2012 Harrisburg City Islanders

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by ButlerBob, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Two former City Islanders are at the NASL combine, Vincenzo Bernardo and Anthony Di Biase. Di Biase appeared in 8 matches for the City Islanders in 2010 but played from the Hamilton Rage (PDL) last season. Bernardo scored the game-winning goal in yesterday's scrimmage.

buzz99 appears to be right about Stephen Basso returning to Harrisburg as he tweeted: "Great training session last night with City Islanders #almostadonedeal."

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hax, your thinking for today and a minimum that they need. You need to think about long term growth of what the fans could use today but additional revenue for the future. And for that suites are more then a nice to have they are important. You have suites and there is the potential for additional revenue and it raises your ticket revenue. But I see your point, if they can get some of the improvements today, suites should not be a road block for improvement.

The other part that makes me go wow is that they are going into year 9. What an accomplishment for the club. They should be a case study for potential expansion teams of the improtance of "living within your means". They know what they can afford to spend and they stay on budget. They have had a very lean organiztion that has been very productive.

3. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    ButlerBob,

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a pimped out stadium on City Island. Suites would be tremendous, as would a roof above the fans, real food court, improved party deck, etc. But I think a very cost effective approach might be to rebuild the stadium in phases. Phase one establishes the foot print with new stands, lockers, and restrooms. Phase two could be suites, improved lighting, roof, etc. Phase three could be behind the goals, with a new party deck and improved stand on each end. I think we need to be realistic about the team and area's finances. That being said, I agree that suites might be necessary to woo corporate sponsors or, at the least, corporate ticket holders. I was just thinking about the short term within very limited funding. But suites might be included in any private investment scheme. And I agree, the fact that the team has survived is no small feat and the team's executives and ownership group deserve much praise. I pray they pull this stadium renovation off because it's crucial to meet USL standards and make the team more economically stable.

4. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hax,

Didn't mean it to come across that strongly. Agree, they are at the point where they can get what they get and the top needs are a new stand (or more importantly a permanent stand) and then infrastructure like locker rooms and bathrooms.

So let's start thinking about who are the top Corps in the are that may be able to help out.

PA Blue Cross / Blue Shield
    Hershey Foods
    RiteAide (not sure how they are doing these days)

What's the biggest of the regional Banks or car dealerships in the area? Although not a bank; the PA State Employee Credit Uniion is probably the biggest credit union in the state. I'm a member because you qulaify if you graduate from one of the state system of higher education.

Maybe they could get investment / sponsorship from Yuengling. A little east of there but they sell alot of product in the market.

Well, just bought what I hope is the winning Powerball ticket. I would love a reason to get back to the area on a more regular basis. LOL

5. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Great minds think alike, I just bought my Powerball ticket too and the wife promised I could use some of the money to invest in the City Islanders!

I think your list of potential corporate sponsors is spot on. I'd add Weis Markets (their headquarters is just up the river in Sunbury), Harsco (industrial company based in Camp Hill), Select Medical (Mechanicsburg), Bon-Ton Deaprtment Stores (York), Armstrong (building materials, Lancaster), and maybe Boscov's Department Stores or Sovereign Bank (both in Reading). I suppose that Sheetz (based in Altoona) or Wawa (Delaware County) is too far away, much like Allentown-based companies PPL (energy), Agere Systems (electronics/communications), and Air Products (industrial gases). But still, that's a decent list to start from.

6. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Bulls arrived in Arizona with two new names as trialists, and two more added competitors for the goalkeeping spot.

While venerable Frank Rost announced his retirement, GM Erik Soler and coach Hans Backe brought in two more young Americans to compete with the pair they already acquired this offseason.

Phillip Tuttle is a 24-year-old Notre Dame product who was picked in the second round of the 2011 Supplemental Draft by San Jose and spent last season as a backup on the Harrisburg City Islanders.
    At the moment, the Red Bulls have just two keepers on the roster, Jeremy Vuolo and rookie Ryan Meara from Fordham. They could use a third, even to serve asa No. 3 keeper.

8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rite Aid is losing money like a sieve. They lost $2B in 2009 and $500M in 2010. I'd go for Yuengling.

EDIT: -$590M in FY2011. FY2012 will probably be similar.

9. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There should be a flurry of signings coming out soon. A few guys have signed the dotted line but the team is waiting for league approval to make them public.

Tuttle was on the roster but did not play in the Red Bulls most recent match (vs. RSL). Angulo, Ruthven, and Welker all saw playing time in the 1-0 loss.

http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/2012/02/post_17.html

Chase signing with the Union is great for him and well deserved.

http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/2012/02/chase_harrison_signs_with_phil.html

Camp opens in the middle of March so it is getting closer! Can't wait to get this show on the road.

10. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    We know at least one preseason match:

City Islanders at Penn State, Wednesday, April 11, 4 pm
    http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/022412aac.html

Any City Islanders fans play the FIFA video game series? The new roster update has former City Islanders Tomer Chencinski (Orebro, Sweden, 55 rating), Chase Harrison (Philadelphia Union, 57 rating), and Sheanon Williams (Union, 65 rating). Other former players who've appeared in the game series include Morgan Langley (Union, 57 in FIFA 12), while J.T. Noone (Union, 59), Brian Ackley (FK Pribram, Czech League, 58), Jason Herrick (Chicago Fire, 61) and Harrison (56) were in FIFA 11. A whole host of Isle guys, including Tiyi Shipalane, Danny Cepero, Tino Nunez, and Drew Yates were in FIFA 10. I know you can create teams and a few versions of the City Islanders are available to download, but it's always cool to see Harrisburg alums pop up in the game officially

11. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    As always, not much news coming out of City Island except that many former Islanders are playing or trying out with other teams. Not even any good rumours from the try-outs and/or Monday night work-outs.

Competition will be much stronger across the board this season. A number of the USLPro teams are already well into training and competition (LA, Orlando, Charleston). Richmond, Wilmington and Charlotte have solid core groups of returnees and start play soon.

Angulo, Welker, Tuttle, Touray, DiBernardo are all on the trialist circuit. Becerra, Marshall, Noone are finishing up indoor seasons.

Bixler and Yates both coming off major knee surgeries (if they play again) and Herrick may not play again. Gone are Calvano (retired/Pittsburgh?), Scholfield and Bloes (retired) and Harrison may win the third GK spot at Phila. Uncertain are Ombiji and Hotchkin who may attempt to return along with Thayer. Noone may try out with NASL. Ackley signed with NASL.

Players under contract would appear to be Basso, Marshall, and Langley. Pelletier will likely return. Bixler and Yates may give it another try. That's pretty much the squad for now.

Anyone have any good leads on other returnees or signees????? Any other releases from Union available?

12. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    buzz,

Harrison did, in fact, sign with Philly, and Herrick officially retired, so they're both completely out of the picture. Haven't heard much else beyond the three you mentioned returning (Basso, Langley, Marshall). Vincenzo Bernardo tweeted that he's signing with another club, considering his strong performance at the NASL combine, presumably it's there.

13. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In theory, if Chase ends up being the true second string backup in Philly then yes, we won't seee him on City Island except for maybe during the annual friendly. However, if the Union sign another keeper and Chase ends up as the third string guy we may see him on loan kinda like Cepero was. I think my personal opinion is that Chase will be in Philly all season..... bummer for us, but great for him.

Info on players who impressed during the tryouts and have earn invites to camp in a few weeks is pretty tight lipped. I think a few guys have signed or are close to signing (from last season) but it is just not public yet. A bunch are coming back and hoping to earn deals again if they do well enough.

If they do not stick with New York I would bet we will see Jose, Phil, and Andrew back. Jose is really making a solid impression. I understand he has leaned out a bit and has added more speed to go with his touch and scoring sense. I think his knock in the past was that he was a bit slow... not the case now apparently.

I hope Bix can come back. I also hope Thayer is back. Those guys with Marshall and Basso will make a solid defense for sure.

I plan on being at camp on one of the first few days getting info, pics, and vids.

14. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a bit of info on some of the keepers who are coming into camp.

http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/2012/03/city_islander_staff_has_a_void.html

I will be posting a detailed Q&A with Daniel Johnson very soon. He has impressed at the tryouts and has been doing Monday night workout sessions with HCI.

These guys are scheduled to head into camp but more could come into the mix also.

15. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Red Bulls stock up on former City Islanders, officially sign Jose Angulo and Tyler Ruthven.

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/news/2012/03/red-bulls-sign-four-players-roster

Best of luck to them, although Angulo faces a heck of a logjam at the forward position in NYC, with Henry, Cooper, Rodgers, Agudelo, Hertzog, and others ahead of him. Team also signed former FCNY sorward Jhonny Arteaga.

16. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Sainey Touray has re-signed with the City Islanders, a key signing since he was so productive last season (7 goals, 6 assists). He's such a dynamic presence and, coupled with Morgan Langley's return, gives Harrisburg speed to burn on the wings. The team still needs a target man with Jose Angulo headed to MLS (NY) and Brian Ackley off to the NASL (Carolina), but the attack looks promising so far.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/605874.html

17. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    The City Islanders defeated Long Island University 4-0 in their first preseason scrimmage tonight at Millersville University. Trialist Yann Ekra had a brace while Garret Pettis and Maxim Usanov scored. Here's the lowdown on a few of the trialists:

Yann Ekra, F
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yann_Ekra

Andy Adlard, MF
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Adlard
    http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/m-soccer/mtt/adlard_andy00.html

Garret Pettis, F
    http://www.lipscombsports.com/msoccer/roster/2011-12/2414/garret-pettis/

Maxim Usanov, D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxim_Usanov

The team could certainly use some more forwards with Jose Angulo and Brian Ackley moving onto to MLS and NASL respectively. Ekra certainly has an intriguing pedigree, while Pettis is the owner's son but also an accomplished scorer from the NCAA ranks. Adlard has a really interesting background, his father was a goalkeeper for Nottingham Forest & England, and Andy played in the Chelsea youth system. Max Usanov is a Russian defender who played for Toronto FC as well as Zenit and Skonto Riga. He's a right back and would replace Anthony Calvano who retired. A defense of Usanov and Basso on the wings with Bixler and Marshall plus Tuttle in net seems rock solid once again. Impressive crew of trialists IMO.

