2011 - Harrisburg City Islanders

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Hax, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Heard that team played well much of the game and could have won. Still, any point on the road is good! Much improvement from Pittsburgh, especially in midfield, however some players lacking ability to go full 90. Additions of Noone and Touray should make big difference as team will have stronger, deeper bench. Reports are that Beccera and Angulo played well in front of "home town" fans. Back line and keeper managed to hold up well against direct play of NY.

Sounds like the team had some off the field challenges too and that the NY organization not very well run.

Quick turnaround against Rhinos could be tough (for both teams). Let's hope homefield advantage makes the difference. Noone should be available and fresh.

2. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harrisburg has a very nice, very professional web feed. Interesting airing commercials on an inset in a corner of the game screen, though.

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CI's win their home opener 1-0 over Rochester.

4. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    They show their games tape delayed on Harrisburg TV, thats probably why the inserted the commercials. The field looks nicer then it has in previous seasons, I guess I'll see first hand on Saturday night. The only that thats bad for the City Islanders is the baseball stadium is literally right next door, kind of like Tinker Field in Orlando, but the Senators draw about 3x what the City Islanders do. When the Senators are home, like to tonight, the CI's attendance suffers greatly.

5. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looked like it was going on TV at some point. I was just commenting on how they did commercials during play.

6. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Why are you up at 6:00 am commenting on games? Saw the note on attendance. True the actual bodies present were half of the announced crowd and baseball was competing for fans, but can't complain for rain-out Tues. night make-up on short notice., esp. with schools still open.

Rhinos opened strong but couldn't break down Isles' defense. Think Harrison only had 1 save in first half. Becerra's perfectly placed direct kick skiped off Marshall to Angulo who finished cleanly. Angulo, Becerra and Ombiji played well up top but rest of midfield looked slow and a bit soft. Second half saw Isle's open up and play more agressively with better possession. Pelletier stepped up to work effectively with Becerra. Angulo, Ombiji slipped behind defenders and had near-misses and keeper saved Thayer's ball off the line. In final 15 Rhinos threw everyone forward and attacked furiously but Bixler, Marshall played out series of crosses, Calvano and Basso keep play wide and Harrision came up big on about 4 deadly shots goal. Play a bit chippy at times in second half but everyone escaped without injury and red cards. Noone made first appearance and Isle's countered Rhino's late insertion of attacking players with defensive middies Bloes and Welker.

Overall slow to start, entertaining game with good outcome against good, rival opponent.

7. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    First off, the team lined up somewhat like this:

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Angulo, Hotchkin, Ombiji, Pelletier, Thayer, Becerra, Basso, Bixler, Marshall, Calvano, Harrison[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

I have a post forthcoming on the Sports 'Burger which will have much of these same thoughts, but I do think the midfield was the weak link last night. Angulo was very strong and crafty, and he easily could've scored a couple of more goals had he not hit the crossbar in the first half or pushed his breakaway attempt wide in the second. Becerra played some nice balls from midfield, but the distribution of Ombiji, Pelletier, and Thayer was lacking. They often played balls too quickly, producing unforced errors, and they didn't hold possession well. The workrate was great, but they need to link up to Angulo and Hotchkin better. What can I say about the defense, they're phenomenal. As well as Harrison played, Bixler was my man of the match. He won a gazillion headers, cleared a shot from the line, and didn't allow the Rhinos attackers to get behind him. He and Marshall are studs in the center, while Basso and Calvano played well on the flanks. There were some nervy moments at the end of the game, but ultimately the City Islanders were well-organized, a little lucky, and the Rhinos just weren't very creative. Noone will be a welcome addition to the midfield, and it should be interesting to see what happens when Touray and Herrick return. Do you slide Hotchkin back to the midfield? Who sits if that's the case?

8. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was actually 7am. And not everybody works 9-5, thank you very much. :p

9. dmeluzio22

dmeluzio22 Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For a rescheduled, school night, with a baseball game I think the crowd wasn't that bad. This saturday will be better for sure as long as the weather is nice. Speaking of weather, it was perfect last night.

Added a link to the Confessions of a Soccer Nobody recap. Great write-up btw.

