Review: 2011: A year to Forget

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by EL MONO MARIO, Nov 17, 2011.

1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2011 will be marked as one of the worst years in the recent history of US soccer... With a National Team playing its worst soccer in ages, a head coach dismissal, and a future project riddled with questions...

The Bob Bradley era, ended on a very low note: 0-4 against Spain in a already elevated plea by US Soccer fans for a much more fluid and less passive national team. A Gold Cup which despite getting to the final the US never looked anything other than team in decline. Winning 3 games against some minos of World Football, Canada, Guadalupe, and squeaking by Panama on to a final in which up by 2 put the final nail in Bob Bradley's era as the US were not only defeated but RAN OFF the field by Mexico...

Thus ended the Bob Bradley era... One of the most successful eras of a coach in US Soccer but which was marred by the incompetence of US Soccer president Sunil Gulati taking months to elect him as coach. A style of play few liked despite, after seeing what came next, seems now like it was the way to go, and a weak World Cup which included one win against Algeria, a draw against England and a odd match against Slovenia, and an elimination against Ghana in extra time in the round of 16.

Enter the Jürgen Klinsmann era... A refreshing look at what can be done to break the shell of US Soccer....

At 2-4-1 The era has gotten of to a rocky start.... Despite the early enthusiasm Klinsmann's era has been shaky. A draw against Mexico and 4 1.0 defeats at the hands of Ecuador, Belgium, France and Costa Rica.... a win over Honduras and Slovenia, hardly World Soccers elite.

But the shaky start has not been without some good. JK's idea of building a more aggressive and more possession and fluid United States is what fans have been calling for for years.... There has been glimpses of that during games, as there has been huge spells where the US shows its soccer problems, TIMID, LACK OF CREATION, and GOALS....

Like many i was under the opinion that the US were tied down to a formation a mind set of 0 creativity that we have the players to be that team that JK wants. Today I must say that the change we all wanted has been painful to watch... A team that for over 15 years has been conservative all of a sudden now must be the aggressor. Even for JK the idea of just letting our team play has been harder than even he could have imagined.

There is much work to do... The US's change in style will not be an easy road and while the team is yet to play a GOOD 90 min or even look like a improved side the US is going in that direction....

It will be easier said than done and a lot harder than we imagined. As JK tries to break the US shell, and implement his style it may take a long time to see the US we all hope for.... The results have not been good on paper 4 defeats 2 wins, but on the field there has been a change.. The team TRY's to play better. Despite a poor performance against France, the US really has not looked good at all against an opponent with the minimal of soccer skill.

It is frustrating, nerve racking, and demoralizing but the US is a team in transition with A LOT of work to do.... Maybe more than we imagined.

As we close out 2011 the game with Slovenia brought Goals, a much better and fluid performance, and some bite, mixed with poor defense, almost 30 min in which the US gave the ball to the opponent. No it will not be easy but a win is a win and now JK has time to build on the future as slowly but surly he is building his core of guys... Today no one can question that Howard, Dolo, Bocanegra, Chandler, LD, Dempsey, Altidore, and Beckerman are the teams backbone... Now its time to build around them and build on that new style.

Yes 2011 was a year to forget... But also it was a year of HUGE change.... Hopefully 2012 will be the year we come back stronger and better than ever.... It will not be easy.. But soccer in the US never is...

2. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    This year sucked. Embarrassing performances against Spain, Paraguay, losing a Gold Cup home group game, and then getting mopped off the field by Mexico in the final.

We needed a change, and transitions suck. I don't agree with all the panic in this disco over Klinsmann. And the people whining about results are missing the point - this was a team needing an overhaul of style and personality. That was never going to happen without some ugliness. That's part of the change.

We'll see where 2012 takes us. Hopefully to better soccer, advancing to the hex, qualifying and acquitting ourselves in the Olympics.

3. Steve_in_LA

Steve_in_LA Member

Mar 18, 1999
    Ann Arbor
    If Beckerman is part of the backbone, this team is in for an even worse 2012.

4. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has played in all the games and is clearly a Klinsmann favorite.

5. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So? Castillo and Orozco Fiscal were Klinsmann's favorites as well. They eventually got pulled from the starting 11.

There's just no way Beckerman starts when qualifiers come around. No way.

6. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    After playing the talented forwards on the Belgium side, Klinsi remarked that Belgium was pouring through the middle of the USA like a sieve until he put Beckerman in the game at which point it stopped.

I think Klinsi wants to have Beckerman available for certain situations.

7. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    It's been pointed out that it had more to do with Altidore (exhausted from the start) being subbed off for a fit player, and changing the system from two wingers to one winger (Beckerman for Rogers).

8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A weak world cup, which included winning its group, which the US had done once in it's entire history. 1930 when the group had 3 teams and most of the European nations stayed home.

9. manq360

manq360 Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is some joy in that; however, the way we won was not great. It did not show an attractive playing style...we more or less stumbled into it. Now if all you want to do is win...which I am not knocking...then we could have kept BB. I know that sounds weird, but I was hoping we would move on to the next level and win by playing really well. Maybe we just don't have the personnel at this point. I don't want JK to get discouraged over our recent losses and fall back into the old style of play.

He needs to work out a lot of stuff, which I hope he takes this period of time to reflect. We all may be bitchin and complaining but I would like to see him continue to effect a transition into a really good team. I think we have the backbone, as mentioned in earlier note, now all he has to do is build on it.

10. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the World Cup was in 2010? ;)

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    This year I saw some of the best soccer the US has ever played. The France game was my favorite. Saw some of the worst also highlighted by the Spain game. Also got to see what the team can do without Donovan and Michael Bradley. Pretty encouraging stuff so far.

12. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    The most discouraging part of the year was that the general tenor of US performances didn't change pre/post-GC.

The same flaws that the US when playing possession football had breaking down a side under Bradley, as demonstrated against Paraguay and in the GC, were seen against Costa Rica, Belgium, Honduras and Ecuador under Klinsmann.

The same defensive flaws that appeared when the US tried to pour numbers forward, such as against Mexico in the GCF, appeared when Klinsmann tried the same against Slovenia.

Perhaps Klinsmann's less risky style, as epitomized by the difference between the performance against France compared to Bradley's Spain, is better suited for a US player pool on a temporary downswing.

Hopefully the player pool begins to improve in a way that allows Klinsmann some flexibility that neither he nor Bradley had in 2011.

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    US scored the same number of goals in the 7 friendlies of the Klinsmann era as the last seven of the Bradley era. US gave up 2 fewer goals. All that despite never being able to field Donovan and Dempsey together and playing 3 road games in Europe.

Looking forward to Holden, Adu, Cameron, John, and Kljestan getting some caps.

14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't bring it up, the original poster did.

15. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spinning our wheels in 2011.

1) Started the year with serious age/transition worries at CB, and really all along the back line. BB tried Ream, but it didn't work. JK brought in Orozco, but that didn't work, either. Interesting MLS guys like John, Gonzalez, and Cameron were ignored. Lichaj looked promising, but then got hurt. Chandler looked promising, but then struggled with some defending 101 issues. As far as the aging defense is concerned, 2011 was a major lost opportunity. Hopefully 2012 will provide some hope.

2) Started the year with an abundance of solid midfielders, especialy in the center, but the one guy everyone was counting on -- Holden thanks to his boffo 3/4ths of a season at Bolton -- was injured again, unable to make his mark with the Nats. Meanwhile, we've just played 12 months of musical chairs with nothing settled. Thankfully, we know there is some talent in the US midfield.

3) Started the year with only one marginally proven international forward -- Altidore. He still may be the only one. However, his good several months in Holland are a bright spot. Otherwise, the kids underwhelmed, Gomez was ignored, and Buddle hung around.

4) Started the year with a manager past his sell-by date, who struggled to inspire the team, and fiddled with a sluggish 5-man midfield. Replaced him with a sunny salesman having no experience with mediocre soccer players, who fiddled with a 5-man midfield and a conservative over-use of defensive midfielders.

