2011 Free Agency

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Nov 16, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, teams are definitely required by FIFA to release players at least 14 days prior to the first match of a finals of an international tournament (June 12). But I bet there might be other requirements I didn't find in my 5 sec google search.

I assume that some players and/or teams will want their players earlier and that some players may have written different availability into their contracts. At least, I would have thought about doing that.

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, will WPS lower the amount of games developmental players need to play in (was 12 of 24) before it is required that a team give them a full contract?

Maybe 9 of 18??

3. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean Kelly Smith is definitely coming back?

4. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Find the nearest piece of wood and start knocking....

And don't stop until you hear something!!

:D

5. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully this Kelly Smith situation is resolved very soon if not sooner!

If Kelly and the team have to part ways it would be nice to be able to sign someone to try add fill her very large boots...before they sign with somebody else....

Maybe Lindsey Tarpley....

6. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    No. That hasn't been determined yet.

7. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    In an interview with a Swedish football website, Sundhage stated that national team players will be in camp together during the weeks for the entire season, but released for club matches at weekends. In other words, national team players will not be training with their clubs. No idea how the logistics are going to work there if that's how things turn out.

8. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sonia Bompastor comfirmed this when asked about the USA recent dip in form. She said her friends from the US team would be preparing in camp and would be a lot better than during the qualifiers.

And it looks bad for WPS teams to train a whole week without their main players and only see them for week-ends...how can they expect to create affinites on the pitch :confused:

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    With the new pro league in England beginning its first next season, she may want to or is under pressure to join that new league and to give it mor credence. Karen carney has already signed in the new league along with chapman. Maybe other English players like Smith will follow suit.

10. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007

What would you suggest as a better alternative?

The only other option is to refuse to sign U.S. National Team players.

Some clubs are certainly trying to reduce their USWNT load.

But as a fan, would you want to see your local club dismantle their core group of veteran starters - who you will still get see play on most weekends - in order to have a group of new and unfamiliar players that get to practice together during the week (which you won't see anyway)?

11. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The best way for Kelly to prepare for WWC is to play in the most competitive league in the world....with and against the best players in the world. WPS is still that league...

With just 6 teams this year it's going to be more competitive (& repetitive) than ever...

agreed.

I'm glad Pia is keeping them in residency....I wonder just where that residency will be now?? Certainly wouldn't make sense to have it at HDC with (practically) every team in the Northeast...

I was slightly more concerned when Pia will want the team to travel to Germany....Two weeks prior is a given but a week or two more might be in order....

Again for the record, I wouldn't have a problem forfeiting (or bringing in the Aztecs) for as many games as needed in 2010....

Keep signing those US Internationals Andy....It's a marathon not a sprint! If the league isn't around in 2011 I couldn't care less about a 2010 trophy. If, as I believe it will be, I sure want the best US (& ENGLISH) players under contract!

:D

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Don't let them go into NT camp. If it is not in the FIFA regulated period. I mean do the foreign international players get released for long period like the US ones ? probably not.
    It is the good old club vs country debate. I certainly think, there will be a loss in football quality for the pre-world cup games but it will come back to normal after the WC.

13. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007

Impossible.

Anyway...if I don't allow Leslie Osborne or Lauren Cheney to go into NT camp in a World Cup year, the Boston Breakers will never again be able to sign a National Team player in free agency...or a player who thinks they have a shot to play on the national team someday.

14. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Perhaps one response might be to move residency temporarily to the East Coast (now that WPS is primarily an East coast enterprise)?

15. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What we really need is to find Pia a great deal on cheap hotel rooms and some awesome practice fields and convenient workout facilities right here in Boston, preferably close to Harvard.:D

16. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
  17. Del Piero 10

Del Piero 10 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    FromLauletta’s League Lowdown on remaining free agents - Hope Solo, Nicole Barnhart, Karina LeBlanc, Jillian Loyden, GK: It is clear there are more goalkeepers than there are goalkeeping jobs. Philadelphia, Western New York, Sky Blue, and Boston are all content at the position. That being said, any of the four here is likely an upgrade over Alyssa Naeher in Boston.

I'm not a Breakers fan but still need to take exception to that last line. Hope Solo, if healthy, I agree with and Barnhart maybe. From what I saw last year, I'd take Naeher over LeBlanc and don't get me started on Naeher versus Loyden. Not even close.

18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    like i said. there's gonna be good players who don't make a team this year.

no way.

del piero, your assessment is exactly my thinking. no coach in his or her right mind would exchange naeher for any other gk in that list except a healed hope.

19. AngusPodgorny

AngusPodgorny New Member

Sep 28, 2002
    The choise of goalkeepers is complicated by the possibility of significant missed time due to callups. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is likely to be a USWNT residency camp from as early as March and extending through May, during which the players will not be available to their WPS team during the week. WPS teams might be better off selecting additional goalkeepers who will be available full-time for the entire season, even if there is some dropoff in skill level.

20. Flea2009

Flea2009 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Kirkcaldy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I really don't know why the GM and managers are letting the national team do this. What would the league be like if all the WC countries followed suit. The league would be full of unprepared jet lagged players every game day. The teams have FIFA rules on their side don't they?

21. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    US WC preparations: the entire pre-WC season. German preparations: roughly a month solid prior to the tournament. Swedish preparations: a week. My money's on Sweden for the gold. ;)

In all fairness, I haven't seen details re. the USWNT/WPS arrangment, only the bare bones. It might be more sensible than it seems at the moment. (Modified boarding school for football players, who get a weekend pass to go "home"?!) On the other hand, maybe there's agreement on this in the hope that a successful WC would boost the league's chances of success?

22. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely agree with this. I also think that if Andy tried to sign Solo, a lynch mob wearing blue scarves would quickly form in Westwood.;)

Naeher made quite a few bad plays, especially at the beginning of her run as starting keeper, but improved steadily throughout the season. I hope she's worked on her goal kicks in the offseason, as she could almost never clear the midfield line. She could dropkick it quite far, so it would not seem to be her leg that's the problem.

23. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the mob would form up in Norwood now. haha

24. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    did you not read andy's reason in post #63 above?

mexico's mnt calls up players outside of the fifa play dates all the time.

and several wnts will be doing this in preparation for the wwc this year.

it's difficult. but clubs have to prepare for it.

25. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I somehow missed the office move, and stand corrected. Easier for a mob to form there anyway.