The backline was awesome. Angulo and Becerra were strong also. Midfield was solid but is the area that could use the most improvement.

Posted some photos and videos including one of the Angulo goal:
    http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/2011/05/harrisburg_vs_rochester_match_2.html

10. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    rft jk

Isles playing what looks more like a 4-1-4-1 as Angulo shows he is strong enough to hold ball as well as attack the back line. Hotchkin looks a bit slow and not contributing much while Thayer not assertive and gives up ball too easily. I sit Hotchkin and Thayer, drop Pelletier back and insert Noone in midfield with Touray (if he ever clears paperwork) on right side (or up top) in 4-1-4-1 or 4-1-3-2. Hotchkin/Herrick fill in for Touray until he is available. Welker and Bloes look good off bench. Big concern is how back line will hold up if regular can't play - maybe Bloes or Thayer drop back?

11. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Revised divisions and schedules issued. How's this impact the City Islanders? For one, the National Division adds LA who leaps into first place. It could be worse as Antigua has 18 points compared to LA's 10. Second, the Isles pick up a home match against FCNY on Saturday, June 18 in place of the scheduled July 6 against River Plate. The bad news is that the team plays at Richmond the night before, the good news is picking up a Saturday night home game rather than the previously scheduled mid-week matchup. It might be a wash for Harrisburg, but it's nice to add another match against FCNY and develop a little bit of a rivalry there. Three schedule revisions in as many weeks, yowza!

http://www.uslsoccer.com/scripts/runisa.dll?M2:gp::72011+L3/Display+E+NDX+NDX+525416

12. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    A nice story on Jose Angulo's return to form after injuries and failed trials overseas and domestically. The Union apparently are keen on him, sound familiar? Could Angulo become this season's Sheanon Williams, a young player with loads of potential who failed to stick overseas and needed some games under his belt before moving up to MLS? Obviously it's too early to tell, but he certainly stood out on Tuesday against Rochester, if he can keep scoring and building fitness, he might very well follow Williams down to PPL Park.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/home/525908.html

13. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    When does a tie feel like a loss? When you're winning by a goal in the 82nd minute, with a man advantage, having outshot your opponent handily while carrying the run of play. The City Islanders had the undefeated Richmond Kickers on the ropes but failed to deliver the knockout blow as Shaka Bangura nodded home the equalizer late in a 1-1 draw. Nelson Becerra's penalty kick had given the Isles a lead early in the 2nd half, and after weathering some early pressure from the Kickers, Harrisburg settled in and really played the better match. But some tired legs, coupled with Richmond's dangerous counter-attacks, led to some nervy moments and ultimately the teams split the points. We didn't learn much about the Isles that we didn't already know. Angulo and Becerra continue to be terrific attacking players, Bixler remains a rock in defense, and Ombiji continues to work hard while possessing horrible touch on the ball. Bill Becher made a couple of changes to the lineup we saw on Tuesday against Rochester, with Touray and Welker replacing Hotchkin and Marshall respectively:

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Angulo, Ombiji, Pelletier, Becerra, Thayer, Touray, Basso, Bixler, Welker, Calvano, Harrison[/LINEUP-4-5-1]

Some late substitutions led to this lineup at the final whistle:

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Seabrook, Bloes, Langley, Noone, Thayer, Schofield, Basso,
    Bixler, Welker, Calvano, Harrison[/LINEUP-4-5-1]

A few observations:

Langley doesn't look ready physically to play at this level. He was played off the ball way too easily.

Noone doesn't look comfortable with his current role on the team. He's been a late sub the past two matches but doesn't really have the wheels to be a spark plug off the bench and his service hasn't really been that of a playmaker. With the current formations employed by Becher, Noone doesn't really have a clear place to play, he's not a winger and Becerra has been great as the playmaker.

Bloes looked really good on the left wing tonight. Ombiji has great wheels and works hard, but with his dreadful touches on the ball, I'd like to see more of Bloes, or even Hotchkin again, get a shot at that left wing position.

Welker was solid replacing Marshall. The back line has good depth and Basso had a very strong match.

