

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by ButlerBob, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Becerra indicated on a tweet to Basso that he was unhappy with the club, something about no communication or contractual details. If I understand the situation correctly, there is an option on Becerra but it seems unlikely he'll be back. I'd be surprised to see Welker stick with NY, with Rodgers getting his permit denied, they might have the funds for a bigger name come summer transfer window. So yes, pencil in Welker and Noone. Usanov and Duckett are really nice pickups, strengthening the defense which could use a tad moe depth.

2. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Sorry, forgot new faces Tishan Hanley (9) to play high or midfield, or should he be listed as a returnee? Give me a physical central defender with some size to back up starters and we have a solid crop of newbies.

3. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Updated rosters from the City Islanders: http://cityislanders.com/driver.aspx?topic=2010 Pro Team

Harrisburg City Islanders 2012 Roster
    2 Bilal Duckett D
    3 Dustin Bixler D 6-3 185 12/21/82 Mechanicsburg, PA
    4 Adrian LeRoy D
    5 Andrew Marshall D 6-0 175 1/17/84 Winfield, IL
    7 Yann Ekra F
    8 Brian Ombiji M 5-9 160 8/17/82 Eldoret, Kenya
    9 Garret Pettis F 6-0 180 8/31/89 Elizabethtown, PA
    12 Drew Yates D
    13 Stephen Basso D 6-1 170 8/22/87 Costa Rica
    14 Tom Mellor D
    15 Morgan Langley M/F 5-10 150 6/9/89 Honolulu, HI
    16 JT Noone M 6-0 160 7/17/88 Harrisburg, PA
    18 Andrew Welker M 5-11 165 7/31/89 Mechanicsburg, PA
    20 Sainey Touray F 6-1 155 2/8/90 Gambia
    22 Jason Pelletier M 5-10 180 4/24/85 Middletown, PA

Of note, Adrian LeRoy and Tom Mellor join the team while Noone, Welker, Ombiji, Yates, and Bixler officially are re-signed.

Tom Mellor
    "Tom Mellor hails from Oldham, England and was a member of the Manchester United Academy from ages 8-16. The left winger spent his U17 and U18 years with the academy of Championship side Barnsley FC before making the trip across the Atlantic to attend Notre Dame College in South Euclid, Ohio. In his freshman season with the Falcons, Mellor finished second overall in the team in points with eight goals and a team-high 11 assists on the way to grabbing All-American Regional Team honors."
    http://pdl.uslsoccer.com/home/420758.html

Adrian LeRoy
    A Canadian back who played at Old Dominion and Maine in addition to the Ottawa Fury and one game for FC Edmonton. Had a trial with FC Dallas.
    http://www.ottawafury.com/fullstory.php?id=1996

The club obviously addressed defensive depth, but now looks a little thin up top. Will Houapeu sign and add depth on the wings? Will Nelson Becerra return? Who adds depth as the striker?

4. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's 15 + 2 GKs = 17 players. Need 3-5 more. Defense seems ok with 6 guys plus Welker can fill in.

Don't think Becerra will return. Isles have pretty good group of middies - could use a natural striker with some size/strength and couple of eager young guys to round out the squad. Maybe save a space or 2 for loan players from Union reserve team.

Are Usanov, Houapeu, Adlard or Zizzi still in camp?

Rumour sounds like GK problems if Phil Tuttle injured while training with NYRB.

Islanders always come up with GKs but it takes a while to jell with back line.

5. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. Defense looks solid, although I'd like to see Usanov join the team, is he gone or still negotiating his contract? I suppose LeRoy and Mellor might make Usanov superfluous? Kinda interesting that both came from the Ottawa Fury of the PDL. The central midfield is very solid with Pelletier, Noone, Welker, and then wings set with Touray, Ombiji, and Langley. I'd still like to see Houapeu sign to add more depth there, he really impressed me during his UMBC days, plus Touray could always be up top. Noticeably absent is #10 and #11, Schofield and Hotchkin. I know Schofield was thinking about retiring, but I thought Hotchkin was possibly returning, is that not the case?

