2011 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by GIO17, Jan 2, 2011.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kill the playoffs?

2. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way to make the fans more interested in USOC is for the teams to be more interested in USOC. Other than NYRB, it sounds like most of the teams last night put out line-ups that were primarily starters. In previous years the quarterfinals would have involved probably a 30/70 split or less. Flipping that percentage is a huge shift for MLS and if the teams continue to show more interest in the competition, then the fans will as well..

Another thing that the teams need to do is advertise. Obviously there is a pretty quick turnaround between the third round and the quarterfinals, but the home teams need to start doing more than just putting a link on their team website saying tickets are for sale.

One area the federation could help is to increase the prize money. It sounds like they are starting to get some significant bids to host the later rounds of the competition, perhaps if they funneled some of that money back into the competition via the prize money at the end, teams would take it more seriously as well. Right now I think the payout for winning USOC is $100k and second place either gets nothing, or $50k, I can't remember which. Bump that up and see what happens.

3. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP6tXAotFFQ"]YouTube - ‪Kings of the Cup: What Does It Mean To You?‬‏[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f7lrMsRSFg"]YouTube - ‪Kings of the Cup: Chicago Fire 4-0 NYRB, USOC QF 7/12/11‬‏[/ame]

4. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, it's difficult to imagine a more complex question on a soccer forum; let me collect my thoughts and maybe I'll take a stab at it tonight. I can say this right now: our tournament will never be as popular as the FA Cup for a host of reasons. There's plenty of room for improvement though.

5. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great question. First off, I definitely didn't mean to make excuses for maintaining the status quo, I was just giving what I see as the factual reasons for why the attendance is rather low compared to regular MLS matches.

So, to take a stab at responding to your question...

1. Us. You are right when you say it starts with us fans. We have to assign the tournament importance by attending the matches and talking about it in social media spaces and not just on bigsoccer.
    2. Teams. I think it starts more with individual teams than the federation or even the league as a whole. I say this because the federation does not have any kind of budget to advertise nationally.
    3. Message. Building on the previous point, everyone from the FO on down to the players has to believe the tournament is important and play it up in the media as much as possible. Seattle has clearly done this. I feel like FCD and RSL both were saying all the right things heading into last night's match. The way RBNY approached this tournament, on the other hand, was a fricking joke. Kind of like baseball's All-Star game, if the players/teams themselves don't care about the game, why should we?
    4. TV. This is where the league would have to come in, but adding it into any future tv deal to make sure all quarterfinal and up matches are televised would show a commitment to making the tournament accessible to more fans and again assigning it importance as being more than a midseason distraction.
    5. Reward. The CCL berth is great, but what about letting the winning team wear a sleeve patch or something the following season? Is a financial reward like the SuperLiga had out of the question?
    6. Timing. I know the league calendar is already pretty packed, but having the final on a day when there are no other league games (like the FA Cup usually is) would help focus attention on the one match. Not sure when that would be.
    7. Traditional media. Bug the crap out of ESPN, the regional FOX networks and local tv stations/radio/papers to give it more coverage. Much to my shock and awe, one of our local sports talk stations gave FCD a little love this morning for the win last night.
    8. Modern media. Click every damn link referring to the USOC that you can find. E-mail popular sports-related sites (beyond just espn) and ask them to give it some coverage.

6. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just noticed that Richmond now has four straight wins. Even that epic Roma run in '06 was only three games. Richmond are now only one short of matching the Rhino's run in '99. If the Kickers won it all, they would do the Rhinos one better.

It would take some hunting, but I'll bet that's a record that would be unmatched, and would stay unbeaten for some time.

I know. Getting ahead of myself. But I do believe Richmond is in pretty rarefied atmosphere already.

7. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Richmond in the final if for no other reason than to give a sort of wake-up call to the MLS teams who don't take this competition seriously.

It might not matter much to them, in the end, but I want the MLS teams to embrace the USOC the way the Sounders have. It might be the best way to expand the general interest in the Cup (i.e. get some serious sponsorship $$, legitimacy, etc.).

8. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know what would be even more awesome? Richmond in the CONCACAF Champions League.

9. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would drive 2.5 hours to watch some CCL in Richmond. I'm afraid it might be more than they can handle. ($$$$) But who knows? Stranger things have happened.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They won't (Should not) make it pass Chicago, shit we the FIRE have nothing else going for us this year, the US Cup is all we got, so we are going to throw everything we got for this game.

We will see. :)

11. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Chicago are also 4 wins into this run. Defeating Colorado, San Jose, Rochester, and New York. For the storyline, it's a good match up. Two motivated teams out to prove something.

12. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing VC is not including the play-in rounds in his streaks. Otherwise the Sounders 6 game run in 09 would have been mentioned.

13. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    in 95 the Kickers won 4 games.. actually 5 if you count the game that had to be replayed because of a protest. So we've tied OUR all time record (or not depend on how you count things)

14. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I wasn't. I was only counting the actual Cup games. However teams manage to qualify for the tournament is a separate issue, as far as I'm concerned. Which is why I don't consider Chicago as having four straight wins.

Maybe that's a little unfair, but that's the way I was looking at it when I wrote what I did.

15. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking a similar thing. But I saw somewhere that CONCACAF covers travel, so the only issue would be whether Richmond's stadium would be up to par for the tournament. And, honestly, with some of the stadiums that the games have been played in in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually would pass. And if it didn't, I'm sure they could find something relatively close by that would. At the absolute worst, RFK.

...Well, there would also be that one other issue of, if they got past the knockout games, all the group games would be played after their season ended. So, yeah, there's a $$$ issue there in paying the players. And keeping them fresh between rounds.

All that aside, I do think, at this point, the odds are against them. With both Chicago and Seattle taking the tournament very seriously, and Dallas taking it almost as seriously, they're at long odds at this point.

16. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    At Mikeyratt: Did you listen to the Quarterfinal review show last night or on archive at all? Leigh Cowlishaw was on the show.

17. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the stadium hosted a World Cup Qualifier in 1996, I imagine it would up to snuff....

1 person likes this.
  18. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF has announced possible finals locations.

Sounders win, they host either Richmond or Chicago.
    FC Dallas and Richmond win, the FCD hosts
    FC Dallas and Chicago win, Chicago hosts

http://t.co/n3n2Dfr

19. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, it's Seattle chasing the "first team to win three straight since the 60's", and Chicago looking to make it 'third team ever to win five'. Sorry, Fire fans, but as a Dallas supporter, I'd rather see Seattle win.

20. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rather slash my wrists than watch either of them win another trophy, but since Chicago already has more hardware than us, I guess I'm a Fire fan for this one.

21. Napoli_Ultra

Napoli_Ultra Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Lorton VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I would really like to see CenturyLink sold out for the cup final 67,000. I think would generate some buzz & more interest in the tournament.

22. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed that for ya.

23. Napoli_Ultra

Napoli_Ultra Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Lorton VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I would really like to see CenturyLink sold out for the cup final 67,000. I think would generate some buzz & more interest in the tournament.

24. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see that happening if the Sounders make it to the CCL final.

But not for USOC though

25. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2-0 seattle is final