2011 Western Conference

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by SheffWedFan, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah the Flash looked really out of whack tonight. That and Gold were just faster and more intuitive. Whenever Flash passed near goal a Gold player always seemed to have anticipated their moves and was just zipping by grabbing the ball.

2. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hollywood beats Santa Ana 3-1. Santa Ana's GK was shown a red card for handling outside the box after 10 mins, and were on the rack from then on. First half: Bentil and Whitfield score for Hollywood, Greg Piechota for Santa Ana, 2-1 at half time. Nick Blanco makes it 3-1 five mins into second half.

Western Conference Final:
    Hollywood United Hitmen vs. Sacramento Gold
    Saturday, June 16th @ Crenshaw High School in Los Angeles
    Kickoff time TBC

3. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Congrats on the win! I was looking forward to coming to LA for the final, But Flash let us down. You should be able to beat Sacramento easily. They do get to the ball quickly and they have good speed on the right side.
    Good Luck!

4. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    Sacramento is also from California and is the current National champ.

5. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I'm friends with Hollywood.

6. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sacramento is from *Northern* California. You're like a whole other state up there. ;)

7. soccerdisciple

Mar 8, 2004
    Should Hollywood United or Sacramento win the National Championship, it will be the 3rd consecutive time California wins it. Sacramento won it last year and Sonoma County Sol won it the year before that.

8. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And the SD Fusion two years before that.

The title feels at home in CA. :D

9. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Maybe they should have the finals out here in Beautiful California, North or South!!!!

10. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They should just automatically give the national title to whoever wins the Western Conference, and save all those other non-CA teams (poor devils!) from suffering the humiliating defeats they are clearly going to suffer :p

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes you wonder if part of the reason the West Division is so good is because there's really no USL Pro or NASL presence in CA right now (the last minute addition of the LA Blues notwithstanding nor probably surviving beyond this year). Leaves teams that otherwise might consider going up a level from doing so as there are several very well run organizations in the NASL West several of them with aspirations to go higher but right now there really isn't any "higher" to go to outside MLS in the state.

12. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd say that's certainly possible. Just from watching NPSL this year there are clearly a couple of dozen players who could EASILY succeed at USL Pro level, if there was anything out there beyond LA Blues.

We've got at least five. Flash have Larry Emeanua, Ladule LoSarah, their goalkeeper Myers, Nelson Pizarro, and a couple of others who impressed me greatly. Taylor Canel and Greg Folk from Hasental. Carranza, Cabadas and Jeff Neuner from Sacramento. I think we'll continue to see growth at this level too, as more and more teams realize how competitive it is, both financially and skill-wise, with the PDL. I can almost see it growing into a de-facto "USL2 West" as time goes on.

13. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    CAMPEONES!

Hollywood beats Sacramento 1-0 to win the NPSL West playoff title and advance to the National Final Four.

Sacramento is reduced to nine men in the first half, first when Chris Sandoval stamps on Ema Bentil and is shown a straight red, and then when Utodi Madu gets a second yellow for dissent, having previously been carded for a foul.

Nick Blanco scored the games only goal in first half stoppage time, a 20-yard screamer into the top corner.

Sacramento bunker to a 6-1-1 formation and look to catch Hollywood on a break if they can. Sacramento's keeper Herrera stands on his head and makes six world class saves in the second half to keep Hollywood out; no-one manages to score any more, and it finishes 1-0.

14. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Well done, Good Luck! Bring home the trophy!!!!!

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow not the most impressive win but good luck to the western rep. Sac must've been playing hard though to hold off Hollywood despite being down two men through regulation.

16. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They defended like their lives depended on it, and their goalkeeper Max Herrera was ridiculous - with any other keeper in goal, we would have won it 6-0. He made one particular save off a shot from Albarran that was flying into the bottom corner, and he just extended everything and fingertipped it round the post.

