2011 Offseason Thread: Liguilla Edition

Discussion in 'Chivas' started by Various Styles, May 5, 2011.

1. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Marco Fabian has really surprised me. I remember when Chivas first got rid of Bautista and it was up to Fabian and Avila to claim the playmaker role but neither was up for it. Well, it has been a few seasons since and Fabian has really stepped it up.

Other than that, while the team has not achieved anything, I am glad to see the team playing good. This after a dubious start of the season where many of us questioned the coach. Regardless of how far Chivas gets in this tourney we must still strive to improve the team and bringing in three more players can turn Chivas from a competitor to favourites.

Most of us seem to have become content with the 10 year between championships waiting period and that should not be the case. It's time to start adding silverware to the club's coffers and not just wait and see which Canterano will be the next best thing.

Thus, watching this squad I became convinced that with a few key signings Chivas will have a good enough squad to win a Concacaf Champions Cup (Our club has not won an international tourney in over 50 years) and a Liguilla to go with it. So, I wonder if in the summer we can get the likes of Salcido, De Nigris, and Pacheco?

2. El_LatinLover

El_LatinLover BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Re: Liguilla del Clausura '11: Chivas vs Tigres (Cuartos de Final)

Remember the argument we had 2 years ago? Well, now all those young people are now experienced. Now we have a base(our own cantera players) of players that easily can play at a high level --especially the intensity their dynamic brings-- for a long time.

3. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

De Nigris seems like a long shot, but you never know. he's got his sights set on Europe and Monterrey confirmed that there is interest from a few Spanish clubs. it all really depends how he does with the NT this summer, but i would rule him out. in his place though, i'd bring in someone like Carreno or Chuleta. and lets not forget that Hulk Salazar's loan with Jaguares ends in June so he could be coming back as well.

Salcido and Pacheco seem more likely to happen and hopefully it does. we all know how our left side tends to be the weakest and having both of those guys will give us the boost and depth we need.

4. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Experience should not come at the cost of a Copa Libertadores!! There is nothing wrong with having a cantera, giving those players a fair chance to break into the first team, but the club should not DEPEND on these players to produce results right away or throw away a tourney with the excuse of gaining experience to win a tourney down the line..

In any case many of the players that are the base of the current team have been with the squad for years; Aurajo, Esparza, Michel, Medina, Fabian, Magallon, Baez, Mejia, and Reynoso. When Chivas was competing in Copa Libertadores this squad could of used 2-3 quality players, hold on to some of their "petardos", and we would of had a very good chance of becoming the first Mexican club to lift that prestigious trophy!

It is more of the same now.. Chivas has a good squad; some of the players have stepped it up but we can't fall into the same mistake and expect Cubo to be the next Chicharo and so-so canterano to shine. As it is Chivas is dependant on 2-3 players that given injuries, expulsion, or a drop in form could really affect the club..

So we are in a situation where the club can reach the final but get there with a diminished squad. All it would take would be 2-3 injuries and or expulsions. At the moment; take out Fabian and the team's attack is cut in half. Just how much importance is being placed in the upstart Cubo speaks volums on how poor Chivas attack can be..

5. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

We should have taken Kikin when we had the chance.. :D

Hulk never convinced me.. Although, I havent seen his current form to make a valid opinion. Same goes for Carreno and or Chuleta. IMO, Chivas could really use a center striker.. A player that is around 183m and not the standard midgit striker that seems to be the mold at Chivas.

I understand Chivas has a tall striker in Michel Vasquez but the lad is still green. So, I say we bring in a proven player or one that is on a hot streak. Since, provided Chivas does well we could be competing in an international tourney next season; someone correct me if I am wrong.

Agreed.. I have been keeping up with the CONCACRAP Cup and Chivas needs to start winning international titles again. It's been too damn long. And this is a good tourney to get started with..

6. El_LatinLover

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

NOt come at a cost of a copa libertadores? are you high? Is that from the holy scriptures or where does that logic come in? Y luego quieres a denigris; pare que le quites minutos al cubo? :rolleyes:

Dude, we already went through the growing pains and now we are in competition for a trophy y tu quieres meter a denigris y quitar al cubo:rolleyes:.

Oh, and by the way, they took chicharo or else we would be holding that trophy. We didnt, so get over it. We have a great team with a bunch of young starters you didnt want, so deal with it.

