(2012.02.29) FIFA World Cup Qualifier: Japan x Uzbekistan [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by sc-f, Feb 28, 2012.

1. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    It seemed like a lot of players weren't in 100% physical condition. Nagatomo had to be subbed out due to injury, and Ucchi was totally spent by 80th minute (couldn't even control a simple pass). There was a lack of movement, which eventually resulted in Kagawa having to drop deep to get involved with the play, which isn't really the point of playing him.

2. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    What can we expect from Uchida, he is barely on the bench in Schalke.

3. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Gotta give it to Uzbekistan. Usually, when Japan puts the pressure, teams fumble and start giving the ball away. They didn't, they kept their cool and played a very good passing game to take us out off or game.

4. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    No offence, but it's like you watch a game of Japan..........then formulate opinions on the team/players based purely on the scoreline with no regard for their actual performance individually/team. Kagawa was a boss in the first half for example. Uchida was not that bad.

To sum up, we dominated. Then conceded on a random counter (which was Uzbek's first opportunity). Then we continued to dominate, and only towards the final 5-10 minutes when we were pressing forward too far looking for an equaliser did we concede more chances.

Also....Inui looked like a boss considering it was his first game in a while for Japan.

Rhetorical stuff like this is sometimes very annoying.

....yeah i'm not in a great mood lol.

5. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course Japan controlled the game they have far superior talent than Uzbek. Nobody should be content with this scoreline, its really pathetic. Japan not only brought their A team but Uzbekistan was fielding a B team and then to top it all off lost the game at home.

Japan just seemed flat, sure, they kicked the ball around and had more % of the ball, big deal, they did that in their sleep. The problem is they never woke up, no urgency, no fire, it was such a boring game to watch Uzbekistan wanted it more, they deserve some credit.

On a positive note Inui played a good match, he seems like a carbon copy of Kagawa the problem is both need the ball at their feet to be at their best. They didnt link up as well as I thought they would.

6. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Uchida is in his last days.

After the Olympics, H. Sakai will replace him.

I actually felt that Yoshida had a good game and I'm happy with his performance.

Still need a striker.

Inui and Kagawa did well at the end. I'd like to see more of them together.

7. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think there's no need to do that face.
    Do you really think that we would have lost today?
    We all said that Uzbeks were missing 4-5 fundamental players.
    There's someone who also tried a bet on 2-0 for us..
    These answers aren't so funny as you might think and i don't think i said something so wrong.
    Today, the match was horrible. Just that.

I also noticed something else: we could meet Uzbeks even in the next round, right?
    That wouldn't be a great news.

We did wrong every passage in every counterattack we tried, today.
    Kagawa was slipping on the field, i don't know why.
    We did one good counterattack, but we didn't shot, so it was difficult scoring..

I repeat: the difference of level was too far in our side. We were too strong for "this" Uzbekistan. Anyway, congrats to them: they'll probably be one of the four squad who will be in Brazil. If they, without 5 players, they could play so carefully, with also some luck, well..

8. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    One thing that does bother me is that once we get under pressure we tend to resort to the long ball which is definitely not a good thing. Saw it against N. Korea and saw it here again.

9. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Aye, that state of affairs is so heartbreaking I don't even want to mention it. But probably the fact that this was a dead rubber had an influence on Zac starting him over Komano. Just to give him that one more chance to show what he has.

And I was quite amused at how Inui was running everything after he came on, that Zac had to pull him to one side and tell him to stick to the touchline. Which Inui promptly ignored of course LOL.

10. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    To add to your point, I didn't get that they barely used long ball when Havenaar was still on the pitch.

11. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Really?

That's why we created chances right?

Like I said nothing was different. I've seen Kagawa in similar positions where he has scored. The only difference between today and any other day is that the ball did not go in.

We created chances, but nothing went it. It happens, suck it up. Just be thankful that this kind of loss didn't happen in a truly meaningful match.

12. Pjdawa

Pjdawa Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Considering that it was a useless match for Japan and many players were out of condition or fatigued (Nagatomo,Kagawa,Uchida...) it wasn't a bad performance overall.
    You'll see a different determination when the result will really count.

And there are two things i must say:
    -Uzbekistan is a really strong team,and they will be a real competitor in the final stage for every opponent.
    -South Korea are still in contention for qualification right now...in a group with Lebanon and Kuwait. Really weaker opponents than Uzbekistan or spirited North Korea...

13. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Kagawa, during all this game, suffered from "i'm losing a little bit the ball at every stop"-syndrome. I don't why, since in Germany he's doing great.
    Uchida was horrible. He reached the bottom of the field only once, granting a corner kick: it's certainly not enough.
    I don't know why - and i'm asking myself for one year - why Hiroki Sakai, Komano or even Inoha couldn't play in his place.

I agree, turning the ball around is a thing we always do, but today we didn't shot more than once.
    This is not really domination. Especially against an opponent who wants you to be there and watching their goal from 30-40 meters away.

Today a little less than in Pyongyang, actually.. ;)

14. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Looking at the whole line-up I don't think Zac regarded the game as dead rubber. Uchida is still first choice for him.

But I don't think that fielding him was a mistake imo. I think Zac should have made a wake up call taking off either Fujimoto or Havenaar in the first half and not wait until it was obviously too late.

15. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Typical Inui. :D

Full credit to Uzbekistan, sometimes I don't think the world gives enough credit to their football, they're a very solid team.

The loss at home is dissapointing, but like others have said, we're not going to Brazil 2014 without a few bad results.

16. hallelujah_united

Oct 21, 2006
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    This I could understand why: He couldn't win anything in the air despite being a head taller than the Uzbek defenders...:(

17. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Meh Kagawa was not at his best, Endo looked really slow, Uchida has no gas tank, things were different and we created chances because it was Uzbekistan after all.
    It was definitely not their day.

Whispered > Don't overreact. That's all.

18. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I wonder who'll replace Endo, even though he's still a top player I'm worried about his lack of mobility around the field, especially in two years time.

19. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I am, just upset about the loss, i'm sure that this team could be more than what we see today. Even without Honda.

I agree on both your considerations.
    Uzbeks made it to the 4th place in Asian Cup 2011 and there are some empty spaces for next World Cup.
    Them, Iran and i dare say Jordan could be the fourth qualifier for the Asian Zone.

South Korea isn't making a generational change? They lost every "hero" of 2002-campaign.. they've to start up from beginning.

Lebanon is struggling against UAE after beating South Korea: unbelievable.

20. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    You're right, but it wouldn't be easier to say this in the 1st place than using that emoticon face?

21. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    That's the same, it's tiring to read the whole package of overreaction with players thrown out forever and all the stuff that goes with it.
    It's a loss. Just gotta have to deal with it.

22. SugarDaddySean

Feb 12, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why bother playing it down as a 'useless game', it was obviously serious enough for Japan to play their A team, not holding any punches. But surely they didnt play as if it mattered.

And Kagawa, Nagatomo, Uchida, are fatigued and/or out of shape? Give me a break man...these are athetes, soccer is their life, that doesnt mean they dont feel the effects of fatigue but I think that statement is a poor excuse. If they werent in shape/fatigued maybe they shouldnt have played the game and let someone who is well rested get an opportunity, heck maybe they should have played the team they did against Iceland...or maybe we should just stop babying them and making excuses. They just layed an egg, it happens...but against a team like this, it should not.

I think more than the game was lost in North Korea, they had their 19(not sure about that number) game unbeaten streak snapped there and maybe even their confidence and aura. Before it seemed like a game like this against Uzbekistan they'd get that 1 goal they needed. But today they didn't and in soccer that makes all the difference, in games like this when you arent getting the lucky bounces and the other team is out working you, you have to take it up another gear...Japan right now doesnt seem to have that gear.

Everyone is bashing Uchida..deservedly so, but at the same time he's not the reason we lost this game. The team as a whole was BAD, Endo and Hasebe are slow and not athletis. I think they need to be replaced, it should happen by 2014 and if you dont agree your kidding yourself. At least Endo. But right now I think Hasebe is in bad form, he hardly plays in Germany(if ever) Hosogai to me is the better option right now. He's a guy who maybe in his best for, isnt as good as Hasebe's best form. But always give 100+% and lights fires under his teamates with his hard working play...

FYI, Kuwait is giving South Korea a run for their money right now. Still 0-0 but Kuwait has been knocking on the door.

23. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I don't agree about Endo, he's an amazing player, one like him was born every 10 years in Japan. Too fundamental.

I'm seeing Korea match and, yes, they're doing far worst than us.
    Kuwait isn't so bad.

24. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    Let me just ask, if they did score at least one goal, you guys would probably have a similar discussion like this yeah?

25. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    everybody out, *insert hyped players* in.