PBP: 2011/03/07 Algarve: Finland-USA

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Gilmoy, Mar 7, 2011.

1. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I fell off the merry-go-round yesterday

2. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    funny.

but false.

everybody acknowledges that arsenal plays beautiful football. the kind you continually espouse on this board

they did indeed win more. but the football is as or more attractive now as or than it was then.

this is what i'm questioning.

i just don't see any large difference in the german game than in the u.s. game. like i said, maybe i need to see them play more.

but i acknowledge that i am biased.

i don't care how much somebody dribbles and passes a ball around if they can't play a better game - that is win it. and currently, i don't see germany beating the uswnt on neutral pitch. of course, they'll have a huge advantage on their home grounds this summer.

but when i look at the two teams' games, any german superiority is marginal if at all present.

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Huh. I hate tippy tappy, going nowhere, never going to shoot in less it's perfect football. When the excellent Xavi, and not so great but top draw Iniesta ect.. depart, so will the Spanish/Barca love in. I have never seen so many bandwagon Spanish/Barca fan's in my life, so the Arsenal love in makes no sense to me either.

LOL, maybe just a little biased ;). Germany are back to back WWC champs, how much more different do they have to be until they could be measured better than, and not equal to the U.S.? They won on hostile USA soil comprehensivly beating the holders in the process. Then they repeat the feat with a different team, winning without conceeding a goal, while scoring 20 plus goals in the process.

When USA won for the second time on PK's vs China, on home soil no less in 99', you would have thought the WNT was the greatest side to have ever played the female game, LOL. Nobody even questioned that fact, even though the way it was won was no where near as clean cut as Germany in recent times.

Seriously, when you see Germany play you'll get why Sundhage want's the U.S. girls to emulate the Euro game plan. The past 10 years Germany have played football USA only dreams of. They lose plenty of games in the process of getting things right, and they are in no way unbeatable now either.

The U.S. record vs Germany may say it's a closer rivalry than present team play suggests, but so does Norway's vs USA and Germany, and I don't see Norway fans proclaiming to be marginally worse or equal to Germany at present.

Like you say, the fact is Germany are not playing on a neutral ground in this WWC. USA would likely have to bypass Brazil before they even get a go at Germany any way. USA's best chance at WC glory may be Canada in 2015, and by then Germany could be 3 time consecutive WWC winners. Would that be the only thing that pushes Germany ahead in your mind?

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    we seem to be boring the netizens with our fandom. so, i'll make this brief.

all true.

but not what we're discussing.

this is what we're discussing.
    this is what i question while admitting my bias and acknowledging that i might be wrong.

5. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I'll have a double.

6. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The proof I guess is in the WWC puddin'.

I don't know what you see in the current USWNT now, that's any different to previous WWC years. For me though, If USA go out in every game and produce skid mark level performance's in this WC, it's not good enough. Not if the U.S. girls are supposed to be on the same level as a German team playing on home soil.

7. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    All speculation at this point. We'll see what happens when the time comes. Has this subject been beat to death yet!?

8. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Didn't realise we had an audience. Thing is though, If your so sick of it, why you here?

Ahhhh I get it, you want a go. Finnished now, It's all yours kiddo ;).

9. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001

Trying to be snarky are we? Your audience would be nearly 9,400 by now, but who's counting. What can I add, you've said it all. Finland-USA was a long time ago, or so it seems. Can we move on?

10. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0"]YouTube - Rebecca Black - Friday (OFFICIAL VIDEO)[/ame]