2012/20 Maya Yoshida @ Southampton F.C. (ENG)

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by Dax, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hes been taking beating after beating sicne he came to Europse and played for VVV, this is nothing new, just on a higher level. This was never a good idea to move to Southampton where he will be forced to defend 60%+ of the game and most likely lose every match, not good for a young players confidence especially one as inexperienced and fragile as Yoshida. Just hope Southampton can get it together and play like they did vs Man City week 1 and play some better defense.

2. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Sure better turn down a better salary and the opportunity to play in the PL.

He's not.

Hopefully you guys learn to cope with the fact that they'll lose a lot and that it won't be the end of the world.

mushu21 repped this.
  3. Majster2

Majster2 Member+

Apr 23, 2010
    Poland
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    It was Man City, Man U and now Arsenal. Nothing to be too worried about. Or were they aiming for CL next year?

4. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Take it easy guys, you thought Southampton would win ? This is a good move.

5. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    No one expected them to win, but a 6-1 defeat is not acceptable no matter what team you are.

There is a big difference between losing 1-0 and 6-1.

6. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  7. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having just watched the game, Ill say Yoshida wasnt a complete disaster...he was at fault for 1 goal surely, and possibly another because he had a half chance to clear a ball that was going for goal(very difficult play). The GK was off his game too.

You cant just blame the defense though, Southampton as a whole were awful, they were demoralized after the unlucky own goals and the goal by Podolski off a free kick where the keeper was poorly positioned. When you play half a## you earn results like these, and thats what happened. Low energy, no fight, just going through the motions to finish out the game. Arsenal were toying with them...Southampton had an encouraging 2nd half, but its clear that the huge issue with the team is defense as they dont play as a unit but as individuals. Yoshida single handedly resurrected Gervinho's career today...not a good debut at all, but hopefully he took some positives away and works hard to improve. I feel there is hope, they just need to be more focused.

8. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Since he will play costantly in the EPL, getting european experience and defending against some of the strongest fws of the world, for me, it's OK.

9. harano81

harano81 New Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Yo. Long time lurker/reader. Thought I delurk to comment on Yoshida. I follow all the Japanese players (being Japanese) and admire the dedication and work the posters do on this forum to keep track of all of them. Even though I'm a gooner, I was keeping my eye on Yoshida and I thought he did well. You gotta keep in mind this is one of his first matches (if not the first) in the EPL. Its not a easy league. If you take away the two OGs and the freak Free kick, it was only 1-1 at half time, so the Saints still did pretty well. In the second half, down 3 goals they obviously made a effort to come out and get the football and attack, which left them open to counters (which is what Arsenal apparently wanted to practice). Thus the two goals at the end of the game were inevitable seeing as they left themselves wide open on attack - and lets face it - they're a newly promoted side. And their GK is crap. Still Yoshida looked very lively and nimble with the ball. There was one play where he dribbled the ball straight into the midfield, attracted at least 8 Arsenal Players and than booted it down the right wing to a the open winger. He plays good football and I expect to see him play more regularly.

mushu21, Saku² and nakata101 repped this.
  10. mushu21

mushu21 Member

May 18, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's his job.

AKITOD, danofsteele and seolseol repped this.
  11. danofsteele

danofsteele Member

Jan 1, 2012
    London
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    seolseol repped this.
  12. danofsteele

danofsteele Member

Jan 1, 2012
    London
    Club:
    Southampton FC
  13. danofsteele

danofsteele Member

Jan 1, 2012
    London
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Maya will be talking to the British press this afternoon as part of the preview to this weekends game against Aston Villa.

14. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Anywhere going to broadcast this?

15. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    Than he will be a starter for sure?

16. danofsteele

danofsteele Member

Jan 1, 2012
    London
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    He impressed everyone with his English by all accounts. I don't think he was expecting so many journalists though?

[​IMG]

seolseol repped this.
  17. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Someone watching? I'm curious of a report, but I can't watch now.

19. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am. Good game so far. He and Fonte have good controll.

Dax repped this.
  20. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Good first half by Yoshida. I've heard the commentator say "away by Yoshida" like 10 times this half so he is doing something right. Their offensive play is poor though.

21. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    3-1 to S'hampton now :)

22. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Good job by Yoshida.

He had a couple of moments where he lost his composure, but dealt with everything well.

seolseol repped this.
  23. TODOROKI_11

TODOROKI_11 Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Excellent!!!

Time for him to mature into the defender we need in the JNT.

24. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good result for Southampton, Aston Villa are offensively challenged but you gotta start somewhere. Great bounce back from last weeks debacle.