Review: 2011: A year to Forget

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Nov 17, 2011.

1. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might be failures, but kids learn a lot from failures. Maybe more so than success at that age.

As for the German thing, if they thought the problem was that they weren't taking the youth tournaments seriously enough and that was hurting their senior team then I understand the change. But here's the thing: We're talking about the U.S. Not the German youth squads. The problem over here IMO is that we were taking those tournaments way too seriously at the expense of long term development.

Yes, of course you want to win every time you step on the pitch. Why play the game? However, I still don't group the failings of the U.S. youth squads in this past year as anything negative against the program. I personally don't care about youth results at all.

Edit: In the long run the U.S. will have to find a way to develop players with high level skill combined with that "never say die" attitude that has been a hallmark of U.S. soccer and has probably allowed us to punch a little bit above our weight in the past. I mean, what's the point in developing highly skilled players who are soft? In that regard, yes winning is a very important mindset that we should not give up at the expense of developing raw talent. But we also can't be upset when results don't go our way at the youth level.

2. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Because it's a team failure. The objective of youth development is not to develop and deliver winning youth teams, but to deliver top level individuals (players). Therefore these so called "failures of our top youth players" are not failures of youth development per se.

The point is: 'the youth development system' should develop/deliver two top players per generation (year). With the average top level career lasting for approximately 8 seasons it should be more than enough players to seriously compete in the World Cup.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Realistically all players should concentrate on club football and National team games should be secondary.

Nigeria has 3 U-17 World cups, no Over 23 WC.

But personally I would like to think that “making” the U-20 WC is a good thing, losing in Concacaf (happens to even Mexico youth levels) is not a good thing. JMO.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the clubs would love that, but then I think you were referring to just youth teams, while they would love for it to be all of it.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Youth Development happens at the club level; at the National level it should be lining up the best available prospects at that time to give them international playing time and allowing the head National coach to evaluate them in pressure situations.

Winning is not all of it, but the more you win, the more games you get to play.

Not making the Youth WC is not terrible, but it is not a good thing for sure.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did mean all players regardless of age. The Club pays the bills, that is were development happen.

Don't get me wrong there is a balance, but yes over all club should come first.

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Youth tournaments might be even more important for us than other countries. Nearly all of Mexico's players play in Mexico, Germany in the Bundesliga etc. Our players are scattered across the globe, Scandinavia, North America, Germany etc.

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see. Yes, I wish it were not so, but it is.

9. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    True. But hopefully this will change and must change.

@ Ceezmad USSF should coordinate youth development at club level. This is what most of the big federations do (probably with the exception of Brazil and Argentina). Leave it to the clubs is leaving it to chance. This is what Claudio Reyna's master plan is all about. From top to bottom. Even soccer moms have to know what 4-3-3 is and how to coach it.

10. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'll know we've arrived when soccer moms can do that from heart. ;)

11. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the USSF should tell all clubs with American players to play a 4-3-3?

;)

Coordinate as much as possible sure, but if the USA has good youth players, then they will go to bigger clubs, there they will have to learn the system from their head coach, I doubt an American 16 year old will tell say the Roma manager, "hey I only play a 4-3-3 coach." :D

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club before country! ;)

We the fans must recognize that National teams are superfriendly tournaments, the players make their money with the club, this is not the Olympics.

I go the other way from you, I think FIFA is trying to take too much power from clubs with all those FIFA dates.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is that I couldn't care less about club football compared to international football. I'm not really psyched about cheering for Corporate team X. FIFA has an amazing scam going on, there is no doubt, but it's a scam that I enjoy.