2011 Free Agency

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Nov 16, 2010.

1. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Well, nevermind then ;)

2. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

via Jeff Kassouf Twitter:

@BostonBreakers agree the to terms with free agent and #USWNT defender Rachel Buehler. #WPS

I win. :D

Now I'll take Tina and Ali and call it a day...

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'll work well right up til the players leave for the WWC... Then it'll be Dieke and ??? Still, a nice pickup for Boston.

4. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm happy to have been wrong (and a good thing too since it happens so often:rolleyes:.) Buehler is a great addition. The question left to answer is where she plays. She's been at fullback lately for the WNT, so will she play there for the Breakers? And, does this mean Stephanie Cox won't be back?

5. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Also in the same announcement, Kasey Moore will return to the Breakers back line in 2011.

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I certainly hope she goes back to central defense where she belongs....

My thinking sees Tony putting her in the middle to show Pia where she belongs...

I expect to see Cox or (hopefully) Riley's name on a Breaker contract shortly...

7. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Dieke did a great job, so while I agree about Buehler's place on the national team, I'd be OK with her taking Steph's place instead here. I also think Steph did a fine job as well, so I wouldn't be disappointed to see her come back, and I also wouldn't be sorry (OK that's an understatement) to see Riley come to Boston.

What does anyone think of another refugee from the Gold Pride, O'Hara? Even though I guessed wrong about a forward, it doesn't mean we couldn't use one.

8. mskenny

mskenny Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Ashland, MA
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Andy! It was terrific to get some good football news today.

9. Soccer1161

Soccer1161 New Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Wonderful player and person. Good for Kasey and the Breakers. :)

10. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice pickups by Tony & Andy. It seemed like Washington took longer to recover from the ACL tear and never really got going last season. But here's hoping she's fully back as she's really very talented.

eta: I'm curious as to how signing these two players impacts the team's need t resign Tarpley. You're @ 16 players right now, right?

eta2: Maybe this is Lilly's big move to left back (which I've been secretly thinking about for a while).

13. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tarpley & Cox being US Nats might be a bit too expensive....

I hope not, I'd love them both back in Breaker Blue...

As for Lilly playing LB, I'd be confident in her playing keeper so that's fine by me...I'd actually like to see Pia put her there in a friendly before WC....I hate to see her on the bench! I don't think Lil would accept a spot on teh WC roster to sit on the bench, I'd think she'd tell Pia to take a youngster if she wasn't in her plans to play....

Tony on KO:

"Kelley O'Hara is a big-time pick up for the Boston Breakers. She was voted the Best Female College Player after a terrific senior season at Stanford and then made a great transition to the pro game, teaming with Marta and Christine Sinclair to form a devastating attacking trio at FC Gold Pride. She is a goal creator and goal scorer and has a wonderful competitive fire and work rate. I look forward to coaching her again and I know that the Boston fans will quickly take to her aggressive attacking style."

So much for any rift between the two!

This team is really taking shape...

:D

14. Tomahawk

Tomahawk Member

Mar 20, 2003
    Astral Plane
    please add whitney engen....

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No space for her, though. Buehler & LePeilbet are the first choice CBs and Moore & Dieke would be the 2nd choice ones. Why add her when you've already got 4? I didn't find her early left back switch all that successful, even if that's the defensive place you're light.

16. mavric

mavric Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this a stupid question, but since Nobis signed with her old team Piteå for next season does that mean that she won't be playing in the WPS? Do the season's overlap?

Thanks!

17. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @BreakersGM

The Breakers appear to be out of the running to re-sign Lindsay Tarpley. Great person - we wish her well with USNWT and her next team. #wps

Sad day in Boston....

I say again, Rapinoe or Nogueira please...And if we have to lose Kelly, both.

18. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a stupid question at all. Basically, the Swedish league plays Spring to Fall, i.e. something like April-October, which is longer than WPS, so it pretty much takes her out of WPS play. While a player could take the chance of getting a rostered position on the WPS this year, my intuition says a lot of players that want lots of game time, and not bench time, will be vying for a limited number of international positions across the EU leagues. Most likely the players who were college standouts and YNT players, who have seen limited game time in WPS in 2010 and or 2009, but need to play to keep improving their game.

19. mavric

mavric Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Boston Area
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the update... Good news is I learned something new today, the bad news is it sounds like no Nobis next year :(... She was the family favorite next to Amy L.....

Thanks again!

-Don

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What does the roster of signed players look like so far? I'm thinking the Breakers don't have that many open slots left. Anyone have a list handy?

21. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.ourgamemagazine.com/

OurGame Magazine is reporting that Stephanie Cox has re-signed with Boston.

We really needed that!!

-------------------------Naeher----------------------

----Scott--------Buehler-------LePeilbet---------Cox---

Me thinks that's the best defense in WPS.

:D

22. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just looking at the website....and making a couple of adjustments (Moore/Cox) 17 under contract....

Alyssa Naeher
    Ashley Phillips

Rachel Buehler
    Ifeoma Dieke
    Amy LePeilbet
    Alex Scott
    Stephanie Cox

Jordan Angeli
    Kristine Lilly
    Leslie Osborne
    Kasey Moore
    Taryn Hemmings
    Liz Bogus

Kelly Smith
    Lauren Cheney
    Kelley O'Hara
    Nikki Washington

+1 potential free agent we might re-sign.....Fabiana

23. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Mike,

I believe your list is correct, based on a quick review. 17 players under contract, with Cox the latest to agree to terms.

24. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Any chance WPS expands roster size this year with us going down to 6 teams and being a World Cup year??

We know there's a 2 week break for the beginning of WWC...But when do you expect US Soccer/Pia Sundage to call in players from their club teams to prepare?

I've certainly come to expect that we will not get specific contract information from WPS or individual teams but...

Is there any chance you can specify how many of the 17 are signed to a guaranteed or semi-guaranteed contract.

I know it would be too much to ask who is and is not guaranteed right??

Finally just because a player is "under contract" it doesn't mean she'll be on the opening roster right?? guaranteed or semi-guaranteed? They can always be cut, paid/not paid?

explain?

------------------------

When will WPS have a Steve Goff type that gets contract info released/leaked to them by the players union?? Ryan? Jeff?

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for making the list, RevsFan. I was lazy. With a roster limit of 18 (plus the 4 developmental), if Boston signs another player then they are pretty much guaranteeing that their first round pick won't make the final 18. That makes me think Boston is done in the FA market. Unless they are able to cut one of the "fringe" carry overs from last season that aren't "new" signings (Bogus, Hemmings, and Dieke).

I believe Boston has the 6th pick in the first round. This draft isn't as deep as last year but a roster worthy player will be available at pick 6.

Andy, I have a question (or two) w/ respect to roster rules for 2011 and hope you might be able to answer it. What are WPS rules with respect to short term contracts for players. Like say if a team loses say 7 players to national team call ups -- would a team be able to sign a player to a 2-3 week contract? And will WPS push back the roster lockdown date b/c of the WWC?