2011 SuperDraft

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mler1019, Jan 13, 2011.

1. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe new provisions in the Collective Bargaining Agreement make it more expensive and risky to some teams to bring in lower-level draft picks.
    Or not, if that was the case, more teams might have passed. I do remember Kasper whining about stuff like that in one of the pre-draft interviews.

2. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    One cannot fairly judge the rebuilding process at this time, so to answer your question I honestly do not know at this point.

But I was commenting more on the various things that went wrong the last years, so drafting one more body would not have hurt. Sure, that particular player most likely would not have made the roster, but there are other considerations in drafting another player such as public relations, political goodwill, etc. And of course, the chance that that particular player may actually turn out to make the roster and be a starter for years to come (as unlikely as it may seem to all of us).

3. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Too early to judge until about game 5 of the season.

I still dont see us scoring many goals this season.

4. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But JSF didn't think much of the #1 pick (Boxall), and less of our first pick, #21 (Brettschneider), so I don't understand why he and others are so upset that we passed on #39.

5. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Your logic seems faulty.

Just because I didn't like #1 or#21, doesn't mean that I wouldn't like #39. I'm upset, because we could essentially tie a player to us (in MLS). Why not take that opportunity?

6. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Do we have to play these players a salary outside of a stipen? If so, why should we attach ourselves with a player who wont make it, and it taking up money?

7. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    So what is our roster at now 24 people?

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reading back one page isn't an option? :)

9. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Read your post, but I assumed that you were not sure/definite. But thanks.

10. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'm sure of is that every year, pretty much all the teams draft players that they release by the roster deadline.

11. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I will tell you that a buddy of mine knows Blake and his freshman year and over his Christmas break, he played on one of our 7 v 7 teams for a dude who was away on holiday and scored 8 goals!!!!

What? We need a striker right :) Nice kid - hope it works out for him

12. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why are they bringing them into camp?

The circle continues. I just don't see the harm in drafting a guy unless they have no plans to look at undrafted players.

13. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Who?

I don't know who they're bringing in and who they're not. I don't really care, to be honest. All I care about is that they bring in people they think can help the team, not the people that spectators think can help the team.

At the end of the year saying "But the Bigsoccer people said we should play this guy!" just isn't a very good excuse.

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heresy!

15. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like from the quotes that they'd at least talked to SC's coach about this guy either because he was an acquaintance, or because somebody on the technical team saw the kid in a game and was impressed enough to investigate. Attitude seems to be a litmus test for Benny - and that's something you only really learn about from someone else in the locker room.

They have limited resources. They could spend those resources vetting all the players in the _supplimental_ draft that might pan out. That would be thorough, but if you're going to get a good picture of a guy's attitude, there's a lot of trust building to be done, which takes time. Or they can make a short list of promising players that they have an inside line on and look at just those players. I don't know what that line was for Blake, but I bet there was one.

Ya, they could have taken a flier, and maybe they get lucky, or maybe they waste days of someone's time figuring out they didn't, and they've just jerked the kid around.

Statistically, I have to think hours spent globetrotting to find an impactful forward are probably going to be better spent than a thorough look at the supplimental draftees. Might even indicate their focus needed to be elsewhere than the draft this week... I'll give them a pass on the pass. :D

16. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yea because our recent globetrotting trips have been so productive.

17. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that if they are bringing undrafted players into camp, it's weird that they didn't draft one of them if for nothing else than to show the player they are interested. You said maybe all the hypothetical people they are bringing into trial may suck.

If they suck, why even bring them in? I'm not saying I know better than them who to bring in. Well, not in this instance. ;) I just think if you're bringing someone in and drafting them is nothing more than a public relations maneuver (which unless things have changed drastically in the CBA is all it is for players who have not signed with MLS), what's the harm in drafting one of them since he's coming in to trial anyway?

18. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Actually i was referring to the people remaining in the draft when they passed. I was speculating that they passed because they didn't think that any of them would pan out.

19. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Agreed.

I find it highly unlikely that in two or three years time, someone will bring up the point that "United had a chance to draft Nick Love (forward drafted #50 by RSL) and now look at him, he's leading CONCACAF in WC qualifying goal scoring"

These guys blow, that's why United punted out of this draft..

20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the 80-billionth-time, that's a complete red herring argument.

21. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Goff is looking for an assignment in soccer down time he could usefully investigate how DCU keeps tabs on prospective players in advance of the draft. Does the team have a scouting staff? An informal (meaning, unpaid) scouting staff? The FO and the coaches can only do so much, given that they have many other things on their mind. Chad, apparently, was tracking Brettschnieder, but was that just because he periodically checked in with coaches of major soccer universities and came across this guy, or because he was tipped off some years back about a hotshot kid from Georgia? (I think that's basically how Chad found Jacovic at UAB). We know the staff is close to Rongen, who can advise them on kids who pass through the national youth teams, but who else do they use? Former Georgetown coach and occasional soccer telecaster Keith Tabatznik? Joe Soccer Fan (who probably has seen more minutes from more players than just about anyone)?

It would be a good read.

22. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Not sure he's making any argument at all. He's speculating, as I did, that the fact that they passed on a draft pick simply means that they didn't think the remaining players were worth the effort. Compared to what is the question.

23. pr0ner

pr0ner Member+

Jan 13, 2007
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone who analyzed DC United's current roster and came up with his ideal starting back line of Corb---Brasesco--James---Zeynar should not be the one casting stones at United's scouting.

24. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    it was a hypothetical lineup, would I deploy it hell no.

25. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In DCUroma's defense, it's a fair cop. That still doesn't mean their time's better spent vetting 6th round draftees. :)

Hedbal - thanks for the additional info, and I'd definitely read that piece.