Gotta represent California; looks like it'll be us, Milwaukee Bavarians, Georgia Revolution, and then whoever wins the Northeast (either Brooklyn, FC Sonic or Erie).

17. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL
    Actually, through a quirk in the tiebreaker rules, Jacksonville United go through in the Southeast region with 6 wins over GAs 5 wins.

18. CBSoccer

CBSoccer Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Rather than start a new thread on the Western Conference - I thought, snce it is still 2011...that I would ask my Q here...

What is happening with the Western Conference as far as expansion goes?
    I just found out that Humboldt County has been given a team for the Northern Division!
    Any other news?

19. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lancaster Rattlers have moved to Santa Clarita and are completely rebranding as FC Santa Clarita.

There was some murmerings that the Tijuana Xolos were going to buy out San Diego Boca and rebrand as a Xolos U23 team in San Diego, but that seems to have hit a snag and now I'm hearing that Boca are staying in the NPSL and the Xolos are starting a totally new PDL team.

There's supposed to be a new team in northern San Diego county, the Tiburones, but there hasn't been a formal announcement of that yet.

Beyond that, as far as I know, everyone else is coming back - Hollywood, Flash, Sacramento, Santa Ana, Hasental, and all the rest.

20. sandiegosoccerlover

sandiegosoccerlover New Member

Nov 7, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spoke with a dear friend that works with Xolos as a promoter and he was saying they were blown away on the difference in the amount that the PDL charges and what the NPSL charge so that kind of backed them out a bit. They don't want to use that much money when they are still a new team in the Mexican Premier League and need every penny for that.

As of SD Boca it seems to not make up their mind in the moment, i mean why would Boca continue after having such a horrible ending to their season, coaches quit, players talking really bad about the administration and how they got treated but we will see.

Tiburones of Oceanside seems to be set, they are officially in the NPSL West Conference for 2012. NPSL made an announcement a while back and i also read an article on the San Diego Union Tribune on them moving up. www.tufcsoccer.com

Really hope Xolos come in to join the NPSL. I will keep you updated.

21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, so they were blown away with how much it would cost to join the PDL as opposed to the NPSL? (I'm assuming NPSL is still the cheaper option as it was a few years ago). Hopefully they give the NPSL another look with or without the dysfunctional Boca participation (particularly given the local derby potential).

22. rattlerfan

rattlerfan New Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Lancaster Rattlers
    the latest rumors on new teams in the west :
    Rattlers F.C. now F.C. Santa Clarita -officially move is done. new site http://www.fcscprosoccer.com
    Tiburones of Oceanside approve and is in for 2012
    Eureka team is in in the North for 2012
    Vegas group waiting to be approved to enter the Southern Calif. Conference 2012
    Fullerton Rangers a expansion off of Santa Ana Winds waiting approval 2012
    Southern conference could look like this :
    Boca
    Flash
    Tiburones
    Fullerton Rangers
    Hollywood United
    Santa Ana Winds
    FCSC -Santa Clarita
    FC Hasental
    Vegas
    9 total team
    North
    adds eureka and maybe Oregon might return
    Sacrament Gold ??? ownership passed away last season no one knows whats happening with them,
    Rumors I have heard.

23. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oregon meaning Southern Oregon Fuego? That would be good to see. AFAIK, they still exist as a youth club.

24. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wonder if they might consider a three-division setup rather than just north and south:

SOUTH
    Fullerton Rangers
    San Diego Boca
    San Diego Flash
    Tiburones FC
    Tijuana Xolos U23

CENTRAL
    Hasental FC
    Hollywood United
    Las Vegas
    Santa Ana Winds
    Santa Clarita FC

NORTH
    Bay Area Ambassadors
    Eureka
    Real San Jose
    Sacramento Gold
    Sonoma County Sol
    Southern Oregon Fuego

Could be a pretty cool setup. Home and away vs the other teams in your division, plus four/six games against non-division opponents for a 14-game regular season. The three divisional champions qualify for the conference playoffs, plus the best second place team.

25. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Looks very interesting!