2011/12 Tadanari Lee @ Southampton F.C. (ENG) Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japanese Abroad' started by SamuraiBlue2002, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Hehe, maybe i should rephrase myself: I said he is more or less in his prime, and by that I meant that there is still a lot of football left in him. Its not that long ago he was a regular for Villa, before they signed Bent for about 20 million pounds or something.

His problem has always been off-the-pitch stuff anyway, like his recently released fashion-brand, that takes away some of the focus from his desire to perform on the pitch.

anyway the point was if a merited and relatively young ( he's still only 32) player like Carew can't manage to become a regular for a Championship-team, we can't expect Lee to be it either at this stage of his Southampton-career.

2. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Did I really write that? :eek: How could I have missed the Tunisian! Well, perhaps because he hasn't played so far this season... Anyway, apologies to Jaidi, and I hope he gets well soon.

3. nipponbasse83

nipponbasse83 Member+

Jun 17, 2007
    Ichikawa, Chiba, Japan
    Club:
    Consadole Sapporo
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    He went to Bolton at the end of his career, and despite him still being young we could see that his motivation weren't good. The same happened in Fiorentina, and the only place he was actually good was with Roma and Parma, but that was way before he came to England.

4. danofsteele

danofsteele Member

Jan 1, 2012
    London
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    There is at least one African in our squad at the moment... ;)

If you look back to our Premier League/Division days, we were famous for bringing in low cost foreign players and turning them in to top class talents. Marian Pahars is a prime example of this.

Some other players, off the top of my head; Hassan Kachloul (African ;)), Egil Østenstad, Claus Lundekvam, Eyal Berkovic, Kenwyne Jones...

5. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It has been widely perceived that Nakata didn't do well while at Bolton as of their long-ball style back then (under Sam Allardyce btw) with the ball flying over his head. At Fiorentina he had issues with the coach (Prandelli?) who wanted to play him as a defensive mid if memory serves me right. I think he had these issues at Parma as well (where Prandelli was his coach too).

6. Whispered11

Whispered11 Member+

U.C. Sampdoria
    Japan
    Oct 4, 2011
    Munich, Germany
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    At Fiorentina the situation was complicated. In 2004, they regained the Serie A and they were almost relegated, they saved themselves in the last match.
    Prandelli was his coach in Parma, not in Florence, where there were first Mondonico, then Buso, then Zoff.

7. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    My bad, yes Prandelli was his coach in Parma, and after Nakata joined Fiorentina, he left for Bolton in 2005 when it turned out Prandelli would join too.

8. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Lee is one of three attacking options on the bench this afternoon for Southampton against Derby at St Marys. The Lambert/Sharp partnership continues upfront.

9. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    ...Agustin Delgado... :rolleyes:

10. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    And he scored his first goal ! and a good one apparently (I feel bad for people who went on arguments in length :eek:).

11. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Wonderful, is there any link for the stream. He's been on since HT for Sharp.

I'd love it if he did a purple archer celebration.

12. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Unfortunately not but just wait for the japanese netizen to be all over the place and find something real quick

13. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think the good thing about that argument was that both sides want Lee to succeed :cool:

Anyway, this is unfamiliar... good news from England :D

14. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  15. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    REALLY nice goal!

16. KATO

KATO Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Manchester
    Club:
    Urawa RD
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Fantastic goal! It's been an awesome week so far, Lee then Miyaichi and apparently Yoshida even scored!

17. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    What a sweet strike! Pity there was no purple archer celebration. Perhaps he's saving that for future occasions. :)
    Pure speculation but... Southampton were 1-0 up at halftime and cruising. Did Adkins take Sharp off because he was not having a big impact (didn't sound like he was), or because he wanted to see what Lee could do? Perhaps both, but it's good that Lee was called ahead of Puncheon and Connolly, and that he took his chance.
    Adkins keeps stressing that he plans to involve the whole squad in rotation. Let's hope Lee will be rotated in more than out! :D

18. Owen-za

Owen-za Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Post-match quotes from the manager (obviously still having trouble with the names of all his new players ;)) -

"Then you have Tadanari Lee's goal - what a strike that was! ...I thought it would be the right time tactically to go and introduce Chung into the game for that bit of energy. Billy [Sharp] has done ever so well for us and I have high hopes for him, but I have high hopes for Chung too..."

More pics of Lee than any other Southampton player on the website (sorry, I don't know how to capture them). Adkins doesn't look too unhappy with him...

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/Gallery/0,,10280~2615828,00.html

19. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I'm happy Lee scored and apparently did well. Adkins sounded good in the comments, except for one comment he made.

That's not as encouraging. He'll probably stay on the bench next game by the sounds of this.

20. danofsteele

danofsteele Member

Jan 1, 2012
    London
    Club:
    Southampton FC
  21. danofsteele

danofsteele Member

Jan 1, 2012
    London
    Club:
    Southampton FC
  22. stefanole

stefanole Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hiroshima
    Club:
    Sanfrecce Hiroshima FC
    As I understand it, the romanization of his Korean name is Lee Chung-Sung, so it's not incorrect, and it would be like calling Park Ji-Sung just Ji. I'm told it's quite common for people with Korean names to just use the first name in the USA though, for example. He was called Chunson in Hiroshima because this is the closest Japanese transcription and he obviously likes being called by his old Korean name.

The u in Chunson is pronounced like a short version of the oo in "moon" and the o like the o in "on", so maybe Chung would be pronounced "Choong", but I don't know Korean pronunciation or if he really cares. :D

23. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    AWESOME strike!

btw, why would he be offended, since he name is Lee Chung-Sung?

In this weekend, along with Lee's, Ryo, Okazaki, Yoshida and Havenaar all scored a goal. Did I forget anyone else?

24. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    :eek:

Good for Lee. He's going to have to fight for a place, it's completely natural, and he made a good first step.