2011 SuperDraft

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by mler1019, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Two of JSF's more intriguing big reward/low risk guys are still available as free agents. Perhaps DCU will look at them.

2. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm almost 100% percent sure he was a Superdraft pick and not a Supplemental Draft pick.

3. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Josh Gros was 34th pick in the superdraft

4. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was a fourth round pick in the Superdraft. There were less teams in the league back then, of course. These days, the Superdraft is only three rounds, right? I'm figuring that in today's MLS, he would have gone low enough to be a part of the Supplemental Draft. I really don't even think that MLS had a Supplemental Draft in 2004 or 2005.

5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may be right. Back then there weren't enough players who were supple or mental.

6. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I don't know. Maybe they really suck.

7. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you draft a guy, wouldn't you have to offer him a contract? On the other hand, if you bring a guy into camp as a free agent, you don't have to pay him anything. Right? So, why spend money on a guy that you're almost certain to cut? Does that make any sense?

8. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was no Supplemental Draft in 2004; the 2004 Superdraft was six rounds long.

Josh Gros went in the fourth round, corresponding to the first round of this year's Supplemental.

EDIT: we also picked Devon McTavish in the fourth round of the 2006 Supplemental Draft -- essentially, the *eighth* round of the Draft.

9. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have to be both to get into this draft.

Perhaps Josh Wicks could find his way back into the MLS?

10. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    I guess what bothers me is that they will PASS on drafting a kid and using the next 6 weeks to see what he's worth. However, throughout the regular season they'll invite player after player in for training with the team and potentially signing him. The cost is exactly the same, so that cannot be the excuse. I would argue that there were many college players over the last couple of season that were better selections than either Khumalo or Shipalane.

If the FO is so good at recognizing the line of talent to not use that draft pick, then why do they waste so much time and effort on inviting players in during the year? Wouldn't they be able to see the lack of ability of that player too?

To me, it looks like the team is lazy in its scouting. I've got to believe that there is a senior somewhere that you want to take another look at in pre-season.

That's probably an unfair generalization. And if that's the case, then the team should come out with an explanation as to why it doesn't use the resources it is given when the team clearly sucked the big one last year.

11. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    Yeah, you could argue that. I don't know enough to. Given my lack of information, I'd probably side w/ professional coaches evaluating talent (no disrespect to you.)

Yeah, I'm guessing it's a bit unfair. As fans we are not in possession of all the facts, and our no-brainer decisions might be a little less obvious if we were. They've done a lot to rebuild the team this offseason. Let them finish before throwing around these charges.

As an aside, I'm guessing they're not about to justify every last decision to you.

12. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Or, since Gros was the 34th pick in the draft, you could look at is as: Josh Gros would've gone in the 2nd round of this year's superdraft, since that's when the 34th pick occurred. McTavish was taken 43rd overall, and the 43rd pick occurred in the third round of this year's draft. That may not be the right way to look at things...I'm just saying...

13. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get it. Our resident super scout, JSF, crapped over the #1 pick in the Supplemental Draft (Boxall), then reallycrapped over our pick (Brettschneider). So why should we (or Joe) complain when we passed on an even later pick?

14. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Tom? Really? Boxall was picked #1 in the supp, so we had no shot of getting him. He is slow. So, if the FO choose a horrible pick with the #21, we shouldn't complain. Perhaps, your lucidity medicine hasn't kicked in.

If your point is that we would complain if they make another lame-ass selection, ok. But to not even make a selection (essentially-tie a player to your team), is senseless - even after 2 90 minute Dogfish pints, I'm spitting fire.

15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or it may be -- it's a good point, IMHO, at least as far as considering Josh Gros is concerned.

Devon McTavish went in the last round of the 2006 Supplemental -- the eighth round of drafting overall.

But really, I think talk about the chance of somehow striking gold in the Supplemental misses the point. Yes, it happens. Yes, it's very very unlikely. But both facts are irrelevant, IMHO.

16. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so; or if they do, it's not a contract with any guarantees. Every year, everybody drafts players that they then dump just before the date at which rosters must be finalized.

17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still looking for a lucidity medicine that works. Obviously, no luck so far. And basically I agree that taking a chance with that 50th pick does no harm and might do some good. But my question now is, do you have any "sleepers" who weren't drafted but are worth being called in to camp? Or do you think we should be done with college players and are concentrating on other avenues?

18. Black.White&Red

Sep 9, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    This has been the case the last few years...

19. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    So you don't think this year's rebuilding is an improvement over last year's?

20. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    I'd rather we chose somebody named SHOOT

21. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am encouraged, but still wonder why they passed, unless everyone left on the board was shite, in their opinion.

22. MattMathai

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    You've just stated the most obvious of possible reasons.

Edit: to clarify, yes, that's what I thought of too. There might be other reasons we just don't know about, but I don't see why we should automatically assume that the most obvious reason isn't the correct one.

23. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One possibility is that most of the decent remaining players would occupy a foreign slot(King, Malujani, Gundhus, McInnes, Pila, and Ushedo all would count as foreigners) and that the FO has a few(2-3) foreign guys they're looking at as possible trialists. I came across as a little bit crass earlier and I apologize, but I don't see the reason to get worked up over one late round Supplemental pick(not referring to you). Most of the value that would have been available then are still available now so its quite possible DCU takes the Barry Rice route and brings some of these guys in as free agents.

24. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    or SCORE

25. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible they know they have leads or talks with a few players already going, and they judged that between the players they are bringining in and the players already on the roster, the late pick wouldn't have had any real chance to make the roster, thereby saving him the effort of showing up and getting run off the field?

Possible? :D