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2011/02/crew-notes-adlard-has-bigtime-background

18. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
  19. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    City Islanders tied St. Francis 1-1 yesterday with Yann Ekra scoring the lone goal. With 3 goals in 2 preseason games, I think it's safe to say he's earned a contract. Cuts will be made today as Becher sifts through the trialists.

20. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Things moving slowly as is typical for the Islanders. Under contract, Marshall, Basso and now Duckett on back line, Tuttle in goal, Pettetier and Yates in midfield, Langley and Touray on the wings. Becerra under contract but no word on his return after indoor season.

Probable returnees include Noone, Bixler and Welker. Trialists getting attention of coaches include Adlard, Ekra, (former Union forward) Houapeau, and (former Islander) Hanley. Others getting strong looks include GKs Swaim and Diaz, as well as Usinov, Zizzi and Pettis. Oldies but goodies Hotchkin and Ombiji still hanging around. Add another central defender and a speedy winger to the mix and this group could make up a decent roster with lots of scoring punch.

No doubt, surprises to come as season draws near.

21. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Good assessment of things by buzz99. Most of the pieces from last year's squad return with the exception of Angulo, Ackley, Calvano, Schofield, and Harrison. Losing Bernardo and Seabrook is no big deal since neither saw the field much, Usanov and Duckett more than adequately replace Calvano, and Tuttle gets to continue the strong tradition of goalkeeping on City Island. The big question is who plays the target forward role held by Angulo/Ackley. Ekra has been impressive in the two scrimmages, Houapeu offers more speed on the flanks, and many of the trialists mentioned by buzz99 fill out the roster nicely. I like the makeup of things thus far, a good mixture of experience and youth. It should be interesting to see how Bixler and Yates recover from knee injuries, who mans the center of a crowded midfield with Welker/Noone/Yates/Adlard/Pelletier/possibly Becerra/etc. The City Islanders again are building depth at many positions, allowing Bill Becher lots of options throughout the season. Can't wait to get the season going!

22. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Becher has a great ability to retool the team. At this level, you really need to be able to do that. Your always going to lose your better players to a higher level. But is in a great area where they can find players from some pretty good colleges both in state and nearby states. And when you throw in the relationship with the Uniion, I think that helps to retool.

23. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Plus Becher said the City Islanders wait a little longer than other teams to have their trials because it enables them to snatch a few guys who just missed the cut with MLS. So many factors enable them to attract talent: the run to the USL-PRO final last year, their relationship with the Union, the team's track record of sending players to MLS (Shipalane to DC United, Angulo to the Red Bulls, several to the Union), strong links to the NASL (the Carolina Railhawks might field as many as four former Islanders), Harrisburg's location in the northeast, a tradition of U.S. Open Cup success, and of course, my support! :D

Plus I'm optimistic the stadium might finally see improvements. The football goalposts were taken down, the team is going to expand the size of the pitch, and they are actively trying to secure better seating, etc. It might take a couple of years to complete, but with City Island's setting, a renovated facility will further attract players and fans. I'm feeling pretty good about things with the franchise, I just hope the ownership group is surviving these tough economic times. Bring on opening day, I'll happily restock my closet with City Islanders gear to help the club's bottom line. ;)

24. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    So I'm starting to wonder how the lineup might look as we kick off 2012. This could be some variation of the City Islanders squad if some more of these trialists sign. Ekra is signed, the team's Facebook page showed him and Duckett at the offices. Will Usanov sign too? Do we see Welker and Noone back on City Island as rumored? Until Bixler and Yates are completely healthy, I anticipate something like this:

[LINEUP-4-3-3]Touray, Ekra, Langley, Noone, Welker, Pelletier, Basso, Marshall, Duckett, Usanov, Tuttle[/LINEUP-4-3-3]

The reserves include: Bixler, Yates, Houapeu, Hotchkin, Adlard, Zizzi, etc.

25. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    OK - time to announce another couple of signings and throw some names around of other potential signees. It will be important to know about Noone and Welker. As most MLS and NASL clubs have set rosters, it's a good bet they'll be in an Islanders' jersey soon. Noticed that Ryan Richter signed elsewhere - it would have been nice to have him on board.

Coach Becher hinted there may be as many as 10 new faces: how about Duckett (1), Ekra (2), GoalKeeper (3), Usanov (4), Houapeu (5), Adlard (6), Zizzi (7), Pettis (8), another central defender (9), another holding midfielder(10).

Returnees: Marshall (1), Pelletier (2), Touray (3), Basso (4), Langely (5), Yates (6), Bixler (7), Noone (8), Welker (9), Tuttle (10)

Boarderline: Hotchkin (1), Ombiji (2)

Release: Becerra

That's 22.