2011 Gold Cup : your predictions please!

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Gwadaboyz 72, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ladies and gentlemen, less than three month to wait before the start of hostilities. Meanwhile, deliver all our different predictions for this great competition.

So here is mine!

Group A : 1. MEXICO, 2. COSTA RICA, 3. Salvador, 4. Cuba

Group B : 1. HONDURAS, 2. JAMAICA, 3. GUATEMALA, 4.Grenada

Group C : 1. USA, 2. GUADELOUPE, 3.CANADA, 4.Panama

Quarterfinals
    A. Costa Rica - Jamaica : Costa Rica
    B. Mexico - Canada : Mexico
    C. Honduras - Guadeloupe : Guadeloupe
    D. USA - Guatemala : USA
    Semi-Finals
    Mexico - Costa Rica : Mexico
    USA - Guadeloupe : Guadeloupe

FINAL
    Mexico - Guadeloupe : GUADELOUPE

Yes, Guadeloupe will be the new Gold Cup winner!!!! It's just being provocative but why not? We got nothing to loose! :D

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it is wise to wait for the official rosters to come out before we predict anything.

Your team can finish last for all we know right now.

3. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Prediction is not an exact science because nobody can predict the future, i agree. Official rosters have not yet been established, right! It may be to soon it's true but nothing prevents that we play the game of predictions. I put Guadeloupe as Gold Cup winner by pure provocation. I know it will be difficult for us because this edition is a qualifier for the Confederation Cup. So except in case of injury, all team will get their best players. It's like we're going to play the qualifiers for the World Cup! My country is not favored to win the Gold Cup final, the gwada boys won't have result's pressure in contrast to countries like Mexico, USA, Honduras or Costa Rica. But remember the feat of Greece team at Euro 2004! Remember also that Guadeloupe a newcomer in 2007 CONCACAF Gold Cup, had worried Mexico in the semifinals. So anything can happen! Guadeloupe can finish last team in her group or Guadeloupe can make a good tournament as in 2007 or better yet! :cool:

4. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    its way to early for predictions. not only because the rosters has not been released but you never know which teams might lose key players to injury.

5. Gwadaboyz 72

Gwadaboyz 72 Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    One or more key players can be injured now but nothing prevents us to do predictions because even on the eve of a match, a key player can also be injured. While the Gold Cup is held in three months, in a week or tomorrow, it's the same!
    By cons, the difference will be on the state of players' freshness!

6. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only prediction is the USA will win :D

7. SocaWarrior23

SocaWarrior23 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    College Park MD
    I wont make a prediction but i really hope the final will be Favorite vs Underdog.
    Tournaments are best when there are major upsets but still one big dog. Something like Jamaica/Canada vs Mexico or Costa Rica/Honduras vs US. The 1st would be preferred because i feel like an empty stadium kills the atmosphere for a final.
    I wished they picked a different stadium for the final because they basically guaranteed that if Mexico isnt in the final the final will look bad on tv. Its easier to hide a small crowd in a box shaped stadium than a bowl shaped.

8. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico will win, hands down, but I mean I am a big fan.

I don't want to fall under the same false optimism of being a Mexico fan (particularly those of us who are in the States), but I feel confident and we are really putting all of our eggs on this basket (damn shame, too, because Copa America >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USA in the Gold Cup.) Plus a 3-1, smashing of a real good Paraguay team does that to you.

Concerning Gwadaboyz prediction, Guadeloupe is really developing for how little a nation and time it has in CONCACAF competitions. I'd say considering how little the country is and how fast it is developing it can cause some real threats in Gold Cup competition. Sooner than later, it will overcome Trinidad as the Carribean top dawg, but unfortunately we won't see it participate because it is still a French colony (me thinks.)

A huevo Mexico!

9. BigClos

BigClos Red Card

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    mex vs usa will be the final.

mex will win 4-2 cheech hat trick if the usa decide to play football and not bunker:D

10. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I predict all but maybe the final match will have crappy futbol with terrible referees and pretty lame crowds.

I also predict the final will be US-Mex, by hook or by crook, because Jack Warner needs more bling.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

That is not a very wise prediction. This may be the best attended Gold Cup ever.

12. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Attendance is not what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

13. goalcrazy

goalcrazy Red Card

Mar 7, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2011 GC could go the way of the US after a strong showing against tough South American Teams, definitely would prepare them for the such trick team as Honduras, El Salvador and Mexico. Who do you guys think will take home this year's trophy?

14. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Obvi, Mexico, dawg.

I like Mexico, we have a good team, finally found a striker who can score. Obviously home crowd, doesn't count for shit here in the US, considering the final will be at The Colisseum (?). And, I feel, we are motivated to win it all and some of our key players are having good seasons. The only real threat I fear for Mexico, is that we have no idea how to play against teams who stay on their side of the pitch and wait for a counter, and since that is the only way the US knows how to play, this might be worrisome.

I can, honestly, only hope ********ing USA doesn't play its brand of shitty football, and surprises us all with some offense.

15. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Its at the Rosebowl.

16. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

I hope we don't get any rotten central american refs that are political towards Mexico in any way.

17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Oh, yeah, that's why it'll be US-Mex..not because, you know, we're the 2 superior teams. Awesome prediction!

18. Free Glass

Free Glass Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Pffff.... Final will be US-Mexico. Winner is a coin-toss from there.

Costa Rica'll surprise us, probably.

19. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Anyone wanna give Costa Rica or Honduras a fair shot? How are Costa Ricans liking La Volpe? I thought that was the best I've seen Mexico play and I contribute the good young talent we've got a lot to do with him, when Mexican players started going to Europe and making an actual difference (Pardo and Osorio making Stuttgart Bundesliga champs, Guardado a key player in Depor, Salcido and Masa in Eredivisie).

I like the guys style, too and so does 'Sep. http://www.impre.com/laopinion/deportes/futbol/2009/7/31/sep-guardiolaadmira-a-la-volpe-138716-1.html

20. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    i think canada will do better than a lot of people expect them to do.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well if Mexico plays Honduras in the second round in New Jersey...

...they better watch out. Outside of the Azteca Honduras seems to own los Mexicanos. (And we know what happened the last time these two teams played in the Copa Oro.)

As for Costa Rica they have a good team too and can really give the US or Mexico headaches. (They took Mexico to OT at Soldier Field last time.)
    Their demise is the fact there are very few Costa Rica fans here so their support is always ourtnumbered in the stands which may intimidate them a bit in later rounds.

Of Course my money is on the USA and Mexico though.

22. RJD22

RJD22 Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    oh I love how people like to pull "Stats" and "facts" out of their asses. Yeah, you said that your "money is on Mexico and the U.S." But retarded comments really irk me. I hope you know that the All time Record between the the two is 15-5-5 in favor of Mexico and 4 of those 5 Honduran wins came in Honduras and last time I checked the Gold Cup isn't in Honduras and well I don't like to make excuses but it does have to be taken into account that the last two losses came during that horrible Sven-Göran Eriksson Era and we all know how sh!tty that experiment went. But yeah, Honduras did beat Mexico in NJ back in 2007 but that was the first Honduran win over Mexico on a "neutral" ground. Their record on neutral ground is 1-2-2. Yeah, that sure is total Honduran "domination" and well if anyone doesn't agree with what I'm saying then take up with FIFA cause all the information I got came from their records..

23. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  24. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Cool it RJ! No need to shove our dominance down someone's throat. Truth of the fact is that Honduras has been making some good strides and Mexico, until recently, has been making steps backwards. So, of course, people get optimistic, especially Mexico haters. Yeah, we have historically dominated, but Mexico, as of late, has been having a difficult time against Honduras and other CONCACAF.

If we do face Honduras in the 2nd round, then I expect a close match. 2-0 would suprise me, to be fair. Mexico stills the victor!
    :D

25. RJD22

RJD22 Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    True, I do need to tone it down, but like I said stupid "facts" really annoy me. If he had said what you did, that "Mexico has struggled as of late" then I wouldn't have said anything because that's the truth. But what he said is just complete BS. I don't count splitting two Home & Away series and a losing a game that happened 4 years ago "getting owned"