2011 Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by gogogo, Feb 3, 2011.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So ND has lost 3 games to ranked opponents (and Duke wasn't even ranked in the top 20 at the time) and tied Santa Clara. Not the start they wanted. They need to get their act together. If they don't, I don't see how they will be a high ranked seed come tournament time.

If anyone saw the Stanford game, how did they get scored on?

2. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    Against SCU I thought the Notre Dame midfield played very well. They did a great job holding possession and attacking in numbers - they regularly got 5-6 players into the final third when bringing up the ball. I think the front line let the Irish down in this game by being too direct and impatient. SCU has a very disciplined defense and Notre Dame attackers seemed to want to beat them on the dribble all day long. When that stopped working they started shooting from 30+ yards out - that's not going to beat a keeper of Henninger's caliber.

Defensively I thought the team did a good job, but SCU wasn't throwing too many players forward. The Broncos were being very conservative (this is a very young SCU team) but as the game wore on SCU players got more confidence and starting pressuring the Irish backline more. The SCU goal was great (a tough cross, a great header finish) and nobody is to blame on the ND side.

The Irish did look to tire quite a bit. Santa Clara had the run of play for the final 25 minutes and both overtime periods. The first half was even. For the first 20 minutes of the second half Notre Dame was dominating and winning corner kicks and getting great looks at goal but never came away with anything. I think that (and playing Stanford on Friday) gassed them.

3. CardtheBird

CardtheBird New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Overall I thought ND had the better of it. Definitely the faster team.

ND's main problem was the time difference. The game ended 1 a.m. South Bend time. Players finally fell asleep and Stanford scored twice. (As long as Stanford waited to call the lightning suspension I suspect they finally did when they realised how late the game would end. Stanford have a history of scheduling top eastern teams (in all sports) late to take advantage of their circadian rhythms.)

Generally I don't give too much weight to the final result in early season games between top teams. The games mainly give the coaches a chance to evaluate their players against other top players.

Not that ND fans shouldn't be concerned. Team seems to fade late (and not just when it is 1 a.m.) and should have been able to score more on Santa Clara. ND's score in that game was more the Santa Clara defenders getting fouled up than a great play by ND.

You can see the scoring plays from the ND-Stanford game on the Stanford Women's Soccer Facebook Page.

4. SCUFANTASTIC

SCUFANTASTIC Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Club:
    FC Gold Pride
    You guys have no idea how unusual a mid-September lightning storm is in Northern California. I have been following soccer here for many years and have never, at any time of year, seen or heard of a game halted for lightning. I'm sure it has happened, but in September??? Never.

5. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    So my Bay Area friends say - It's supposed to be Notre Dame that shakes down the thunder, anyway.

6. Udontnodarules

Sep 13, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Louisville 1-0 over ND. That's a real shocker. How did that happen?

7. bmoline

bmoline Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Champaign
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow...that is a shocker. Would like to hear from someone at that match for sure.

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was nowhere close to near the game, but as soon as I saw the score, I took a quick look at the stats to see if it was "one of those games." From the stats, it doesn't look that way. It looks like Notre Dame had the better of the possession, with about twice as many shots, but the shots on goal were even, 6 each if my memory is right.

Someone who was there, can you enlighten us?

9. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    I had hopes of going to the Louisville game and my plans fell through - would have liked to see what went wrong for the Irish. Maddeningly, the Irish video highlights didn't show the Louisville goal.

The team did regroup later in the weekend with a 4-1 win at Cinncinnati. A national championship repeat looks more and more unlikely, although Randy has shown a certain knack for late-season motivation....

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    IMO, from reading pre-season posts and comments, Randy and ND were too focused on repeating as National Champions rather then winning game by game.

In all the years I have followed college soccer, I have never heard or read about Anson Dorrance, his coaches or UNC players talk about repeating. They just take it game by game and win.

This is not a knock at ND. I'm a UND fan. But I wasn't all that enamoured with the back-to-back repeat talk before the season even started.

Just go out there and play to win each game. When you get to the Final of the College Cup then talk about repeating as National Champions.

