Review: 2011: A year to Forget

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Nov 17, 2011.

1. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    The first time I read Outliers, I thought "Nah, in soccer it's probably different when you look at the absolute top players of a nation: the national team."

But in this discussion we're having, it's actually quite interesting to see if it is true. Let's look at the rosters published on ussoccer.com:

Jan/Feb/Mar --- 3 / 12 = 25%
    Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr --- 4 / 12 = 33.3%
    Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr/May/Jun --- 6/12 = 50%

u23
    jfm 8 / 35 = 22.8% (-2.2)
    jfma 9 / 35 = 25.7% (-7.6)

u20
    jfm 10/ 32 = 31.3% (+6.3)
    jfma 13/ 32 = 40.6% (+7.6)

u18
    jfm 7 / 16 = 43.8% (+18.8)
    jfma 10/ 16 = 62.5% (+29.2)

u17
    jfm 10/ 21 = 47.6% (+22.6)
    jfma 12/ 21 = 57.1% (+23.8)

u15
    jfm 16/ 36 = 44.4% (+19.4) (8 born in Jan)
    jfma 20/ 36 = 55.5% (+22.2)

USMNT
    jfm 7/ 21 = 33.3% (+8.3)
    jfma 9/ 21 = 42.8% (+9.5)
    jfmamj 16/ 21 = 76.2% (+26.2)

2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006

--------SHT----SOG---CNR----FL------GL----
    SLO-----14/11--7/5---9/5----10/15---2/3
    FRANCE--14/5---6/2---4/3----10/8----1/0
    ECUADOR 9/22---4/8---5/10---19/12---1/0
    HON-----13/11--6/6---4/5----16/18---0/1
    BELGIUM 13/6---5/2---5/3----13/11---1/0
    CRC-----6/13---5/4---1/4----27/12---1/0
    MEXICO--7/6----1/3---4/2----16/8----1/1

Spain---20/6---8/1---3/2----9/11----4/0
    Prgy----5/13---3/3---2/3----18/8----1/0
    Arg-----13/7---6/4---6/2----9/12----1/1
    Chile---9/7----3/4---0/2----9/18----1/1
    SAfrica-8/5----4/4---11/1---9/11----0/1
    Col-----4/4----2/2---1/2----15/14---0/0
    Pol-----8/17---7/5---3/5----14/9----2/2

The time difference isn't much when one takes into account the discrete nature of international football.

And South Africa(52 on the elo) is a 'gimmie', even in SA. 50th ranked Poland in the US should also have been a gimmie.

Considering Klinsmann is emphasizing building a system over short term results, is playing on the road, and hasn't had dempsey and donovan the record compares favorably.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    It's one of the very few games against an elite squad in which the US looked like a well organized team that knew what the hell it was doing. The team wasn't even bunkering. Typically the US is chasing the game and is scrambling not to get run out of the park. The last two matches of the Confed had that 'Miracle on grass' feel that accompanies strong US performances in such circumstances.

The lack of chances in the France game could have been addressed by personnel adjustments.

4. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Unless I missed subtle sarcasm: more exposure to (international) scouts and good looking on the résumé.

I don't think anyone said anything about not wanting to win. There is the experience of playing with and against the best players around the nation and globe, and being coached by the best coaches, and performing under more pressure (representing your nation for one).

This of course could mean anything: if those "major clubs" play 'kick and rush' moving through those ranks doesn't mean much if the kind of talent the national team is looking for has to be of a different kind.

Again that depends on the actual experience of those "three to six games". Besides I highly doubt your claim of "[only] three to six games" to be true. After fact checking that number: Sixteen games in 2010.

http://www.ussoccer.com/Teams/Youth/US-Under20-Men/Schedule-Results/2010.aspx

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Not really. Players get added and dropped as the cycle moves on.

The team at the start of the '07 GC.

1-Tim Howard; 2- Frankie Hejduk, 22-Oguchi Onyewu, 3-Carlos Bocanegra (capt.), 13-Jonathan Bornstein; 6-Michael Bradley, 5-Benny Feilhaber (12-Jay DeMerit, 81), 10-Landon Donovan, 7-DaMarcus Beasley; 20-Taylor Twellman (14-Steve Ralston, 71), 8-Clint Dempsey (9-Eddie Johnson, 61) Subs not used: 4-Jonathan Spector, 11-Brian Ching, 18-Kasey Keller, 19-Ricardo Clark

At the start of the '10 WC.

USA: 1-Tim Howard; 6-Steve Cherundolo, 15-Jay DeMerit, 5-Oguchi Onyewu, 3-Carlos Bocanegra (capt.); 10-Landon Donovan,13 -Ricardo Clark, 4-Michael Bradley, 8-Clint Dempsey; 20-Robbie Findley (14-Edson Buddle, 77), 17-Jozy Altidore (11-Stuart Holden, 86) Subs not used: 2-Jonathan Spector, 7-DaMarcus Beasley, 9-Herculez Gomez, 12-Jonathan Bornstein, 16-Jose Torres, 18-Brad Guzan, 19-Maurice Edu, 21-Clarence Goodson, 22-Benny Feilhaber, 23-Marcus Hahnemann

6 changes. We aren't even in month six of the Klinsmann era as the '07 GC team was of the Bradley era.

6. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    That's a nice list, however it's almost meaningless in soccer.

Here's why:
    http://www.bundesliga.de/en/liga/matches/2011/index.php
    Schalke - Nurnberg: click "Details", look at the Team statistics and the Player statistics...

7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Goals scored and given up are meaningless. Ok, chief.

8. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Like that was all you listed. :confused:

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So make up your mind-which means more-results or appearances?

10. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    Pick a stat and show that it's meaningless. That is, show that a team that does well in that stat is no more likely to win than a team that does badly in it. That would be interesting. Likewise, it would be interesting if you could show the opposite.

Finding one game with a lopsided score in which two teams are close statistically doesn't show much.

11. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    The example tells us that statistics like 'shots', 'shots on goal', 'corners', 'fouls', etc. do not have any meaning. They don't tell the story of a game.

PS "close statistically"? Please reexamine the stats of that game.

12. beamish

beamish Member+

Jul 6, 2009
    It's one thing not to have meaning. It's another to not tell the story of every game. (I'm not saying that the stats have meaning or that they aren't part of the story of Schalke/Nürnberg.)

13. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Well I'm glad to know you agree :)

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The World Cup is 3 group games and then up to four more games if you go all the way. That's seven at most. Qualifying would add a maximum of five games to that. So you get 12 games at most, and that is assuming you go all the way to the U-20 final and the CONCACAF Final. The rest of those games on your list are friendlies or random tournaments like the Milk Cup.

Someone needs to define what "results don't matter," means in this context then, if "I don't think anyone said anything about not wanting to win."

15. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Yet they still played 16 games. Sixteen games in which either winning was what is was all about, or sixteen of which in some winning was the objective, or sixteen in which winning wasn't the key objective but developing the player.

Playing a game with high level teammates, opponents and pressures is a great setting for player development. Doing so sixteen times in a year would definitely serve more than the two purposes you claim it would.

Which is not even to say the USSF staff "[doesn't] want the [U20's] to win the games it plays". The primary objective of every individual player is - I take it - to win every game. The USSF (staff) should make player development their main objective for every youth team. And not just on a national team level, but also for every youth team in the nation. -- Provided the objective is to develop more 'creative' players as opposed the more 'physically gifted' players we have been developing.

You're claiming the USSF "[doesn't] want the team to win the games it plays", as in "We don't want you to win!". That's something complete different from the soccer federation not putting emphasis on game or tournament results.

16. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we outplayed Paraguay i thought. just scored one more than us.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, I am claiming that the USSF doesn't want the U-20s to win? Interesting, that's news to me.

18. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notables
    1) Shea (Big time part of the future)
    2) Johnson (Slovenia made him the next US hero)
    3) Altidore (Keep it up at AZ Josmer)
    4) Dempsey (Solid year)
    5) Michael Bradley (NT fans saw how much we actually need him)

Other stories
    1) Donovan (Only played 2 games under JK, people think hes on his downfall)
    2) Edu (I do not consider him a starter)
    3) Agudelo (I thought he was going to have a much better year for RBNY, yes I know hes only 18 but I along with A LOT of people thought he was the next savior of the program when he scored against Argentina/South Africa)
    4) Ream (Crappy year for him, hopefully he moves on from MLS and becomes the best defender in the pool)
    5) Injuries to Lichaj/Holden (We may never know what these friendlies would have looked like with Lichaj on LB and Chandler on RB, or vis-versa. Holden would have been huge to have around as well.)

19. Dezoeeee

Dezoeeee New Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think about it, after the past few friendlies , we got rid of some players that were magically inserted in the roster/ Starting 11.

vs Mexico; Clark

vs Costa Rica ; Orozco and Castillo

vs Belgium; Rogers

vs Honduras; Orozco again

vs Ecuador; Tim Ream

vs France and Slovenia; I would like to think Beckerman and Goodson.
    One can hope.

2011 was a great year to get rid of some players that just couldn't cut it.
    2012 will be a much greater year because of this.
    Next year, I'd like to see
    (4-1-2-1-2)

Howard
    Chandler Boca Gooch Lichaj/Morales
    Jones/Bradley(CDM)
    Johnson (LW) Donovan(RW)
    Dempsey(AM)
    Altidore and Buddle.

Bench: Shea(Supersub) Williams(LB) John(CB) Edu(CDM) Adu(AM) Gomez(ST) Agudelo(Supersub)

20. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    My bad. You didn't.

21. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess it wasn't a beautiful day in your neighborhood because as far as I remember, Mr. Rogers was subbed into the Slovenia game very late. :D

22. Dezoeeee

Dezoeeee New Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Lol.
    Did he start?
    :D

23. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, but, at least the 10 seconds he was on the field counted. :D

24. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    It's a bit more complicated. You're talking about Matthias Sammer, who became Sportdirektor in early 2006, so he was even less important than Klinsmann for the first years of the rebuilding.

German youth soccer had been about winning in the "dark days", the players just weren't good enough to win; so first we had to produce better players.
    The technical and tactical schedules and the guidelines for the academies had been done before. Sammer saw his youth teams playing a free-flowing ball, everything looked nice; they just didn't win any tournaments yet in his first year in charge.

Sammer is a very conservative guy, and some kind of anti-Klinsmann. He also likes endless esoterical rants, but he's talking about blood, sweat and tears, "German virtues", and hierarchies on the field. He wants to identify leaders, team players and individualists at an early age, and thinks that mental development is as important as ball skills and tactical understanding.

The youth teams started to win tournaments after some time, but I doubt that had much to do with his ideas.

25. Jeff Bradley

Jeff Bradley Member+

Jun 3, 1999
    Manasquan, NJ on the beautiful Jersey Shore.
    Club:
    Le Havre AC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty even, fun, exciting game, imo.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56BNlRRkKY"]March 29, 2011: MNT vs PAR Highlights - YouTube[/ame]