YOur last paragraph is laughable. Havent you noticed we were missing magallon and rey and we had dudes take their spot without a drop off? Cubo was subbed and we scored twice. Fabian was in the bench not too long ago and we were still playing well. U are completely insane dude, Full of holes my friend.

7. Nightmare310

Nightmare310 Member+

Dec 6, 2007
    The Streets

Ellatinlover i like your optimism but you just dont get it. So let me just keep it simple for you. This team is very talented but we need depth in case some of our players get injured or suspended. Adding 2 or 3 players will make us the team to beat instead od the darkhorse of the liguilla.

8. El Jalisciense

El Jalisciense Member+

Feb 7, 2009
    Dalton, Georgia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Exactly. Also a couple of players more would make some of the spots more competitive and propel the players to work harder for their spots. Imagine if Cubo were to get hurt (god forbid) or we had 2 tournaments to worry about who is going to be our back up number 9? Michel Vazquez? I don't think so, he still needs time to grow and in important games we need players that are proven. With 2 or 3 refuerzos we will only become a greater team.

1 person likes this.
  9. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC

Lot of stuff going on here, but let me riff off of some of VS's posts.

1-Fabian was turning 18 the summer Bofo got the boot. Crazy to give him the responsibility of carrying this team. Avila worked well as a replacement, but only once they switched to a doble enganche (him and Moncho). Of course, bringing Moncho over to that position is what lead to our initial need for a new LW/LB. But Fabian now, awesome!! Looks like trips to Colombia work after all.;)

2-Not withstanding youth titles over the last decade, it's frustrating to see Guadalajara's lack of international titles. I don't know if you guys know this or not, but Chivas was runnerup for two Concacaf titles because of organizational issues. In 1963 the Haitian team couldn't get passports, the final was postponed, then Chivas got the title, then they rescheduled it, then Chivas lost because they were touring Europe during the reschedule. Then in 1984 Guadalajara and a NY team couldn't agree on match dates, so both lost and another Haitian team was declared winner. So I am fully supportive of the VS Plan to Win International Silverware (VSPWIS??). But first let's qualify.:D

3-It'd be nice to sign some players with international tournament experience. Of course, many of those are already on Chivas from our past Libertadores runs! However, the key thing to remember here is that Olympic qualifiers are in March 2012. Think about the players we'll probably lose. This year, the CCL quarters and semis ran from late Feb to early April. That's my biggest reason for adding depth. And I'd rather do it over the summer so they get used to the team.

4-We have depth at CB, DM, and OM (or RM/LM). I think our weaknesses are LB (have Ponce or Magallon, would be nice to add Salcido), striker (it'd be nice to add De Nigris fo), and a backup for Esparza at RB, though I guess Magallon could do that in a pinch. So I think I'd "settle" for signing Salcido and de Nigris, as long as we don't lose anyone.

Anyways, back to the game and liguilla, last weekend's Monterrey game was the only time we had a team score more than 1 goal against us, so going in to the return match with a 2 goal lead is nice. What also would have been nice would be to have capitalized on a fast break or two last night. For Saturday's game, I'd sub out Medina and bring in Gallardo/Enriquez, moving Baez up. Let's see what Tuca's team can do when they have to score at least 2 goals without receiving 1.

10. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Pato was a beast last nite

the dude was all over the place and managed to hold off Lobos and Alvarez very well

11. chiva_freak

chiva_freak Member

May 13, 2010
    Santa Ana, Califas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Yeah Pato really put in work last nite. he was all over the place and i think was one of the factors for holding Tigres to one goal but overall good team effort from Michel to up top

12. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Im at work so I am going to post this quickly and to the point. All big clubs have enough depth to put out to competitive teams. Are we not a big club? shouldnt we be competing internationally year in and out? Shouldnt we be winning silverware?

we shouldnt worry about taking away minutes from so and so if we could split them up in a fashionable manner. I believe that with more depth we would achieve more. Our team is good but lets not kid ourselfs, we are Chivas, we should expect better and pressure the team for more. More titles, more players.

13. xGZx

xGZx New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Am I the only one who doesn't want De Nigris or chuleta with chivas.

14. El Burro

El Burro Member

Jan 25, 2009
    San Pancho, Califas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Nope, you're not alone.

15. El Cinquillo

El Cinquillo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 5, 2010
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Exactly.. I've been trying to drill this in to my friends heads. We can't be content with a good run.. they need to go all the way.

16. Phenom

Phenom Member+

Apr 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

This my friends is why this man is our mod. Spot on about everything.