11. striker210107

striker210107 New Member

Jul 4, 2011
    old proverb: arrogance goes before the fall

12. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    You bet and repped.

13. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't disagree with the point of your post, come on, are you saying it isn't the goal of North Carolina, every year, to win the national championship? Of course if is. In fact, I'll suggest that the reason for trying a different formation in the TAMU game (and possibly losing as a result) was to increase the team's likelihood of winning the national championship this year. So, it's not "just take it game by game and win," but instead, it's "do what you have to do now to be better positioned to win the national championship, even if it means losing now."

I trust, however, that you're right that the UNC coaches don't talk about it. (Of course, a lot of UNC fans do!)

14. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Errr, I didn't read MRAD's comment as saying that at all. I think that all rational women's soccer fans will stipulate, based on information and belief, that the goal of North Carolina, every year, is to win the national championship.

Unfortunately, I don't think that ND can point to any one of its losses this year as being a byproduct of a considered move to help it get better positioned to win the national championship.

Last year, it took, among other things, the return of Courtney Barg, a wipeout in the Big East tournament, and a poor NCAA seeding to get ND to come together and win through the tournament. It would be better for my blood pressure if they could find a way to the College Cup without such extreme drama (although, after the fact, it was a great season-long story).

15. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great comment. It's a mark of excellent coaching that the players were motivated by "a poor NCAA seeding." The Women's Soccer Committee seeds ND just about exactly where they should be seeded based on the seeding criteria, yet the coach convinces the players they should be pissed off about the disrespect as a way to motivate them. Excellent coaching. (I'm serious, I'm sure the staff knew the seed was appropriate based on ND's record and the criteria, yet they managed to play it to their advantage. I'm also serious that this was good coaching.)

16. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    South Florida and Marquette coming up. C'mon team, handle the Bulls! (You can do it, even if the football team couldn't)

17. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    ND having a tough year the Bulls are not that good.

18. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have followed Notre Dame soccer for over 15 years. Since Shanon Boxx played there. And I don't remember a lousier start to a season such as this.

19. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Some comments from Waldrum about the upcoming Marquette game:

http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/sports/nd-women-s-soccer-irish-tie-usf-hit-the-road-for-trip-1.2608095

20. Dabeautifulgame

Dabeautifulgame New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Watched yesterday's game vs. FSU. For all the skillful players, ND dribbles way too much - maybe try poppin' one touch to speed up play and let the ball do the talking. They will rebound surely.

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I surely don't think that any seasoned observer is counting them out. They always bounce back at the end of the season and they do have the talent. (Not only last year did they do well late, but in 2009 when UNC killed them early at South Bend 6-0, they came back and played a great NCAA tournament with a fine 1-0 match in the final 4.)

22. Focker

Focker Member

Oct 29, 2010
    I wouldnt count them out either. Courtney Barg hasnt played last few games, maybe she's that important to them. Notre Dame will still be a tough out in the NCAA's. Id bet money on it. The commitee will put them in UNC's bracket. Which will suck..

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Wow. Notre Dame continues to lose. I know they play a tough schedule but you have to find a way to beat some of these ranked teams.

I do notice in the box score that Courtney Barg is not on the roster. What's going on? Is she injured?
    Barg IS their key player. Henderson may score the goals but but the ball goes through Barg before it gets to Henderson.

24. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    Interesting story in the ND-SMC Observer about the 2-3 loss to Marquette. Sounds like a mental lapse led to the Golden Eagles' gwg in the first 18 seconds of overtime (shades of the men's lacrosse OT loss to Duke in the nat'l championship game a few years back).

http://www.ndsmcobserver.com/sports/nd-women-s-soccer-nd-drops-game-in-ot-1.2611319

Interesting that Randy moved senior D and captain Jess Schuveiller to midfield. Not unlike his moves with Lauren Fowlkes the last couple of years.

UConn on Friday at home. Good game to start a comeback.

25. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I thought the same thing when I saw that. Schuveiller move like the Fowlkes move.