My biggest concern is: who is the forward in Becher's 4-3-3? Obviously Ekra has been a stud in preseason, but he's very young (21 years) and that's putting of trust in him. Even if Tishan Hanley returns, he's young too. It would've been nice to keep either Ackley or Angulo to play that target forward role, I'm not sure who fills it now if Ekra doesn't produce. With Thorne and Holder in the mix, and Tuttle if he's healthy, the Isles should be fine in goal.

7. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That's Scholfield, nod Scholes :D I think #10 has retired his boots.

Hotch has been sticking around, but I think the team is leaning to young not old utility players. Maybe he should think about working the game from the press box - commentating on the live streaming broadcasts could be cool.

There are concerns that Tuttle may be injured. While Holder and Holt sounds like a top notch law firm, it may not be the tandem the Isles need. Time will tell. I'm willing to bet another keeper will emerge to win the #1 GK.

8. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Not a particularly good news update: Tuttle done for the season with ACL tear, Touray on the shelf after wrist surgery on Friday, and rookie Mellor also has an injured wrist which will sideline him. Nelson Becerra did report to camp but won't return this season. In Tuttle's absence, former MLS keepers Nick Noble and Thorne Holder are fighting for the #1 slot (although neither actually appeared in an official MLS game, Noble was the starter at Ljungskille in the Swedish league).

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2012/04/city_islanders_struggling_with.html

9. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Any word on trialists' play at Penn State. Roster should about be set by Villanova on Sunday.

Roster (newbies in bold): Duckett (1), Ekra (2), Noble (3), Steinlege/Holder (4), Mellor (5), LeRoy (6), Ombiji (7), Pettis (8), Welker (9), Marshall (10), Pelletier (11), Touray (12), Basso (13), Langely (14), Yates (15), Bixler (16), Noone (17).

Needed to start season (20): who's in camp?
    2 midfielders - Zizzi?
    Striker - ???? Houapeu ?
    Maybe a "loan" from Union or a Union trialist still in camp?

10. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Following signing of Brandt, as anticipated roster shows both Steinlage and Noble plus Zizzi signed for 20 man roster. Team still looking for natural striker who can play with back to goal. Sounds like this is the squad for now unless they can borrow (on loan) from Union a reserve player or two.

11. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Great coverage of the City Islanders' season opening press conference and jersey unveiling by the Sports 'Burger (by one of my colleagues there, I'm not self-promoting, well, this time at least):

http://thesportsburger.com/2012/04/...he-city-islanders-2012-team-introduction.aspx

We've talked about this quite a bit, but I am so encouraged to see the team addressing the stadium situation. The location is amazing, but the facility itself is terrible. If they can secure the needed renovations, it will help the team and its bottom line immensely.

I'm not sold on the Arsenal-inspired jerseys, I usually don't like different colored sleeves, and I think the City Islanders logo is way too big on the front of the shirt. But I'll reserve judgment until I see them in the flesh. I'm a little surprised the team hasn't turned to Adidas considering that the Union and Reading United are both sponsored by them (and considering their affiliation).

As for the roster, the retirement of Schofield, Bloes, and Hotchkin leaves a little of a leadership void, one that Bixler, Marshall, Basso, and others must fill. The roster looks a little light, I agree with Buzz that some more attacking depth could be added, particularly a strong target forward. I'm not too worried about it yet, especially when one considers that the team added Ackley, Bernardo, etc. for the playoff push last season. Health is key though, and this team is already pretty banged up. The season opening road trip is tough, two games in two days down south, and then a friendly at the University of Maryland the following weekend before the home opener in just over two weeks. The schedules are really unbalanced, not just in terms in opposition but in the consistency and frequency of games. Hopefully it isn't a problem for the men in blue!

12. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The City Islanders need a crest. They and the Riverhounds do, especially now that Richmond has adopted one.

13. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    While nice to see, it's interesting that rookie and newbie defenders gained USL weekly honors over experienced players who reportedly had strong efforts. The only goal allowed by Isles was a set piece and opponents had few shots on goal. Defenders Mellor and LaRoy should be on board soon as well giving team great depth in the back.

