2010 UNC Tar Heels

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Holmes

Holmes New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    AD is, and will continue to, pay the price for his nonsensical recruiting classes between the Heath, Hawkins, Washington, etc. class and the current freshman class. Next year's incoming class is just as bizarre.

I've never understood why AD didn't have a competent back line waiting in the wings for the departure of the Engen line. He had plenty of time to plan for it.

2. Holmes

Holmes New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Is Courtney Jones still hobbling? She hasn't played many minutes.

3. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    I expected our defense to struggle this game but the offense hasnt done much either. Scoring three goals on very little shots is great finishing. We had a great bracket if we could of won this one. Oh well.

4. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    We can't finish. Some great looks.

5. Holmes

Holmes New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    4-1....it is starting to get embarrassing.

6. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    we get the. go away.

ND with almost perfect finishing, Anna has looked bad.

7. Lensois

Lensois Member

May 19, 2004
    Er, they do video exchanges the week prior anyway and also will get video from other opponents as well so streaming the game would not provide a disadvantage to the team moving on.

8. Holmes

Holmes New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Having not played goal for months, that can't come as a surprise. Even with the mistake, removing Daly seemed rash to me.

Nevertheless, the Heels have far more problems than just the goalie.

9. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    She let in some savable goals.

This game was a reality that was shown in some previous matches. That the defense wasnt going to be good enough to go far. ND pounched on every chance they had. We blunderd some looks in the 2nd half. Pretty bad result with a week to prepare. Youth showed tonight. GL to Rachel, Meghan, Ali and thanks for help winning a few NCAA titles. Back to the drawing board for us. I'm sure all the UNC haters enjoyed the result tonight. It was a sound beatening like no one has given us during the NCAA's.

10. goirish8228

goirish8228 New Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Disrespecting your opponent on game day makes the karma fairy very unhappy. You guys were asking for it...

Go Irish.

11. DemitriMaximoffX

Aug 19, 2006
    First multiple goal loss since 1985 NCAA Final. First three goal loss as an NCAA program. I could have foreseen ND winning but certainly not by this margin. Anybody at the game think that playing Dunn in defense would have made a significant difference?

12. Holmes

Holmes New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Even if they had won today, I think they would have been exposed by another team later in the tournament.

The seeds of this loss(and season) were sewn years ago. Until the current freshman class, AD's recruiting had been awful(by his standards) for a few classes. I don't know if that was a byproduct of AD's troubles with the SH case or what, but there are some avoidable holes in this team.

I worry that with the departure of Kling, Hawkins and Givan, and a mediocre class coming in, next season could be just as bad.

Before this year, has UNC ever lost 3 home matches in a season?

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    This is very good for women's college soccer.
    UNC getting smacked around like this for the first time in their program's history in a crucial game.

Parity continues to narrow the gap.
    Stanford has now taken over as the true #1 program in today's women's college game, provided they finish it this year by winning their first National Title.

At this point, if it's not Stanford, somebody crazy is gonna win the National Championship. Maybe Ohio State. Maybe UC Irvine or Washington. WOW.

14. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    I have no idea why you keep on blaming recruiting. What are you talking about? We played a team tonight that was very young against a veteran ND team that finished their chances. Games against good teams are 50-50. With whatever team that plays well that day winning.

15. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Stanford might want to win one title first. Parity finally got us when we had to replace 8 players from the past 2 NCAA title winners.

16. Holmes

Holmes New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    This is crazy.

Stanford has never won a National Championship. Notre Dame has more of a claim than Stanford.

Furthermore, UNC had won 3 of 4 National Championships coming into this season. It is going to take more than one bad loss in a rebuilding year to lose the mantle of top program.

17. South American

Aug 3, 2008
    The sky is falling the sky is falling..UNC is going to lose games there is parity, but this team is very young. No one expects them to win every year, Just last year UNC defeated an undefeated Stanford for the National title. Stanford will have to go a long way to be called the true#1 program in womens soccer. Maybe for this year, but wining a title for the first time does not make a dynasty!.

18. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    The vultures can go back to their caves. We'll be strong next year. I'm almost surprised we made it this far. GO HEELS!

19. Holmes

Holmes New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    I keep blaming recruiting because this team has more holes than any UNC team I've ever seen. I mean no disrespect to some of the players, who are out there busting their butts, but there are players on this team that would never get significant minutes on virtually every one of AD's past teams.

Again, I fear next season will be just as bad. Kling is irreplaceable. The backline will still have problems, unless the incoming freshman defender is great. Same goes for the midfield.

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    But they will become the #1 program in "today's game", which is exactly what I said. I didn't say #1 women's program of all time (which will always belong to UNC in our lifetimes). I said "today's game". If Stanford wins it all (still a big if at this point), they will become the (sorta current Fifa ranked) #1 team in today's game, while UNC will have to gain that back (which I'm sure they will soon).

Of course UNC is the best women's program of all time, and will always have the most championships. That'll never change.

21. Holmes

Holmes New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Again, UNC had won 3 of 4 NC's coming into the season. Had Stanford even made 3 College Cups in their programs history?

22. CCUNC07

CCUNC07 Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How, exactly? North Carolina is the defending National Champ two years in a row, with a victory over Stanford in last season's championship.

Sorry, this is just a delusional post. Stanford may be the best team this season but the sport's best current program - absolutely not. Quite honestly, they are playing great soccer but they have never been on North Carolina's level as a program.

23. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    They do? Name all these holes then.

Dino didnt replace the backline well this season.

Didnt help we had a lot of injuries and different line ups.

24. CCUNC07

CCUNC07 Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "Today's game" is not analogous with "this season." The former suggests over the recent years - not the current season. Furthermore, referring to a program versus a specific team is very misleading and, in this situation, false.

'Stanford is the best team in women's soccer this season' is not the same as 'Stanford is the best program in women's today in today's game.' The differences in overt meaning and implication are very clear.

Best of luck to Stanford in the NCAAs.

25. Holmes

Holmes New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Who replaces Kling? Would Premji play significant minutes on any of AD's past teams? This was probably the weakest midfield in UNC history, and I don't see it changing unless one of the incoming freshman is a surprise. It would be nice if Morris could move up to midfield, but who would replace her on the back line? Does AD put Wood back there with an incoming freshman? Bless her heart, but she is too slow.

Will Rich continue to come off the bench? Will he move one of the forwards back to midfield?