A lot happened in 2011, although it was a lot of the same things over and over again.

Here's to 2012 and a bright new beginning!!!

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This is a major disappointment. Other than Camp Cupcake, the only new center backs tried out were Ream and Orozco*. And Klinsmann basically stuck with the Bob Bradley choices.

*Whitbread would be #3, but he got injured after BB called him up.

17. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first year after a World Cup should be a year to forget as a thorough investigation of the player pool is made and experiments are tried. The only crap thing about it that I hate is that the Gold Cup happens right away. It should take place right between World Cups, but that's another argument for another day...

Bob and JK investigated some options, tried a few things, and we have a few encouraging stories going on now.

Since I was already expecting an abysmal 2011 the only down part for me would be that the defense is still a big BIG question mark. However, I keep in mind that at the end of 2007 the U.S. midfield was still a big BIG question mark.

In short, in JK we trust because we won't have any idea of how things are truly shaping up until the hex.

Pray with me. ;)

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that true? Good gracious, I'm actually stunned if it is. A very interesting starting point indeed.

19. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Unfortunately the comparison is disadvantageous for Klinsmann when spun in a different direction.

Bradley played Brazil, Poland, Colombia, South Africa (A), Argentina, Paraguay and Spain.
    Klinsmann played Mexico, Costa Rica, Belgium (A), Honduras, Ecuador, France (A), Slovenia (A).

Bradley had the tougher schedule, but Klinsmann had the tougher away matches.
    Bradley had more home matches but had 0 gimmes, while Klinsmann had 2 gimmes.
    Bradley went 1-3-3, Klinsmann went 2-1-4.

And the big difference is: Bradley's 7 matches went over a 10 month span, while Klinsmann's were over 3 months. So it's a flawed comparison in the first place.

20. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be the optimist, usual for me.:)

A look at the discoveries, rediscoveries and revelations:

The real deal?

Chandler
    Shea
    Johnson

Solid and useful:

Beckerman
    Buddle
    Adu
    Beasley
    Torres

Interesting but too soon to tell:

Williams

Questionable but young:

Orozco
    Ream
    Castillo

21. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    I just want to see Gonzalez, John , and Cameron get meaningful minutes in 2012.

22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    By definition 2011 was a rebuilding year.

Many people thought that when Bradley was replaced with Klinsmann.............we were going to initially take a step backwards in order to take two steps forward by 2014 (and beyond).

Now that it's actually happened, people act like they're shocked and horrified.

Klinsmann is evaluating all sorts of players like Beckerman and Orozco Fiscal. I'm sure we'll see plenty more headscratchers. By the time the WCQers rolls around (and by that I obviously mean the real WCQ------the hex) Jurgen will hopefully have a set lineup that makes sense to the majority of us. Until then we need to let him experiment with lineups, formations, callups, etc.

23. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game you most enjoyed was the game the US did not create a SINGLE chance on goal....:confused:

Strange....

24. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really question THIS line of thinking... That the US problems can be solved by the guys that are NOT there....

Every coach, on every team picks HIS players.... For the exception of Holden, the rest are LONG shots.... VERY LONG shots... I think the US has its back bone like I mentioned in the first post. Whether the fans like it or not. This seems to be the guys JK will mold the team around...

Maybe Holden, maybe Mix, maybe Shea (who during these 4 years will be the wild card) can become stand outs... In defense maybe Omar Gonzalez......

In attack maybe Agudelo tears it up or Bunbury....

But after that few are any real options to be GROUND breaking.... I just don't see the US or any national team during a 4 year course change DRAMATICALLY from one core group to another.... I think JK has HIS GUYS....

25. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't say REAL WCQ.... Because this team has struggled already against the likes of Panama and Honduras.. This WCQ be it ANY round will NOT be easy for a team in transition like the US.... If not look at Argentina they field Messi and struggle. DO NOT UNDER ESTIMATE the US weak points...