Also, understand that Hoppenot played very well up top for Isles.

Look for Touray to be in action soon with Ekra. It would be great if Hoppenot were to stay on loan and play up top with these guys.

Also - found the following (pics):

http://www.starnewsonline.com/apps/...&Kategori=SPORTS&Lopenr=421009992&Ref=PH&pl=1

14. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here are my pictures and videos from the home opener. I also posted a recap by player on the defense and keepers. I have the same thing for the midfielders and forwards coming soon. I am always a bit of a homer and glass half full so what did you guys think? Bummer bout the weather... that sure hurt attendance and oddly enough I was impressed with the amount of people there with the forecast that we had ahead of time.
    http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/2012/05/harrisburg_vs_charlotte_home_o.html

16. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Hey - I don't like the new format for Big Soccer.

The lads in only their 3rd match just couldn't match the 90 minute form of their opponents in their 7th match. That said, I thought the team was dominate early and played well enough to win, but a few key guys wore down including Duckett so that the midfield links deteriorated and the Eagles' subs were able to attack the Isles' right back creating pressure on the back line which lead to a couple of goals they probably wouldn't concede otherwise.

Hoppentot remains a dynamic force up top and nearly scored on two other occasions. Let's hope the Union allow him to stay in Harrisburg to hone his skill and accumulate playing time. Touray was dangerous but couldn't get a solid shot off. Mellor hit the side of the net as did Langley who squandered several dangerous opportunities in the first half. Noble was capable in the net. While exhibiting his experience at times, Bixler looks a bit slow and lacks form. Expect to see Brandt and/or LeRoy getting time in the back with Marshall and Basso. Pelletier did his usual part for a full 90 while Welker and Noone showed well before tiring in second half.

Com'on lads - get your arses in shape. It's a short season and teams will be very competitive this year.

17. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why are the Isles signing another keeper? Is one moving on? Maybe a MLS team needs a keep. Noble seems to have played reasonably well and provides good size in the air. Steinlage seems to be a solid backup, recognizing his role. Holt is a mere 5'8" - but has good credentials and played PDL locally.

18. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    HELLOOOOOOO.
    No body out there anymore?
    Isles beginning to take form and outplayed Pittsburgh but Hounds' GK managed to keep them in the match and result in a somewhat disappointing tie.
    Saturday was different - taking the same agressive, pacey approach, the Isles ran away from Dayton. Touray and Langley missed great chances but Ekra was on fire with hat trick. Langley managed to tuck one one as well. Noble made great save on questionable PK awarded by referee who seemed to ignore the assistance offered by the AR who was right on top of the play. It was not the only poor call she made. Dayton showed poor sporstmanship in last 20 minutes with chipy and dangerous play while Isles gave their bench some quality time. LeRoy was particularly impressive playing out-of-postion alongside Pelletier in holding midfield. Also, Yates gets better every match and is now showing confidence and form Isles saw last year when he signed. Mellor is nice, technical player off bench and Pettis works hard up top. Brandt teaming nicely with Marshall at center back.
    Big Open Cup match Tues. before weekend showdown with rival Roch Rhinos.

19. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man O' man, did I pick the wrong match to miss!!!! 4-0 on the strength of Ekra's hat trick is awesome plus it is great to see Noble stop a PK.

Facing New England would be great but we have business to take care of tomorrow night and it will not be easy. Other then the 5-1 win over Yakima, we have always been played close by PDL clubs. I think OC, Long Island, and Reading were all one goal matches!

20. wlamar3

wlamar3 Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Harrisburg
    Wow what a game. The City Islanders defeat the Revolution in shootout.
    End of regulation 0-0. End of 1st OT 3-0 Rev. End of 2nd OT 3-3.
    Harrisburg advance in the US Open Cup.

21. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was so incredible!!! So glad we stuck it out through the rain with a 1-year old. Unforgettable! AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!!!

22. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an incredible piece of work, guys. Hopefully I can find it online somewhere later, I want to see that game.

And hopefully it brings more attention to the team.