2011 UCLA BRUINS "Official" Thread

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by *Oracle*, Aug 25, 2011.

1. should be working

Apr 9, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though Stanford has the edge in all these ways, they may be hindered in recruiting, ironically, by the intimidation factor of Stanford's academic reputation (whether still deserved or not I don't know). Many athletes who are academically average but have an actual desire to graduate may not feel they could cut it at Stanford.

Of course, UCLA used to be very high-powered academically also. With today's public education budget problems (and the attempted takeover of higher education by MBAs), who knows whether this is still the case, especially for athletes.

2. bisbee

bisbee Member

Sep 9, 2010
    I don't think the issue is being able to succeed academically. All top programs have phenomenal academic resources for their athletes. The issue may be getting a student athlete admitted at Stanford versus the softer admission standards at UCLA.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Plus there's the issue of cost, particularly for in-state students.

Since most men's soccer players are on partial (if that) scholarships, their parents (usually) make up the difference and that's a LOT less at UCLA than at Stanford.

4. Teletubby

Teletubby Member

Dec 10, 2004
    However, the financial aid packages at Stanford can be very juicy to both in-state and out of state students.
    The historical barriers at Stanford have been acceptance issues.

5. midfieldmadness

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Agree. Many of the student athletes at Stanford qualify for enough financial aid that their parents pay very little. In recent years they've upped the amount of grant aid (as opposed to loans) many middle-income students get. Money can become an issue for upper-middle income families with Stanford, but admissions is the biggest hurdle when compared to UCLA. Also, because of that, any student who gets into Stanford (including student athletes) has the aptitude necessary to graduate if they put their mind to it.

6. midfieldmadness

Aug 12, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I saw on the boards here that Ives is reporting that Chandler Hoffman signed a GA deal. I also read in an article that Kelyn Rowe is almost certainly leaving. With those two, along with B. Rowe, Arreola, Singh and Rose leaving, does anybody know who will fill all of those gaps and what the prospects for this team are next year? Do they have enough talent remaining/coming in to contend again or will it be a true rebuilding year?

7. TheClockworkOrange

Jun 20, 2008
    they have more than enough talent to continue playing at a high level! Just off the top of my head:Edwards/Chavez/Foxhoven/McKenna/Hukari/Reynr/Tusaazemajja are all capable of stepping in and contributing at an extremely high level. couple that in with some of the freshmen coming in, and I would expect things will remain on course at UCLA.

8. thetank123

thetank123 Member

Dec 28, 2009

Please tell me this is a sad joke. Absolutely pathetic if you are trying to say UCLA got robbed.

9. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Creighton and Louisville cleaned up on draft day with 4 players drafted last Thursday, but I believe UCLA had the most players taken overall out of any school with 2 in the superdraft and 4 today. Creighton and Louisville had zero players taken today. Of course, it remains to be seen how many UCLA players make it onto their club's rosters.

http://www.uclabruins.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/011712aac.html

#3 - Kelyn Rowe - NE
    #13 - Chandler Hoffman - PHI
    #44 - Andy Rose - RSL
    #54 - Shawn Singh - SKC
    #56 - Eder Arreola - HOU
    #62 - Brian Rowe - CHV

10. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had not heard this but it sounds like we could have sent 7 players to MLS this year:

11. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL trying to translate some Finnish soccer forums and articles to see what the deal is with B.Rowe... not having much success, google translate does not like Finnish very much lol. Trying to see if he will sign there or with Chivas USA. MLS > Finland but I would assume B.Rowe would be in line for more playing time in Finland, so that may be a better place for him to start and try to get experience and work his way up. When you go to Europe you just don't want to be like Cervi collecting a paycheck from a big club to stagnate on the bench.

http://www.vepsu.fi/tmp_vps_actual_0.asp?sua=1&lang=1&s=1522&q=y

http://futisforum2.org/index.php?topic=130439.500