2012 AFC Champions League

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by jonny63, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    the current format is good but I think a neutral site for the final was better than giving one team the advantage. i think they should switch back to that.

2. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    Where would you play the neutral final given the fans of the finalists would only have two weeks to make arrangements? It would have to be a country that doesn't care about visa's, and it would have to be played more or less central unless the host was announced after the finalists had made it.

3. jsk14

jsk14 Member+

Mar 2, 2010
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    in the name of fairness thats what i think if you are going to have one single championship deciding match. otherwise make it two legs.

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Hope there's nothing controversial. :eek:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/afc-champions-league/news/1127547/Aussie-officials-land-ACL-final-gig

5. bambibambi

bambibambi New Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Only two Arab teams have made the final since 2007 and one of the only two had to play the final at an away soil. Two of the last five finals were played over two legs, two other played at a neutral stadium, and one at a home stadium of a drawn host that was decided by a lottery. I don't know about you but those are hardly anything to cry over.

Also, since when has either coin tossing or one legged final system been deemed unfair in sports? Randomly drawing a host is not a perfect system, but it certainly isn't an unfair one. With better results on the field, it would be Al Hilal who is hosting the final this weekend instead of Ulsan; where were your complaints when this draw was made back in the summer?

I've watched the AFC Champions League when its final was two legged and they were not nearly as exciting as the finals of the last few years. A final--notice the word is singular--in this sport is meant to be played over one deciding match. How many cup finals can you name for this sport? Not many. Can you imagine how a two legged European Champions League final would play out? I doubt you can. Spreading a final over two games divides excitement meant for a single, two hour match to a length of a week (plus more), not to mention losing overall appeal to the neutral viewers; there are reasons why the newly introduced sponsors in the mid 2010's were so eagerly pushing for a change. Two legged final isn't an option.

AFC tried neutral venues and it had a hard time drawing attendees so now they are onto randomly drawing a host team. AFC is going to experiment at least a few more years with the current system, and you most definitely won't see a change until the finals have spread around more to different countries. I like it as is and if I had to guess, the only way it changes is if one country keeps hosting the final; infinitely more probable reason for a change than it being 'unfair'. What's unfair is Arabs, or those living in a predominantly Arab region, complaining about not seeing enough finals when they have only managed to come up with two finalists out of a possible ten in the last five years. Taking the current format into consideration (which actually was only implemented a year ago), math says you will see a final every five years. You were off by one. Boo hoo.

6. druryfire

druryfire Member

Sep 10, 2007
    England
    There's been a West Asian team in every final since it went to one leg, that' what he said and that is the fact. You can't suddenly then change this from West Asian to Arab.

Even the neutral finals was stupid, both played in Japan, why is it that any other competition AFC organise is played in West one edition and East the next but ACL wasn't.

Think before you post again please.

7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  8. al ittihady

al ittihady Member

Jan 5, 2009
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Nat'l Team:
    Saudi Arabia
    So we have the final today..Ulsan are the clear favourites in all the scenarios..They know how to face a west asian team plus playing at home..Rafinha will be a trouble for Ahli defence and specially when there main defender is out plus one of the RB Mansour Harbi is suspended..
    Ahli finally have a real test in ACL now..They did not travel beyond Iran on way to the finals.The team has always failed in playing in the east asia..Midfield is good along with striking pair is terrible ..If Ahli contains Ulsan in the midfieled then the game is all theres...
    My Prediction - Ulsan 3-0 Ahli

wakr, el-capitano, GunnerTNB and 2 others repped this.
  9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see them do what they are doing in the (US) MLS now, have the final played at the home of the team that has the best overall best record in the tournament. Ie, points/GD record from the group stage onwards... there would at least be some sort of fairness / methodology in a home "seeding" format as opposed to the open draw.

Btw - what time does this game kick off at anyhoo, Saudi/Kuwait/Qatar time preferably?

10. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Can we say congrats to Ulsan already?

11. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

wakr, al ittihady, Nurafshon and 2 others repped this.
  12. edlee1992

edlee1992 Member+

Apr 3, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Can korea just have an extra spot in the acl. Cause we clearly deserve it . Or atleast an afc cup place

13. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Congratulations to Ulsan. :)

14. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  15. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Official attendance of the match was 42,153.

And here's 7 min HL clip in 720p