2011-2012 Serie A campaign (R)

Discussion in 'Lazio' started by phillips10, Aug 27, 2010.

1. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    alright, new season, new thread...new hopes. Hernanes is here, Ledesma is happy..Reja has his system in place. The key IMO is Zarate, he needs to play with the cutting edge. He should have better service with 2 central players that can pass and Floccari active up top.

Might see a 3-5-2 in the opener at Samp:

Lazio (probable): Muslera; Biava, Dias, Radu; Lichtsteiner, Brocchi, Ledesma, Garrido; Hernanes, Zarate; Floccari

preview:
    http://www.football-italia.net/sa1011/sam-laz.html

2. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Re: 2010-2011 Serie A campaign (R)

Garrido is already missing the first week at least. It's a shame because he had a good preseason with the short time he had with Lazio.

Floccari: The player to watch for us is Floccari. Floccari was outstanding last season scoring 8 goals in half a season as mentioned. Those goals were NOT sitters and a lot of skill on the ground and in the air was used to grab these goals. I consider him and Reja the revival of Lazio last season. Floccari is great and deserves a call up from the national team. I am confident if he keeps it up, that wouldn't be a problem.

Zarate: A key player in Lazio's recent success of two seasons ago where he took this team to a higher level than what could of been without him. Two seasons ago was his year. He needed that contract and played out of his mind in that season. Lazio fans were convinced we got a rising star who may become a world class player. Last season Lotito and management depended on Zarate a lot and did not pull through for us. In fact, Zarate was terrible and only scored 3 goals which were early in the season. He wasted oppertunities, couldn't fly by defenders anymore and minimul passes resulted. This season will be make or break on his reputation to Lazio fans and to the clubs around the world of what he is capable of.

Hernanes already has the name the prophet coming from Brasil. He was Sao Paolo's number 10 player for many years and the divorce between them was emotional. A very loyal player to his club and already has ambitions to take Lazio to Europe and become a Lazio icon. He was named the top prospect of all soccer from a respected british newspaper. He is Lazio's big signing this season and will have a lot of eyes on him.

Ledesma finally re-signs with Lazio after such a headache. A player who I think is surely overrated, but calcio and Lazio management rates him quite highly. Ledesma recently made the 30 man short list of being called up to the Azzurri and now Lazio fans can all hope he steps up his game for personal incentives of making the azzurri squad. With Tomasso Rocchi likely to be on the bench, Ledesma may be our new starting 11 captain.

Tomasso Rocchi has been with Lazio through thick and thin and is our real captain. He sticks up for Lazio on and off the pitch and scores important goals for us. His name is floating around the transfer market every so often as it's believed that his age will catch up to him sooner than later and would like to recieve a nice amount of money in return. I think personally that Rocchi has the right to retire at Lazio if he chooses so. I do not want to see him and go and I would be happy if Rocchi is willing to come off the bench for us should Zarate regain his form.

Brocchi was one of the bright spots last season with a gritty hard working midfielder to pressure the attacking midfields to give them less time to think on the ball and to win those needed tackles around the box. He ran very hard for Lazio and showed great desire to compete with Lazio in the start 11. I hope that Brocchi can repeat his efforts in the new season.

Lichsteiner is coming off a somewhat bad season to his standards following a superb world cup. Two seasons ago with the rest of the team he had a great season with Lazio. Lichsteiner made De Silvestri look unworthy of a starting 11 spot two seasons ago which made De silvestri upset with himself and the club which he then found a new setting in Fiorentina. Lichsteiners pace, tackles and bravery on the field has won the hearts on many azzurri fans and we hope he can continue being an asset to our team.

Radu along with the other defense has been a great surprise in 2010 and showed that he is a solid defender. He had a lot of expectations when he signed for Lazio and it is now paying off. Though he is injury prone, should Radu have another fantastic season, he should be on big clubs radar as Kolarov did.

Dias was a key component in luring in Hernanes as they had both come from Sao Paolo. He assured Hernanes it was a great commuity, city and a prestigous team that would be ideal for Hernanes to grow in. Dias when he first came to Lazio looked like a complete mess. I had major doubts about Dias and looked very incappable. As the season progressed, Dias started to get comfortable with the Lazio environment and starting to perform at a very respectable rate. Dias is a small man, but surely is not shy of heading the ball and is often found in the heart of set piece plays.

