2011/12 Home/Away Jersey

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jolieandbecks, Mar 29, 2011.

1. KATref

KATref Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Stow, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I don't find it surprising that 2000 people have lousy taste. Or believe what they are sold. Go advertising!:rolleyes:

I think they looked even worse live on players actually playing. Can't wait to see the Star Trek version now that I've seen the Naughty Nurse ones. :p

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have a problem w/ the dark shirts (well, not much of one). The collar is a bit too high for my tastes. And the faux V-neck is silly. But it isn't nearly as bad as the Nurse shirt.

They've got a nice, red training shirt if folks want to purchase USWNT gear...

3. Blobfish

Blobfish Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Oh-h, I really hate modern women's soccer uniform. It's so baggy and unfitting. 25-40 years before women had better looking uniforms. Here is good sample, how women's soccer uniform must be:
    [​IMG]
    These girls look yet very feminine and pretty.

4. scubasoccer

scubasoccer New Member

Jul 7, 2011
    camel toe and all:eek: :p

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. custar

custar Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Bonus.

7. shewelch

shewelch New Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    We need new women's national team uniforms before the Olympics!!!

Can we put that as rider on the WPS petition???

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    So... umm... didn't see this coming for the ladies.

[​IMG]

9. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Why do all the publicity shots feature glowing armpits? Is there some symbolism that I'm missing?

10. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    It's the new Nike STAR Galatical Swoosh base layer.

11. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Amazingly, "Waldo and Wenda go to the Olympics" is still better than "Your Spa Therapist is Ready for the World Cup".

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'd rather have a woman approach me looking like a spa therapist over a candy cane.

13. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Now where's your Christmas spirit?!

14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    How long have we been expecting new uniforms for the women? I knew the men were scheduled for it and had been waiting months for the official reveal.

15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Am I the only one old enough to look at those and immediately think "Beagle Boys?"

Edit-- maybe too senile-- I can't find any images of the horizontal striped Beagle Boys unis I thought I was remembering...

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Stars and stripes, red, blue, and white? What were they thinking when they came up with a kit like that :rolleyes:. lol, the new kit seems more odd than usual, because for the first time in a long time, it actually makes the most sense.

I think for the folks here what really pushes this kits design into the confusing category, is Nike's use of something rarely seen in corporate decisions. This of course being the use of simple common sense, by having the men and women wear the same damn design. Crazy, huh :D. All thanks to Wambach's late late show, the USWNT suddenly go from hospital scrubs and Star Trek black widow villainesses, to athletic egalitarian patriots?

With the coronation of Morgan, and the confusion of a new kit based on common sense, does this mean the USWNT identity crisis is now officially over? If yes, WOW, what a difference a goal makes :rolleyes:.

17. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're nice jerseys. They are. A tiny bit FC Dallasish, but with better hoops. I will say that I am not used to hoops for USNT jerseys. However, after the post above, it makes sense. The stripes of the flag. I'm sure I'm the only one who missed the symbolism.

I'm trying to mentally take it forward another level and imagine the shoulders done in blue with white stars. That mightbe pushing it, though. I wish I had a good program to articulate that idea.

Not bad, US Soccer. They are growing on me quickly. And kudos for dropping that weird quasi-robe-cut from before.

18. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they're great (yes, I do understand the symbolism) as I prefer simpler jerseys with more solids rather than stripes. For ex., I like France's old WWC kit - maybe in a nice red to differentiate - or the new black and orange Netherlands jersey (men's, I believe). It's better than the previous one though.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I'm not a fan of stripes or hoops because I like having authentic jerseys. With authentic jerseys, those pesky LOTG say numbers must be legible so manufacturers interrupt the design where numbers go on the jersey. I also prefer having blank jerseys to represent the team instead of an individual player. With this type of design I'm forced to add a number or have an incomplete looking jersey.

20. Zap9

Zap9 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    baja Arizona
    I posted this over at Equalizer earlier today...

First, I’m very much in favor of both the men’s and women’s sides wearing the same design, even if the aesthetics are a little questionable. But I find it some combination of odd and irritating that the unifying design element is the sash instead of the two stars. The women have won two World Cups and three Olympic gold medals, but the only “achievement” memorialized on both jerseys is that one time the men beat England, in one WC group stage game, 62 years ago. If they’re going to have the women essentially say YAY 1950 every time they suit up, is it too much to ask that the men say HEY WORLD CUP CHAMPS with a couple of stars above the crest?

I know, stupid question. But if we’re going to immortalize single games, I’m all for keeping the sash if they also embroider “122″ under the collar on both the men’s and women’s shirts.

21. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    In my humble opinion, these new kits are a mixed bag.

On the plus side, I like when the men's and women's teams wear the same jersey design (tailored different obviously), for national solidarity's sake. Most other countries already do this. For this reason, I guess I'm fine with the USWNT wearing the sash too - it's honoring a unified tradition (yes, I know the U.S. didn't have a women's team until 1985, and yes I understand it elevates one isolated game in 1950 up on a pedestal). This is minor, but I also appreciate that the front numbers are now in the center of the chest. It gives the shirt a more symmetrical look than the old ones, where the number was way up by the right shoulder and looked lopsided. Finally, it seems appropriate that we are back to wearing our actual national colors. The whole "black widow" business, like the glittering gold of 2007 before it, was silly.

To address sitruc's concern, the US Soccer Store appears to be selling number-specific jerseys as well as generic ones with no blank space for the number.

On the negative side, I almost always prefer solid colors to busy-looking stripes, especially horizontal ones. France's 2011 WWC jersey was beautiful and classy because it was simple. Most of the USWNT's great triumphs over the years have come wearing all white. I always thought FC Dallas' kit was clunky, and that's essentially what this is. The Waldo and candy cane comparisons are equally apt - take your pick! That said, Megan Rapinoe looks pretty cool all decked out in her stripes and her armpit strobe lights!

http://nikeinc.com/news/nike-soccer...womens-national-soccer-team-kits#/inline/9958

Ismitje repped this.
  22. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    What's the significance of "122", Zap? Am I missing something obvious?

23. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Are the strobe lights an additional cost or standard?

question - are there just two scheduled games before the oly's start???

24. Zap9

Zap9 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    baja Arizona
    Wambach's goal in the 122nd minute v. Brazil.

25. Parrothead FC

Parrothead FC Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a really, really bad kit, but I guess like all US kits it won't last long.