I agree with point 4 so much. Salcido or De Nigris would be absolutely ideal. I don't think De Nigris will happen, though. I would settle for Chuleta, but definitely not Carreno. Carreno is not any better than Michel Vasquez.

What about Maza?

17. xGZx

xGZx New Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Given the opportunity Vasquez can perform better then Carreño and Chuleta. His performances in the libertadores were only a glimpse of what he can really do besides chuleta apart from scoring on lower tier concacaf teams hasn't really done anything in the local league. Carreño would be imo a better choice compared to De Nigris an Chuleta but I'm still not convinced.

18. Ronrris

Ronrris Member+

Feb 13, 2008
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

In all honesty I don't think we'll go for more than 2. We might get one if lucky ^^'
    DeNigris is out of the picture now, I am pretty sure.

El Guero doesn't ask for much.
    I was also thinking maybe we might search for a left back, but Real already brought Escalante and has Magallon/Ponce there already I don't think he'll ask for another. I know people want another center striker, Carreno would be nice.

I think we do need one or two, but knowing Vergara....:rolleyes:

I really want to get Elias before someone else. Venado is gettting old and we need some more depth. He can score and carry the team.

19. El_LatinLover

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

You guys keep saying we need depth, and yet we have had back ups step right in. You guys want to buy denigris for depth? Pay millions of dollars for him to sit on the bench? We have depth guys. Sure i wouldnt mind another centro delantero, but not a tronco like denigris. Denigris would kill chivas greatest weapon -- the dynamic speed.

We just lost 2 of our leaders on defense and the back ups stepped right in without a drop off; and im the one that doesnt get it.:rolleyes:

20. El_LatinLover

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Chuleta i wouldnt mind so much but Denigris,? Why? Carreno i would love. But no, you are not alone. No players that kill the dynamic speed we should touch. That speed is what is going to give us the championship.

21. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

We do need depth

if we want to compete in different competitions

libertadores/concacaf

when the national team comes knocking around

we are going to need all the help we need

what is so damn hard to understand

more depth=stronger team

22. Nightmare310

Nightmare310 Member+

Dec 6, 2007
    The Streets

Carreno is not even the best young foward in Monterrey. I'll take Pulido over him.

23. El_LatinLover

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Yes, but we are not in libertadores and concacaf yet. First lets win a championship then worry about getting refuerzos. National team? We havo 0 players in the main national team, maybe 2 players. Im not against more depth, what im against is the people saying we need depth, so lets go get denigris. That doesnt make sense. If we go to another tourney, sure get a delantero that complements our style of play, but we have plenty of depth in the mid, delantera and defense. THe only position we have no depth at is centro delantero.

Depth per position line:
    Defense we have ponce, alvarez, perez, mejia(plays defense too like pato).
    Media Escalante, Enriquez, gallardo, mejia.
    Delantera mora, davila, sanchez, bofo, vasquez.

Thats some quality depth especially when you think what davila will turn into after mundial sub 20 along with enriquez and alvarez. This team we have today (without refuersoz) would of won the libertadores no prob.

24. El_LatinLover

Nov 27, 2007
    The Poorside
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara

Right, like tirgres would love to give chivas pulido. Carreno is getable because monterrey doesnt value carreno as a starter, but pulido is a yound up and coming that trigres will not let go, especially to chivas.

25. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC

Thanks. The check is in the mail.
    Bring in a veteran backup, and loan Vasquez out to Queretaro or Jaguares for the Apertura. If he gets playing time and shows good stuff, then he's more reliable for the big run in the Spring. Speaking of Queretaro, can Nava play any defense? If so, convert him to LB.
    He was all over the place last night.
    By back ups stepping right in, do you mean Ponce? Our CBs are fine.

Also, if we wait until the winter to pick someone up, teams are surely going to notice our need and jack up the price.

Why De Nigris? Because the idea is to provide different options. Carreño sounds awesome, but I'm looking for a tall, physical, veteran with experience, someone hardworking who can serve as a role model, provide a presence if the game gets slowed down, etc. Otherwise might as well use Vasquez. You never know when you'll need someone of his characteristics, but it surely would be nice to reach over to the bench instead of wishing you had signed him.

Hell, if I didn't want to erase that unmentionable season from my memory, I'd consider the Borg again to play that role. It's got to be more enjoyable than sitting with Hector Huerta on a panel.