Becerra is a legit playmaker, very smooth on the ball with great skill. Angulo didn't get many chances but he's dangerous. I don't fully understand why Becher pulled them tonight. I know he was going with fresher legs late in the match, but they're arguably the team's most skillful players, so don't you want them on the pitch in a close game? I know they have a congested fixture list, but I'm curious to see them in the clutch. Maybe as they build fitness and the team figure out their rotation.

14. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    I can't seem to get e formation thingy to work properly on my iPad. The lineups are a 4-2-3-1 (left to right):

Angulo
    Ombiji -- Becerra-- Touray
    Pelletier -- Thayer
    Basso -- Bixler -- Welker -- Calvano
    Harrison

Seabrook
    Boles -- Noone -- Schofield
    Langley -- Thayer
    Basso -- Bixler -- Welker -- Calvano
    Harrison

15. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    I told my (Richmond) friends at the game that going down a man might have actually been to our advantage in a weird way. Richmond has a wider field, about 8 to 10 yards wider the City Island. going a man down opened up just enough space where we had room to work. Odd, I know, but it worked out that way in the end.. we came within 6" of winning it also later on when Nyazamba crossed a low ball that Delicate just couldn't quite get a boot on into a wide open net.

16. craighwk

craighwk Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was born and raised in HBG and went to several Islander games back in the day. I'm coming home the first week of June and it looks like there's a game that Saturday! I may have to come and support my old team. Sounds like fun!

17. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    in a non soccer related note... I just don't understand the appeal of deep fried Oreo's.. but hey.. to each his own. That truck had the longest lines of the night.

18. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Good to see Touray (finally) and Welker get playing time. Bloes and Noone also add quality to mid-field. Ombiji remains dangerous because of quickness and ability to get himself in dangerous positions; touch could be better but he requires tight marking opening space for Angulo and Becerra to work. Depth is important over course of season, esp. with back-to-back and/or mid-week matches. Marshall and Hotchkin (unavailable Sat.) should be back in line-up against Orlando. Herrick still missing from action.

19. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    Richmond was missing our midfield General Michael Callahan also.. but no excuses.. until we went down to 10 men, you guys wanted it more then we did, plain and simple. That altercation lit a fire under us though. Funny how that works.

20. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Mikey,

I agree, the sending off seemed to wake up the Kickers and they played with far more urgency after that. I thought Richmond also looked really good for the first fifteen minutes or so, they really got numbers in the attack quickly. Then the match settled down and Harrisburg carried the next 60 minutes or so before Richmond finished strong. I do think that Harrisburg is coming together, they've only played four matches because of the weather postponements and while they're very solid in the back, the offense is still a work in progress. The Isles have only scored three goals in four games, yet they've only conceded three themselves. Richmond was dangerous, no question about it, but I'm fairly happy with how Harrisburg played considering the Kickers have been the class of the league so far. This is a far cry from last season's woeful start...

21. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    it was an interesting contrast, the Kickers are built for long wide fields, the CI's are built for shorter compact fields. I can't wait to see how you guys do down here. It should be just as interesting as Saturday night was

22. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
  23. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    More City Islanders news today:

Andrew Marshall broke his foot and will be out at least 2-4 weeks. It's a good thing the team has Andrew Welker to slide into the center back role alongside Dstin Bixler.

http://blog.pennlive.com/upper90/2011/05/andrew_marshall_out_with_a_foo.html

Also, to make up the previously scheduled match against River Plate Puerto Rico, the Isles will now host FC New York on Wednesday, July 20.

24. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    Harrisburg hosts Orlando City tomorrow at 3 pm. The weather should be warm and humid with a chance of thunderstorms. The Lions played Rochester to a 0-0 tie last night and will be fighting fatigue. The City Islanders have several players injured, including two starters: Nelson Becerra (knee), Andrew Marshall (broken foot, out 2-4 weeks), Jason Herrick (concussion), and Drew Yates (knee, out for season). I think this is J.T. Noone's chance to return to the starting lineup and play his preferred withdrawn forward role in Becerra's absence. I'd assume that Andrew Welker will start alongside Dustin Bixler in place of Marshall again. I predict a starting lineup of:

[LINEUP-4-5-1]Angulo, Ombiji, Touray, Pelletier, Noone, Thayer, Basso, Bixler, Welker, Calvano, Harrison[/LINEUP-4-5-1]