(2011.08.10) Kirin Challenge Cup 2011: Japan x Korea [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by OneiroPhobia, Jul 17, 2011.

1. theofaron

theofaron Member

May 11, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Great performance by our team. The short passing game was really on. Honda's finishing was really off, despite his one goal. But on the ball he was good. The team played quite smart, really. Defensive line broke late in the second half, no? We were in real danger for a while, especially one fluffed pass that led to a quick run forward by the Korean team. After that I think the defense let us down and gave too many chances.

It's hard to pick a man of the match as most of the team were very, very solid. Although if I had to pick one it'd probably be Kagawa. Kiyotake and Lee were also bright spots. Komano and Makino who I thought were going to be disasters actually played quite well. Well, Makino did in his first few minutes as a sub at least.

2. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That was a world class performance until Komano & Hasebe got subbed. But it was no surprise that an out-of-shape Makino and Abe weren't going to be as good as Komano and Hasebe. Abe wasn't too bad, and did enough for a substitute.
    Good to see Komano back. More than adequate sub for Nagatomo.

3. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010
  4. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    JAPAN WINS 3-0! CONGRATULATIONS! They extend their unbeaten streak and won against their archrivals South Korea! 2 goals by Kagawa, 1 by Honda.

What I like about this is that all for attacking players, 1 CF (Lee) 3 AMF (Honda, Kagawa and Okazaki/Kiyotake) were all involved in the goals. Lee assisted Kagawa in the first goal and Kiyotake assisted for Honda and Kagawa's 2nd. Kiyotake subbed in for Okazaki. Okazaki only got to playing til the 24th after an injury, but I hope he's alright, probably just a scare. I don't want him to risk any injuries.

I caught the game from 19th minute. it started shaky, alot of chances near goal, yet weren't able to scored. Kagawa's goal changed that. afterwards, in the 2nd half, they were better in attacking plays. Lee was unlucky not to score. He's wasn't bad at all. Honda, at the beginning, his low shot disappoint me in the first half. but he scored a nice goal, it was so fast, Komano moved up from the left and shoot, parried by GK to kiyotake who pass unexpectedly to Honda who just took one glance and shoot, GOAL! His last free kick from the right field was so nice, it would've crept in from the top.

Uchida attempt was quite something. He moved from the center of our half and kept the ball while running straight into the center of their field and shot at the edge of the box. it hit the post, but how amazing was his effort.

towards the final quarter, I was disappointed in Japan's play as well, mainly the defense. I believe they could've done a better job not letting in too many attacks from the opposition. South Korea was really pressuring Japan, though. But Japan really should've defended better and not give them so much chances. Kawashima was great between the post, making some very nice saves. especially from the bump from Konno and a SK player.

5. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    With Honda's goal, I was glad it was 2-0. But I was hoping Komano would score it. He hasn't scored for the JNT yet, and he more than deserves a few to his name.

6. theofaron

theofaron Member

May 11, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    I so wish Uchida's shot had gone in. :mad:

7. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Naoki power!

3 goals for #3 Matsuda is fitting I think. I'm happy with the result, hope they can keep up the firepower, and tighten up the defense.

8. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    That was a strong statement. When we play like that ... there's nothing we can't do. 2014, we're coming.

9. Premiere

Premiere Member

May 23, 2005
    Am I only the one who doesn't care about Korean anymore? They have been never even an opponent in WCQs for long and I think we already have too many friendly matches with them. The most explicit example is that East Asian bullshit. Aside of the youth team, there is even very little old score to pay off.

I'd rather consider Australia as our biggest opponent. Not only that they're perhaps the strongest of all Asia nations, but also consider what happened in 2006.

The only possible merit I can see is we're not so good at their (traditional) style, but even it's spoiled by their current coach who seems to be WANNABE Barca.Really don't care about Korea, really, but why JFA sets up regularly friend matches? So boring.

10. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Probably yes. Korea is BY FAR better than Australia. What old score do we have to settle with Australia? Or is preventing their NT Golden generation from an international continental trophy TWICE in a row not do it for you?

Korea are our biggest rivals on the pitch, our main east asian rival, the pair Japan-Korea represent the best two teams in Asia. A win like this against ROK is very big.

11. Flaight

Flaight Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Obviously the regulars were better in the 1st half but Kiyotake and Tadanari didn't look out of place and played like they've been in it for 6+ months. I like that. Ienaga looked like he didn't know what he was supposed to do tho.

12. theofaron

theofaron Member

May 11, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Well you might not care about them, but Korea is one of the best teams AFC right now. A friendly against Korea is much easier logistically as they're only a 3 hr plane ride away. But it's really about the 3 at the top, Japan, Korea, and Australia. You do have a point that Japan and Korea play each other too much.

13. uhdfkwncvbgtyhu89

Nov 27, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    JNT is like a Shinkansen with latest generation Honda engine, also, no breaks :D

14. Flaight

Flaight Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Talking of Korea's side one thing that sticks out for me is how much time they spend lingering in the midfield. Usually I'd expect immense pressure directly on backline and almost bypassing midfield at times but looked like a different side to me.

15. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    A big point about this game was the performance of Endo.

He's had a bit of criticism in the past few games about his pace. But tonight he was absolute class, and it was obvious the drop of ability when Ienaga came in. Ienaga may be a good winger, but for the JNT CM position he's got nothing on Endo.

16. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  17. theofaron

theofaron Member

May 11, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Did you see the play where he was about to have a run forward? I think Honda's pass was a bit too heavy. But my jaw dropped when I saw it was Endo running forward and I lol'ed :D

18. Flaight

Flaight Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Yeah and it was clear when he went out as the ball stoped rolling well and we were sometimes hoofing the ball to release pressure.

19. Flaight

Flaight Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Yeah me too it was going well so he must have taken a chance to try do something else :D

20. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Ienaga is wasting his abilities honestly. I've scouted him during his last 6 months with Mallorca. He's obviously very good but he walks all the time and does not care enough.

21. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    It was sweet. Actually they did a VERY similar variation of that against Australia in the AC11 final.
    look at about 10:29 on this one:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTM1wMhCqPQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTM1wMhCqPQ[/ame]
    Slightly different and it was on the ground, but the combination was pretty much the same idea, Endo drifting forward and gave off the pass to Maeda.
    ----------------------------------------
    Any quotes from the coaches/players?

22. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    From Zach:

「結果に満足しているし内容にも満足。強い韓国を相手にこれだけの試合ができた」

23. theofaron

theofaron Member

May 11, 2011
    Club:
    Gamba Osaka
    Thanks Saku. But I'm going to have to find a copy of the full game. First time in a while where highlights are not enough for me. :D

BTW I just want to add, it's easy to praise the end product (goals) but a lot of credit really should be given to players who make a difference early on. Such as Endo's steal in that first goal. I totally forgot about it after Kagawa scored the goal, but that highlights really showed his vision in that moment. Hasebe also was important as sort of a decoy while Endo saw the opening with Lee, who passed it brilliantly to Kagawa for the finish. Beautiful, beautiful football when a goal is a product of cohesive teamwork.

Nevertheless, Kagawa's Dortmund chant is stuck in my head. :eek:

24. Flaight

Flaight Member

Mar 11, 2005
    Sentiments around this meet up is definitely mixed on our side that's for sure so I know where you're coming from but usually it's more about the way K carry themselves cuz in the past they tended to become a pretty terrific side against us so our players come under pressure and get tested which is what we need in these games. For me that was the merit but if a match up is going to be as slack as this then I'd agree the benefit of these match ups become less and less.