2012-2013 Europa League Match thread [R]

Discussion in 'Olympique Lyonnais' started by AfrcnHrbMan, Sep 20, 2012.

1. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's the other thing i meant to mention! on TV (and I had the english soundtrack, french TV often gives you multiple choices these days) the lyon fans were making about 80% of the noise.

2. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yea much respect to the traveling supporter, loud and in great number. Lyon deserved at least a 1-1 in this match. But I'm pleased on how the played and I haven't nothing to fear when Spurs come to Lyon in the return leg. I think we still got this boys.

guignol repped this.
  3. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    that's the spirit herbman!

4. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Starting XI for the match;
    Vercoutre - Umtiti, Lovren, Bisevac, Reveillère - Fofana, Grenier, Gonalons - Lisandro, Gomis, Lacazette
    Remplaçants: Lopes, Koné, Dabo, Ferri, Malbranque, Ghezzal, Briand

Friedel - Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto - Lennon, Parker, Dembélé, Holtby - Bale - Adebayor
    Remplaçants: Lloris, Naughton, Dawson, Caulker, Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Livermore.
    Grenier gets the start for this big match, probably on the back of his performance against Bordeaux. Fridel preferred over Lloris lol.

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Malbranque on the bench ? That looks like a more defensive lineup. Fridel over Lloris makes sense since its the Europa League and he's good and you want him to play some games. If OL had a backup keeper who was #1 quality like Fridel then he'd start too.

6. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yea I can see your point SB. He's good enough to start.

7. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    :(

we do not deserve to lose this

StarrMatthieu repped this.
  8. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    This is what I heard from the color guy's mouth right after Spurs scored the goal:

"justice is done, tottenham are the better footballing outfit."

Yeah please remind to never watch a match with English commnentators ever again.

AfrcnHrbMan and StarrMatthieu repped this.
  9. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in the end, they scored a goal, didn't do anything else for seventy minutes, and they're out. The international irrelevance of Lyon is complete. Awful.

10. KellanF

KellanF Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Midwestern US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    After Spurs scored there was really nothing to be done. Lyon had been sitting their on their arses and Garde took off the only two players who could regularly score a goal.

11. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd I'd Rather Walk Alone

May 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From being in the final 8 of Europe to not being able to get out of the 32s of the second-rate tourney and mewling about a top-3 league finish. The mighty have certainly fallen.

12. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I hate football sometimes.

But Lyon deserve this. Parking the bus for 45 minutes with only a 1 goal lead? WTF?

And BTW this does kind of vindicate what Barton was saying about French football. UGH.

13. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    It has to do with the contrast in coaching. One team has the budget to hire the best manager available and the other one hires the cheap local guy. Heck even if OL had more money they still wouldnt sign a guy like Villa Boas and would go with the French guy like all French teams do.

14. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    I dont blame OL for signing Garde since he's done wonders integrating the youth players into the squad. In the long term I think it was the right decision. But today he showed some real inexperience in his coaching. And a real lack of nerve.

15. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    ALLEZ BORDEAUX !!!

16. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yup it looks like they are going through but they are a boring team to watch and I have no hope they are going further. :cry:

17. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Julien Faubert is showing how he use to play for Bordeaux i'm liking it !

18. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    plus had some supporters showing up should be packed out the next europa match thats for sure!

19. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    this is a classic Bordeaux win nothing but a win nothing else.... things should spiceup

20. StarrMatthieu

StarrMatthieu Member+

Dec 15, 2007
    USA/FRANCE
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  21. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This sucks, this fucking sucks! I can not express the rage I'm feeling right now, it's hard to type with my hand hurting from punching my refridgerator. Unacceptable. What the ******** was that second half, Garde? You're going to try to sit on a 1-0 lead, knowing 1 single Spurs goal can kill us?? I saw what they were doing in the second and didn't feel good about it, then Bale missed a really dangerous chance, and I thought the lads would try to bag a second. If only Laca would have stayed strong on that chance instead of going down for a peno....We threw this away this tie with conservatism and lack of a killer instinct. We were the better team in the first leg and the first half of the second. And we don't try to take them to the sword. Fucking lucky Scum cunts. ARRRG

22. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    another heartbreaker but no reason to hand our heads. it was a damned close-run thing.

and once again the ref didn't give us a penalty that looked pretty ironclad. so there are shades of both milan and PSV;

sigh...

i think the tactics were fine and they nearly worked. spurs weren't great. OL was collected and in control and that shot wasn't even that great and could have gone wide just as well as in.

only my opinion but nothing will convince me to change it.

23. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    You're wrong Guinol. Lyon were playing at home and were the better side but they played like scared girls. Its unacceptable. Garde is a young coach and he will learn from this....hopefully.

P.S. That MIGHT have been the right tactic if Lyon were a team that is used to playing defensively and had the defensive unit to pull it off. But that's not OL's style. Plus over the past few season's defense has NOT been Lyon's strong suit. Why bet the house on your weakest hand???

SportBoy333 repped this.
  24. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Well said.

25. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I may have reacted too poorly right after the final whistle. I had a whole bottle of cotes du rhone in me, and I lost my cool. But even after a good night's sleep, I still have to side with Lefutur on this one. The tactics were wrong in the second half. Lyon is not a bunker team, and Tottenham can attack to well to just sit back and invite them on to us. It nearly worked, but for that entire half, I felt like it would blow up in our faces, and it did. We have the quality to have won this tournament, and I still feel we threw all away to tactical naivety.

lefutur repped this.