Stendardo also coming off a bitter case with Lotito has apologized to the team and the management for issues that were never really revealed and quicly was in the Lazio defense. Stendardo being raised in the Biancocelesti youth academy has shown his great passion for Lazio. His game is very underrated as he has a very accurate and hard tackle while being very strong in the air. I was quiet releaved when he came back to Lazio as I saw a player who wanted to be proven again which resulted in a fantastic season. As Dias, he is found in the heart of set plays.

Biava is the weakest link in defense for Lazio, yet he is highly regarded by Edy Reja for unknown reasons. He is constantly the reason for goals against Lazio and has no specific strength about his game. This is our one great fault in our line-up.

Muslera coming off a good world cup as Uruguay reached the semi-finals to a very controversial Holland match. He had a great season for Lazio last season with full confidence from Lazio management. Muslera had constantly been thanking for Lazio for making him the player he is today and is grateful to Lazio for the international level experience of performing well in the world cup for a semi final finish. Muslera has been a great addition to us and hopefully he can continue his outstanding form with Lazio.

A little review from me and I cannot predict what place Lazio will finish this season. I can only hope for a European spot but last season really made me more pessimistic about Lazio than I had ever felt. Forza Lazio and other player I should type about, just say.

3. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well that was frustrating. Concede two soft goals while getting none of our own.

4. arun10

arun10 Member

May 31, 2005

Hernanes was superb today!!!!great debut game...

5. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

Decent showing by Lazio but again good showings + no goals + making crucial mistakes = another road loss. Hernanes looked good a trident of him, Zarate and Floccari can be dangerous. Foggia should start over Del Nero who played decent but a player of Foggia's quality should be playing over an average player like Del Nero.

The midfield was well organized and with Ledesma, Matuzalem along with Hernanes we were able to keep possession and create opportunities through the middle rather than launching countless hopeless crosses.

The PK was questionable, not much to say, they're usually not given but sometimes those calls go against you on the road.

This team has potential, we outplayed a team that haven't lost at home in almost 2 years. Things are looking up but this team needs a stronger character, a team that can handle adversary and grind out results rather than a team who plays well but can't get the results they need.

6. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

agreed with Rob, the midfield trio can possess and especially Hernanes can create.

Gotta finish and stop conceding softer goals. Muslera needs to show that WC form. Perhaps we are missing a bit of grit too...

7. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Muslera was having a great game before he fumbled that ball to Sampdoria. It truly was uncharacteristic.

Agreed with Rob about the game in the middle. Lazio were really trying to pull through attacks in the middle of the pitch rather than sending it down the wings every play like how many teams rely on. I hope we can continue to play through the middle and not give it to Lichsteiner to cross or Del Nero.

Del Nero is a more defnsive tactic that Reja put on instead of Foggia. Apparently Lazio management always thinks Foggia is just an offensive player when I have seen him preiviously get back and defend.

Its the good teams in Serie A that play a crappy game and still scrape out a win. On sunday that is what Sampdoria did and Lazio will need to do. Despite a good performance we did not play it for 90 minutes. Lazio were really calm and brought the game to Sampdoria for most of the game. Its a shame because in the first half cassano and pazzini couldn't do anything. Looking for next week and another flashy performance from Hernanes

8. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

one match in and Reja's changing formations....if this was an option I'm not sure why they didnt bring in a CB in the mercato.

http://www.football-italia.net/sa1011/laz-bol.html

Lazio (probable): Muslera; Lichtsteiner, Biava, Dias, Radu; Brocchi, Ledesma, Matuzalem; Hernanes, Zarate; Rocchi

9. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Floccari out for this match.

Reja is doing a huge huge mistake putting in Biava before Stendardo. Our best CB is benched for our worst defender.

A CB in the mercato? .. yea, it would have been nice but I don't think we are desperate really. Our worst defender is Biava now that Siviglia and Cribari are gone. On a good day Diakite can be unbeatable so I won't relegate him before Biava who game in game out just gets burnt.

Look out for Hernanes and Zarate this game as these two will start off their campaigns against a weaker team. This should be the game where they break the ice and gain confidence.

Unless Biava's errors and incompetence can't be saved by others nearby, Bologna shouldn't score this game.

10. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

well I think Radu is our best CB but he's needed on the left until Garrido gets healthy/fit. I'm thinking 2-1 victory because we are just not good enough in the back to keep a clean sheet. This should be Hernanes day as you've said...

11. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Lazio (probable): Muslera; Lichtsteiner, Biava, Dias, Radu; Brocchi, Ledesma, Mauri; Hernanes, Zarate; Rocchi

Its said that Brocchi Ledesma and Mauri will get the flat 3 midfield this game.Its Reja's tactic that these 3 are midfielders that can contain and defend and wants these 3 midfielders to just maintain its zones. Hernanes is the fourth midfielder that will be free and will receive most of the balls to be the one creating for the strikers. Reja has given Hernanes the freedom to do whatever he wants to add creativity to the attack and will be depended on solely on that. Reja is sacrifing 3 midfielders back to cover for Hernanes to have the attacking mind to set up everything. Expect game from Hernanes Zarate.

Floccari is out for the Viola game next week, so this will probably be the lineup for next week also once we dominate Bologna tomorrow.

12. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First three points of the season! While there was a lot to be happy about, Maurito and our defense has me worried. Zarate needs to pull his head out of his ass and the defense can't give up late chances like Paponi's. Other players would bury that chance.

Bring on Fiorentina.

13. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Our first win coming from a weaker team at home. This is exactly what I expected and Bologna played it very tight at the back making life difficult for Lazio. Bologna had just draw Inter Milan the previous week so I would have expected a bit more confidence from Bologna.

It was only until the last half hour of the game that finally Bologna got caught looking. It wasn't as if Bologna didnt have their guys back but the Brocchi->Rocchi->Mauri combo went so fast and so accordingly that Bologna was enjoying the show and we took advantage. From then Bologna tried to open the game up a bit more and got bit by another nice Mauri->Rocchi finish to put us ahead two.

Mudinguays goal was a superb shot and it had to be perfect to get away from a diveing Muslera. A Hernanes PK put the game away.

Zarate again couldn't do anything but give possession away. This is getting to a great concern seeing he couldn't do nothing against Bologna. It will only get tougher for Zarate and theres questions about his future at Lazio (if any club out there is willing to purchase).

Hernanes playing a decent game against a below average team. I would like to see a bit more dominance from Hernanes but he is playing fine so far as he is just two games in from playing in the tactical Serie A. This game he made some nice passes, got fouled near Bologna's box and again made some flashy moves. Hernanes was seem at times hogging the ball and tried to make that extra deke but if that meant advancing to a greater spot on the field and entering a danger zone then Reja has no problem with that. For all, Hernanes did get the go ahead from Reja in doing what he wants to improve the attack as he wants.

Great game and hopefully we can go to Fiorentina and walk out with 3 points.

14. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

not feeling great about the match at fiorentina, thinking a 2-1 defeat but we shall see....I dont think Reja has quite got the starting 11 right yet and even more worrying is this Zarate mess.

15. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

FIORENTINA (4-2-3-1): Frey 1, 29 De Silvestri, Kroldrup 2, 5 Gamberini, Pasqual 23; Montolivo 18, 15 Zanetti, 24 Cerci, 22 Ljajic, 6 Vargas, Gilardino 11

LAZIO (4-4-1-1): 86 Muslera, 2 Lichtsteiner, 20 Biava, 3 Dias, 26 Radu, 6 Mauri, Matuzalem 11, Ledesma 24, 23 Bresciano; Hernanes 8, 9 Rocchi

Besides home advantage, Fiorentina has nothing on us. Actually, Lazio play better away than home so I take that back. I think we will see a nice performance from Bresciano tomorrow.

Expect a tie for tomorrow, if Floccari was in we would probably be able to take this easy. Vargas or bust for Fiorentina and that is no secret. Gilardino is alright in serie a, but his gameplay makes me laugh. It will be a comedy show from Gila and a good soccer game at the same time.

The only concern I ave since Floccari is out is our attack. Hernanes really has to show me something spectacular because he is almost our 2nd second striker this game and Tomasso Rocchi cannot create by himself.

They arn't even playing Marchionni and I can't see how Viola can score. I'm thinking they hoof it up to Gilardino, he falls down and hits him in the face loose ball goes to Vargas to slot home or a deflection loose ball in front of Muslera for Gilardino to snake in and score. I don't think Lazio will have their hands full to defend either. Vargas vs Bresciano and Radu on the left it seems.

