2011 Roster...

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Mister Obvious, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has done alot of traveling over the years Walsh, He isnt that young (31) and according to the article, he signed a two year deal with Wellington Phoenix in Jan of 2009. I guess that wasnt renewed.

I wonder if he has any connection to Terry Phelan who coaches in NZ now.

also the Battery posted they will be announcing three players this afternoon.

Im not expecting any surprises, I guess Dykstra, Wiltse and Mack.

3. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. I would love to see him back in Charleston as it'll be easier for me to follow his career. But if he's homesick, I understand. Though I don't see how being in Angola is that much closer than being in the United States.

5. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought it was a done deal awhile ago but I guess they were still working out the details. Until now

8. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he would not have played, if he wasn't under contract

9. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know its early, but what do you guys think of Andrew Dykstra so far?

He was with the Fire for a couple of years and in actuality is not a bad keeper, it just seemed like he could never hold on to the ball.

It became a joke here in Chicago with Fire fans calling him butterfingers.

And once Sean Johnson hit the field and came up big from the minute he got between the posts, I don't think Dykstra saw the field again in a regular game. It didn't surprise me that he was released.

I hope he does well with the Battery.

13. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    his distribution needs some work, but haven't noticed any butter yet.

14. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Dykstra made some good saves during the CCC....particularly in the Fire match (?), some poiint blank reactions saves from close range.

It's always a 2 edge sword when we get an ex-MLS player..on 1 hand, they gotta have some talent for someone at that level to recognize them, on the other hand, if they drop down to us, the fans usually come tell us "he sucks". I think players like that probably didn't get much PT in MLS and getting regular games in a lower league can do wonders to improve their game and their confidence.

15. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay here is our "officiallly signed" list as of now
    goalkeepers
    • Andrew Dykstra
    • Keith Wiggins
    Defenders
    • Johnny Wilson
    • Nigel Marples
    • Mike Zaher
    • Colin Falvey
    • Graham Dugoni
    Midfield
    • Stephen Armstrong
    • Kevin Jackson
    • Nicki Paterson
    • Cole Peverley
    • Alex Caskey
    • Evan Taylor
    • Zack Prince
    • Jon Gruenewald
    forwards
    • Dane Kelly
    • Levi Coleman
    • Seedy Bah
    • Brandon Massie

still on the fringe or training with the Battery as far as I know.
    Defenders
    • Sean Flatley
    • Mark Wiltse
    • Sean Bateau
    Midfield
    • Deigo Walsh
    • Nico Rittmeyer
    forward
    • Kareem Yearwood

there was a third goalkeeper as well but I dont have his name, young looking kid though. I also left off Alioune Gueye but I think Taylor will fit into his roale nicely

16. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My intention was not say he sucks. In fact I don't think he sucked. He started the whole first half of the year for the Fire last season.
    What IMO happened was he did have some trouble holding on to the ball and had problem in communicating with the defense and the defense started losing confidence in him which resulted in miscues, etc., which resulted in "silly" goals.
    Also Sean Johnson was breathing down his neck for playing time and once Johnson got in he made the most of it and Dykstra became a forgotten man at the end of the bench.

I'm not one of those that thinks a player sucks when he goes from MLS to the Battery or any other USL team. If you guys remember when Lazo used to play for you guys I would make a trip or 2 each summer to watch the Battery. Lazo IMO, was still MLS calaber player when you guys played DCU in the Open Cup Championship. But once a player loses confidence and the negative word gets out on him among MLS teams around the league, it's hard to get back in.

I plan on being down there in mid/end of June for a game.

17. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think alot of players suffer a big blow to their confidence when they go to MLS. they typically are the big dogs at their respective school or college and when they do get to MLS, they tend to get "schooled" That can destroy the confidence of a young guy. Depending on their ego, they might rebound faster than some. I feel that some (most) players would benifit from plying their trade in the lower leagues for a year or two. It worked wonders for Lamar Neagle and Tommy Heinemann.

And a club like Charleston is a good spot, its a very professional enviroment with experienced players and a good coach and most players will 'grow' and a guy like Dykstra will regain his confidence playing here.

mikey

18. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah MRAD, I know where you're coming from, I wasn't directing my reply to you, I know you hang around our forum and have even visited us...sorry if you took it that way. I was just making a general comment about ex-MLsers that trickle down to us.

On the opposite side, a few USLers have made their way to MLs and I shake my head at how they got there. Alan Gordon for 1....never thought he was much in our league....a slow, overweight forward. And to some degree, Mac Kandji....fast for sure, but a horrible first touch. To be fair, his touch got better once he got to MLS but still thinking he was pretty fortunante to get picked up in the first place. There are lots of fast players in the lower leagues......

19. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just saw the boys and Auggie run by in the bridge run.

20. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    saw on twitter where he was due to arrive last night. You think Auggie made him run the Bridge Run this morning?

the Boys are supposed to be downtown at King Street Grill after the run BTW

22. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he got in at 11:30 Friday night and showed up ready to run at 7 on his on accord:eek:. he finished 2nd behind Alex Caskey, so he's in shape.

23. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats awesome. Caskey had a good time too I heard.

Guess we'll see him tomorrow!

24. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caskey was in the mid 30s

25. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The College of Charleston men's soccer team has sent two more players to the next level to play professional soccer as Justin Fojo and Sean Flatley have signed contracts with Orlando City FC and the Charleston Battery, respectively.

Seniors in CofC's 2010 season, Fojo (Port of Spain, Trinidad) and Flatley (Virginia Beach, Va.) join a wealth of CofC alumni playing professional soccer.

"We are so proud to have two of our seniors sign professional contracts with top level clubs in the USL Division," said CofC head coach Ralph Lundy. "It is extremely difficult to earn a pro contract and for two of our players to accomplish this speaks volumes about what our program is doing."

Fojo recently inked his contract and will be making his professional debut with the Orlando City Soccer Club of the United Soccer Leagues. Flatley will play his rookie season with the Charleston Battery, also of the USL.