2011 Notre Dame

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by gogogo, Feb 3, 2011.

1. GeauxIrish

GeauxIrish Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Off topic, does anyone know whether midfielder Courtney Dudley out of Rio Rancho, NM, class of 2012, signed a letter of intent recently to attend Notre Dame?

Various soccer recruiting websites along with published newspaper accounts indicate Courtney committed to Notre Dame, yet the official press release from Notre Dame did not mention her at all.

2. picomast

picomast Member

Oct 6, 2011

It was more of a compliment to Melissa, and The other seniors. Maybe someone will stand out, maybe they will 5 with 10 goals. there certainly is enough talent

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Although this past season was sort of disappointing, Waldrum will find a way to get the team going. Someone will step up. The underclassmen of last season will remember the let-down of the 2011 and will not let that happen again.

I have seen every season of Irish women's soccer since they won their first title in 1995 and have rarely witnessed a season like 2011 where it seemed the air started leaking out of the balloon shortly before midseason and there was nothing left to fly it till the end where it just fizzled to the ground in Champaigne, IL.

What you saw from the Irish in 2011, you will not see in 2012. They will be hungry. And that includes the coaching staff. Mark my words.

4. NDameFan

NDameFan New Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Re: Is 5 enough?

I agree that with the success of the program comes the success of the GK's, such as in the years that they won and made it to the finals. But I can assure you, that if you were to ask Randy what one of ND's biggest weaknesses (aka not having more championships) over his tenure I can guarantee that goalkeeping would be in the top 3 weaknesses.

Not taking shots at any of the GK's he has had, but GKing has played a major role in the final 4 in many cases.

And no... you don't need 10, but I'm just saying I can see why he at least has 5. He is one of the smartest coaches in the nation... I wouldn't question his decisions.

5. TheAusMan

TheAusMan Member

Nov 3, 2011

Goalkeeping has been the problem at ND for years. Nikki Weiss was OK but only 1 out of 4 years. Kelsey was not good, she didn't even take her own goal kicks and was incredibly stiff. Karras gave up soft goal after soft goal. Bohn actually lost her starting job a few times the year they one the championship. I'm guessing 2008 and 2006 should have brought home trophies. Bottom line, keepers have not gotten better at ND. They seem to get bigger and slower.

6. Steven131

Steven131 New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Will it be possible that she may come in later, another semester ?

7. multisport

multisport Member

Nov 9, 2008
    I surely hope that parents of Goalkeepers are reading this thread. Yes, coaches recruit goalkeepers with the intention of not having to play AGAINST them, even if they don't play them. Forwards too. But when you look at transfers, I don't know the stats, but it seems disproportionately high among GKs. Bringing in 5 to hope one works out is not out of line for a Notre Dame...but know what you are getting into.
    It is always surprising at how few really good GKs there are. The emphasis on having some huge basketball style shot stopper seems to stifle development even in ODP. But Randy surely went for the more technical keepers on his U-23 team! Let's hope that filters down to the club levels.

8. ZoroTheSlacker

ZoroTheSlacker A Sophomore Dad

Feb 12, 2012
    Randy is started his <5'6 (my guess having seen her up close) U23 keeper against Sweden - clean sheet today. She is much more than a shot stopper and directs and controls the defense. He knows this. Stopping shots is not as significant as keeping them from happening.
    Also...there are many low shots. High shots are risky and tend to go over. In reality getting to the low ones matters a whole bunch.
    Of course this is written like I'm a parent of a smaller keeper - I am.

9. multisport

multisport Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Yes, it is refreshing to see that technical ability and leadership rewarded. Less opportunity for the other team to shoot is surely the best defense. But plenty of college coaches won't even look at a 5'6 GK. Go Randy. Skill over size any day will win in the beautiful game.

10. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Henniger can reach the upper corners anyway.

11. multisport

multisport Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Cliveworshipper, If this were facebook, I would hit "like"! Yes she can.

12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CW and I know this from first-hand having seen it.

13. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Perception is funny. I never though of her as anything but a big imposing keeper from the first game I saw her.

Never thought to check her height.

14. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

I can't agree with you on it's entirety. First of all Lysander was not a "stiff". She IMO was one of the most athletic keepers ND has ever had. As I said I've seen her save point blank shots and dive to the upper corner to tip a shot over the cross bar or wide of the post. HOWEVER, her reading of the game was not all that good. She often got confused on coming out and her kicking game was terrible. I don't remember many kicks or punts going past midfield.

No matter what you say about Bohn in and out of the line-up, she won that 2004 National Championship with her save from the mark.

Nikki Weiss was solid in the 2010 tournament run to the Championship.

And I don't know if you were around for the 1995 Championship with Jen Renola in goal, but I remember. She was outstanding that year. And of course any Irish fan who's been around remembers Lakeysha Beene. One of the best keepers in the country during her college career at UND.
    And I always thought Elizabeth Wagner was a good goalkeeper.

Yes, I remember several goof-ups by Irish keepers in important games over the years and we always haven't had the best gaolkeepers in the country but there were a few keepers that I thought did their job over the years I've watched this team.

Now last year's experimentation with goalkeepers and starting a freshman keeper, especially at the beginning of the season, I have no idea about.

15. TheAusMan

TheAusMan Member

Nov 3, 2011

I did not call Lysander a stiff. I said she was stiff. She was average and struggled on any high ball and was awful with her feet. She didn't have to do much in 2008 and was asked to do more on 2009, she lost her job. Nikki was really good in 2010 and probably deserves more credit than I gave her. Beene was the best ND keeper ever and Renola was great but I was referencing the past 10 years. As a fan, I am hoping we finally get a top keeper. We can win another trophy if we have a keeper step up.

16. NDameFan

NDameFan New Member

Nov 22, 2011

I agree that Beene was the best ND Keeper. A lot of people mention Erika Bohn in here, and yes she did come up huge during the tournament for ND butgo back during the season with her, Waldrum actually didn't start Bohn for a while and questioned her all season long and she just happened to doher job during the tournament, but that was not the case during her 4 years at ND or even during the year they won it.

17. Yellow2288

Yellow2288 New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    He is a legend in coaching and ND is what he is. If you ever get a chance to go to their coaches clinic, do it. He is a regular guy who talks to anyone. I was there a few years ago and he spent 10 minutes shooting the you know what. This year, I bet he is brutally honest about the season and I want to go so bad to hear it.
    Does anyone know the dates?
    Sorry, turned into a blog. GO IRISH![/QUOTE]

Are you at the Coaches clinic this week? What did Randy say about 2011 season? I would be very curious to see his explanation now that some time has passed. Anyone else?