This game should be hard to break through on both ends and I can see a 1-1 draw.

16. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Woo. Another three points! Mauri continues to play well, creating two goals today. MOTM.

17. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Great game by Lazio. As I expected a win or tie. Though Bresciano disappointed me. Good for him to get himself in a good position in front of goal but he forgets he has to shoot it on net and not 20 feet above it. I expected a stronger performance from him.

Great game Radu and Lichsteiner as they kept trying to get the bal deep in the flanks. Biava has shown me some great things lately, finally I am not worried with him in.

For Fiorentina.. great game by.... uhhh .. ? ? koldrup played good i guess.
    A nice dive over Ledesma arm by Cerci was Fiorentina's way in for a Penelty Shot. Nice. Fioretina kept on putting in crap lobs and corner kicks that couldn't even get over anyone's head 80% of the time. Not surprised they only have 1 point so far.

18. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

he's been a nice surprise. great road win, keep it going v milan..

19. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Couldnt catch this game. Weekdays are hard to watch for me. I havnt missed a Lazio game in quite some time. It's too bad, i've heard Biava having a fantastic game along with Hernanes. I watched the highlights and Floccari's goal just proved to me more of how great he is. Serie A's most underrated player. His finishing is superb A1.

Next game is in Chievo. I want Lazio to take off in the start so we can still compete for Europa League if/when we dip in form later in the season.

Forza Lazio!

20. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

didnt see it either but by all accounts the young defender Cavanda did well at RB...nice to see him and Kozak making an impact already.

3 pts at Chievo and we've got something now..

21. squadra_azzurri

squadra_azzurri Member+

Aug 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Another good win in my opinion from Lazio against a really tight Chievo. Going to Verona with Chievo at the time at the top of the league was never going to be a walk in the park.

Lazio were the one's posing any real threat to the game and Biava and Dias once again gets the job done, the whole back line actually did well again also. After Zarate missing 3 great oppertunities( miss breakaway, hit post, missed open goal) he finally husseled out a goal and gave Lazio three important road points. Hoping he can regain some form from the first season with us as he was unstoppable(Coppa Italia Suppercoppa).

Hernanes didn't play to expectations after the Milan game. He was very tightly marked by many Chievo players. As a result, Hernanes had no room to turn as he always wants more than a couple of touches every possession he gets which saw him turn the ball over.

Another bad game from Bresciano off the bench. Disappointing, he did not do anything right. Brocchi again playing a tough defensive midfield role and really helped out during some scary moments. A pleasure to have him in our team.

Next home to Brescia and I expect only a win.

22. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls

things are really rolling now. If they can get Zarate performing at his best, watchout the sky could be the limit..

23. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

Seriously Zarate finally scoring after all his chances hopefully will give him the confidence he needs going forward. His turn and shot off the post was a sign that he might be regaining the form he had in his rookie season.

Really dominated a solid Chievo squad who have been giving opponents fits. Mauri has really stepped up his game this season, MIP by far. Dias and Biava really giving us a solid backbone, their physical play has really made things uncomfortable for opposing attackers.

Next 3 games are all winnable though a draw @Bari would be a decent result. 7 points from the next 3 will put us in good position going forward.

24. MrHobbles

MrHobbles Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Linden and San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I didn't see the game today, 6AM start here in CA. :(

But I've been watching the replay of the goal all day long. :cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM6pU4L9ZGs"]YouTube - Lazio-Brescia 1-0 Mauri Goal - 6^ Giornata Serie A - 03.10.2010[/ame]

So sweet.

25. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma

Another win puts us at the top of the table. Hernanes with some wonderful skill to release Mauri. Mauri has been great. His play last season left alot to be desired but the addition of Hernanes and the return of Ledesma has given him the opportunity to make timely runs and to get into good positions. Last season Mauri was getting the ball to feet and asked to beat defenders and distribute the ball around the edge of the area. Right now he's our Perrotta, with less defensive ability but he can finish unlike Perrotta.

The defense was good, Muslera made a great save off a good strike by Eber.

Nice result against a scrappy Brescia side. Tough game at Bari next week but morale has to be high atm and this is not a team we should fear.