(2011.01.29) AFC Asian Cup Final: Japan x Australia [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by OneiroPhobia, Jan 25, 2011.

1. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010
  2. Premiere

Premiere Member

May 23, 2005
    Re: (2011.01.29) AFC Asian Cup F: Japan x Australia [R]

Australia wins Asia Cup is something all nations in Asia must avoid.

They should help Japan to make a Genki Dama.

3. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

I'm raising my hand in the air right now!

4. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory

My nightmare scenario. Hopefully it's a good, even contest, with little controversy and decent reffing. I think Japan will win it, but I'm glad for the progress we've made this tournament, it bodes well for the future.

5. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010

[​IMG]

6. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005

Tough matchup. Australia are going to send in crosses and longballs ALL day. Japan has to swamp midfield and cut off service. Australia will also batter and bruise. Should be fun match.

7. OneiroPhobia

OneiroPhobia Member

Feb 10, 2010

o
    [FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]゚∀゚[/FONT][FONT=&quot])[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ノ[/FONT]

8. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    It's a bad, bad matchup for us relative to our crap third-string CBs as well as the one weakness of our awesome SBs, namely that they are super-short and vulnerable to isolation at the back post against powerful headers of the ball. Nagatomo is never out of position and challenges every header as he should, but he is just at a disadvantage there. We MUST apply nonstop pressure to their mids and fullbacks in attack at all times to deny crosses and deep diagonal passes.

On paper, we should be able to cut their defense to ribbons. But the usual bogeys of final ball decisionmaking and finishing, plus the AFC's patented Ref Randomness, could frustrate us.

I see no reason to expect we can keep a clean sheet against Oz, nor they against us.

I'm gonna go with 3-2 Japan.

9. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan

Watching Korea-Australia;

•** Korea were obviously the technically better team so had lots more possession particularly in the first half.
    • In the 2nd when Australia got their goal (set piece), Korea pushed up to find a winner and that resulted in Australia getting the space to play and counter and caused most/all their chances. They didn't really build any great attacks from the back.
    • Jedinak is more dangerous than other teams have assumed.

So from that I can assume:

• Australia will boot it long a lot. Aim to pick up the 2nd balls.
    • Japan WILL have most of the possession.
    • If we play smartly we should win.

I'm just hoping that they don't get too high & mighty after getting past Korea. That mental aspect is what I'm worried most about. At the same time Australia are a chance to get a bit cocky about the 6-0.

Japan 2-0 I'll go with. When Korea played Australia, Korea weren't at their best and honestly Australia were the far worse team in that contest. It baffles me really how they've only conceded once this tournament. they haven't looked particularly rock-solid at the back.

10. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If Japan wins I call dibs on writing Zac's biography.....

11. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005
    I am not impressed with Zac's overly defensive style tbh. You guys let us back in the match when you bunkered down to defend box after bringing on inoha with over 20 minutes to go I think. It felt almost inevitable that all the long balls would find target which actually miraculously happened. Zac got away with it this time but that's not going to cut it in the long run especially with Japan's defensive woes.

12. melonbarmonster

melonbarmonster Member+

Mar 17, 2005

Korea against Iran and Japan was a much improved side than against Australia which shows just how green Cho's master renovation still is. I'm hoping that Cho will learn on the job and that the younger Korean players will blossum in the next 4 years and hopefully get their deserved stints in Europe.

2-0 sounds about right.

13. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Yeah i'm undecided on this still. I agree we do look more defensive but at the same time we're finding the net pretty often and in a large variety of ways.

I REALLY hope that once we get Kurihara and/or Tulio back in friendlies/Copa America that I'll be delighted to find that Yoshida & Konno was the only reason for being this fragile at the back.

14. tako

tako Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Yokohama
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Some stats from AFC site.
    http://the-afc.stats.com/acup/matchcast.html

------------------Uzbek---Aussie
    Shots on target----3--------14
    Shots off target----5---------0
    Possesion---------67--------33
    Distance run-----106-------112

It is amazing Aussie have 14 shots on target while 0 shots off target!
    And very low posseision. They are extremely efficient team, very good at both near ends.
    It is good for Japan they lack kenedy,but I really miss Nakazawa and Tulio against them.

15. ISUSucks

ISUSucks New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Japan
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    What happened to the Uzbeks? 4 goals in the last 25 minutes... They just gave up like the Saudi? BTW what a nice way of starting the thread.. Can't believe Australians spent hours making that. At least, now I know that they love us.

3-2 for Japan.

16. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    I'm actually very appalled at the G&G army. and I was at that game when they put that banner up.

17. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory

Unlikely, as Japan are a different level of opponent altogether - no disrespect intended to Uzbekistan.

It's safe to say Australia weren't at their best either, and I hope we still aren't. But there were patches in that game that Australia were able to play a passing game equal to Korea [edited slight over-enthusiasm out], especially after Kilkenny came on, that one can draw a positive from. But Korea were favored to win that game, deservedly, so a draw was a good result.

Perhaps having the highest-rated keeper in the competition? He's made a number of crucial saves. Also the new CB pairing of Neill and Ogenovski has gelled really well as the tournament as progressed, and the the work ethic of a couple of our midfielders in tracking back has been good.

The way Japan cut Korea apart in the first half, however, shows that it's another ball game altogether in the final. A big step up.

18. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    I agree with you on that, they are shocking ambassadors and simply a money-spinning enterprise these days.

19. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain

OT: Oh, and happy Australia Day ;) 6-0 thrashing got the celebrations underway.

20. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    I think everyone is a bit sleepy today! And hopefully not getting carried away with the result.

21. lilcookie

lilcookie Member

May 6, 2005
    choc chip mountain
    Nah, Australia will amp their game in the final... after all it's against Japan.
    And they usually do very well when it really matters.

22. mv_nelson

mv_nelson Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Well I hope so. Still, I'm picking Japan to win it. Their best is better than ours at the moment.

23. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm actually very worried with the CBs now. Iwamasa was not as convincing as I wanted him to be, not so great in the air and pretty damn clumsy at many occasions.

Damn. And I don't really know if Yoshida is any better. I fkcing miss Tulio and Nakazawa. Even Makino.

And am I the only one that think Endo has been sloppy this tournament?

I'm pretty satisfied with everything else. Okazaki is so damn good and so is Nagatomo , also Uchida showed glimpses of why he is so popular. Maeda only scores when there is an easy goal it seems, does not creat so much himself. Not like Okazaki.

24. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Endo again was rather inconsistent. Probably it has to do with him helping out our constantly changing backline. For me, that is not something he is great at. If Abe was there we would have a real option on that position, but since he's not, I am not comfortable replacing Endo going into the final.
    However, he shouldn't take corners or he should take them short.

Also regarding Zac trying to run away with a 1 goal-lead. That is something which will not work for our current shape in defense and especially against a team with Cahill.

25. Schoolboy Errors

Schoolboy Errors New Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Sydney
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Is this sort of stuff really necessary?

Anyway, ignoring that rubbish, cannot wait for the final, recent Japan Aus games have been crackers.